Motoring Discussion > MPG tracking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 9

MPG tracking - mikeyb
Been using this site for a while

www.fuelly.com

Found it a useful site for tracking MPG - just enter miles driven since last fuel up plus amount added and it calculates your MPG. Also tracks the price paid and you can add notes such as name of station etc.

I've been using it for 6 or so months now, so it gives you a good longer term view
 MPG tracking - rtj70
I now use an app called Fuellog on my Android phone.
 MPG tracking - BobbyG
Still use the same spreadsheet I first made up for my first Scenic 14 years ago!
 MPG tracking - sherlock47
>> Still use the same spreadsheet I first made up for my first Scenic 14 years
>> ago!
>>

same again - it allows better flexibility so that you can see long term average,last 5 fills, seasonable variation, who supplied the fuel for comarison purposes ,....... and all sorts of anal indulgences :)

Never showed any improvements with premium grades of diesel!
 MPG tracking - Zero
And having recorded every fill in minute detail, how has this enriched your life?
 MPG tracking - BiggerBadderDave
One tank every three weeks. Simple.
 MPG tracking - Crankcase
I did spreadsheets for a while - couple of years. Once I'd done that, and got to some reliable figures for the car, I can now say - yes, I know my average mpg for this car.

I know it costs me approximately £1500 a year in fuel to run. If I want to buy another car that only does half the mpg, for example, (which is perfectly possible) I know my extra fuel cost will therefore be another £125 a month, so I can factor that into the purchase decision.

That's all I need to know really. Otherwise, the in car mpg reading is good enough to warn if something has gone severely awry.
 MPG tracking - sherlock47
>>how has this enriched your life?<<<

keeps my brain active?

Better than twitching for trains in my book :) But I do enjoy you videos, so I would not criticise you for doing it!
 MPG tracking - TeeCee
>> And having recorded every fill in minute detail, how has this enriched your life?
>>

I've only ever done this once and that was as it was mandatory for fleet cars in CZ while I was working there.
As my vehicle was a Skoda Octavia 20v Turbo 4x4, drank fuel like it was free and I drove it like I stole it[1], the boss had kittens when I submitted the first one. 14 l/100km......! I never did get it below 12.

I remember that, when I ordered it, one of the locals asked me what I was smoking as it was a thirsty beast. I responded; "Er, company fuel card....?". He had no answer to that, other than to berate himself for not having thought of that aspect before ordering the frugal 2wd derv variant.

[1] Very difficult not to. The harder it was driven, the better it got. One of the best cars I've ever had my paws on and I'd have another one tomorrow (but only if someone else were paying for the fuel....).
 MPG tracking - mikeyb
Sorry, I should have made the point in my original post that this is also a rich source of information - has far more data than HJ's real MPG data
Latest Forum Posts