Motoring Discussion > Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 8

Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - TheManWithNoName
This morning whilst walking the sprogs to school I witnessed a woman squeeze past a parked car and remove another car's wing mirror. The driver continued on her way and couldn't have failed to realise what damage she'd caused. The crunch was audible from 25 metres away. It gave me time to memorise her reg number and stick it in my mobile.

On the way back from dropping the kids off I intended to knock on the door of the house outside which the car was located, to advise the owner. The car's owner just happened to be climbing in so I stopped her and told her i had the reg of the car that caused the damage. A motorist who also witnessed the ding had stopped and he too told the owner he had a note of the reg scribbled on a receipt. We compared 'notes' and had both recorded the same reg, make and model of the perpetrators car.
She was ever so grateful. I just hope the follows it up with a call to the local plod.
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - Dog
Proper job NoNameMan.
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - Westpig
>> The
>> car's owner just happened to be climbing in so I stopped her and told her
>> i had the reg of the car that caused the damage.

I did that last year (the witness bit and leaving my details, not the bad driving)...and the car that was damaged belonged to an older lady in her 60's who was extremely grateful, so much so she insisted she wished to buy me a gift! I'd left my details on her windscreen having witnessed some dopey tart scrape right down the side of it in a car park and drive off.

It went to court.

Coincidentally, the Magistrates Court is 50 yards away from a barrister's chambers where my mate was the chief clerk....so on the morning of the hearing I popped in on the way to court and suggested lunch. Imagine my surprise to hear that his chambers was representing the defendant! I thought he was winding me up.

We won though. The barrister persuaded her to plead Guilty half way through..so it can't have been going well for them.

I didn't accept any gift. Even though I was retired by the time the hearing came round (wasn't when the accident happened), it wouldn't have been right. She was well persistent though, bless her. She was a salt of the earth type person, had retired once, but was back working part-time because of her skills. She told me when I refused the gift that if she ever met me in her professional capacity, I'd be treated like a lord...I did advise that i'd prefer to duck that privilege..as she was a coronary care nurse at the major hospital!
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - R.P.
As mentioned before, my Good Samaritan was an artisan on his way to work, picked the scoot off my leg. No-one else bothered.
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - Dog
>>She told me when I refused the gift that if she ever met me in her professional capacity, I'd be treated like a lord...I did advise that i'd prefer to duck that privilege..as she was a coronary care nurse at the major hospital!<<

I thought for a minute you were going to say she was in another, eh, game.

:}
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - Manatee
>> I just hope the follows it up with a call to the local plod.

I hope you left your own details - no good without the witness unless she coughs.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 19:19
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - Armel Coussine
1973, heard a squeal of tyres outside herself's mother's pad in Notting Hill and saw an Aston Martin that had braked hard for the lights and slid down the camber a bit, stopping very close indeed to my newish Dyane. Later, on coming out, saw that the Aston Martin had actually clouted the floppy rear wing of the Dyane leaving it rippled and with paint marks. An observant passer-by had left the car's number scribbled on an envelope under my wiper.

Can't remember but I think the Old Bill gave me the AM owner's phone number, and I think he just gave me the money by cheque. A month or two later the wheel bearing on that wheel became noisy and had to be changed. Doubtless also a result of that bump, but I didn't follow it up.
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - Ambo
I tripped and stumbled on to a lamp post last year. As I am on Warfarin, the (later 21-stitch) head wound was bleeding heavily and I thought it so thoughtful of the motorist who slowed down to have a good look, before driving on.

He could not have known that the capable young woman at the foot of the road was waiting to signal the much-delayed ambulance she had called, and who insisted on staying with me until it arrived.
 Good samaritans and a nice warm feeling - TheManWithNoName
>> >> I just hope the follows it up with a call to the local plod.
>>
>> I hope you left your own details - no good without the witness unless she
>> coughs.
>>

That evening I realised I had not given my details. Imagine my surprise this morning on the school run (walk) when, as I approached the car the owner was sitting in the passenger seat waiting for me to walk past. She'd been to the local police station the previous evening and they'd advised her to get the witness details in case the other driver denied responsibility. She looked very relieved when I walked past so I dropped the kids off and said I'd pop in to see her on my return.
Latest Forum Posts