Motoring Discussion > Cycle Protest Delays David Beckham! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 4

Cycle Protest Delays David Beckham! - Duncan
During the Olympics 180 cyclists were arrested near the Olympic stadium.

They were in court yesterday (Monday), but I can't find a link. This is a link to the story of their arrest. I am surprised that this hasn't been picked up on here before - unless I missed it, of course.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19023104

It would seem that The Blessed David Beckham was, or may have been, slightly delayed in his limousine (motoring link).

Shock! Horror!
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 26 Feb 13 at 08:55
 Cycle Protest Delays David Beckham! - Boxsterboy
These cyclists do like to make a fuss about themselves, don't they! They were warned they would be arrested, ignored the warnings, and so were arrested. Attention-seeking prats.
 Cycle Protest Delays David Beckham! - Crankcase
Well, you may recall I posted about our local cycling group saying that compulsory hi-vis wasn't something they felt they could support.

Today they feel that if you don't like them, you should be held to be committing a hate crime.

Quote:

the "stigma" of being labelled a "cyclist" was one of the biggest factors why some people did not use bicycles.

In a written submission, the campaign said cyclists should be treated in the same way as ethnic minorities."

Endquote

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Hatred-of-cyclists-should-be-treated-as-a-crime-says-Cambridge-campaign-group-27022013.htm

I can't see how this kind of stuff helps, to be honest.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 09:22
 Cycle Protest Delays David Beckham! - Duncan
Cyclists in court.

Links:

tinyurl.com/c84rje7

www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3699653.ece
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 10:00
 Cycle Protest Delays David Beckham! - Bromptonaut
I suspect that some were warned but many other were caught out on a legitimate ride.

The Police have previously tried to ban the monthly Critical Mass ride using anti demo legisaltion. They were overruled in the Civil Courts. This looks very much like an attempt to show who's boss and 'teach people a lesson'.

Waste of police time - the officer who ordered it should be surcharged.
Latest Forum Posts