Motoring Discussion > windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 13

windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - Mapmaker
£25 through insurance, £48 to pay for it. Worth not going through insurance in order to keep premiums down? (I pay about £600 p.a. with a £1,000 excess on my old banger.)
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - Meldrew
I thought most insurance policies give chi repairs without charge to the policy holder and replace a screen subject the payment of an excess, usually around £75. Having a chip repaired at their cost does not (normally) affect NCB
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - Zero
I have a 50 excess charge for windscreen replacement, free repairs, and does not affect NCB.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 13:26
Not NCB, what about the premium itself though. They're not a charity.

(They're Elephant, so you pay for your own repairs. Suits me.)
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - Meldrew
A chip repair is not a "claim" so if you trawl around comparison sites you don't have to mention it. I would be very surprised if the Elephant gave the lowest quote for any applicant or risk. On my last renewal they were £200 more than the lowest quote I got ie not even close
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 13:35
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - No FM2R
>>A chip repair is not a "claim" so if you trawl around comparison sites you don't have to mention it

Sorry, that is not correct.

I seriously doubt that they would do anything about it, even if you had couple. but it *is* a claim and as such should be disclosed unless you are specifically told you do not need to. i.e. some proposals state that one glass claim may be ignored.

Non-disclosure of a single glass claim is not going to cause any issues, even in the event of a claim, but it is still technically a non-disclosure.

Two glass claims could affect your glass excess and thus would be material non-disclosure.

It is *always* better to tell everything. And remember, it is not their responsibility to ask, it is your responsibility to disclose.
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - Crankcase
I might have mentioned before, can't recall, that a year or two back there was some blah in the policy renewal about disclosing everything, including medication.

So I told them about my blood pressure tablets, which about 90% of the population are on.

They said that was indeed material, noted it, and it appears on my paperwork now, although at least at the time there was no premium change.
I havent told them I am rubbish driver. There is no where on the form to put that. Funny you would have thought that was the one thing they would have wanted to know.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 18:48
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - No FM2R
>>the one thing they would have wanted to know.

They, like most of the rest of the South of England, already know.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 16:31
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - PhilW
"They, like most of the rest of the South of England, already know. "

Oy! Don't leave us Midlanders and Northerners out !
Bigot!
yes quite right, my biggest accidents have been in the midlands.
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - Marc4Six
Last time I made a windscreen claim about 3 years ago it was right after receiving my renewal quote and the amended quote with the claim was loaded by £25 on a £300 policy.

So it can make a difference, the call centre couldn't grasp that I wasn't happy to pay an additional £25 over 5 years for a £60 repair, I went elsewhere.
 windscreen repair - insurance or pay for it? - -
£48 is a lot for a screen repair, is that from the company that saturate advertises the most banal commercials known to man?

Last screen i had fitted was via a local screen company recommended by my MB indy, (but all car dealers and workshops and especially small one man and his dog bodyshops will know who to call), MB screen supplied and fitted for £175 all in, expect the indy fitter repairs to be simlarly reasonable,
>>is that from the company that saturate advertises the most banal commercials known to man?

No idea who you mean. It's autowindscreens who are Elephant's approved supplier. Means that if the windscreen is beyond repair they can sort the replacement, under insurance. I'm paying for convenience, I know, but the idea of having more than one company dealing with all this pains me.
Latest Forum Posts