Motoring Discussion > Road Sign shape - stupid Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 9

Road Sign shape - stupid - IJWS14
I was always taught that give way (inverted traingle) and stop (octagon) signs were a different shape so you knew what they were even when covered by a coating of blown snow.

A couple of days ago I saw a stop sign, the usual octagon, but on a round sign with white patches where the sign was bigger than the red octagon . . .

What were the council thinking when they installed it!

Perhaps they think it never snows here!
 Road Sign shape - stupid - Manatee
Where's here?
 Road Sign shape - stupid - Bromptonaut
UK was a late adopter of the 'international' octagon. The original pictogram type, used until the seventies, was circular.
 Road Sign shape - stupid - Robbie34
The original halt sign was T shaped.

I remember being asked at my driving test how do you tell the difference between a halt sign and a give way sign when they are covered in snow.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 10:22
 Road Sign shape - stupid - Bromptonaut
>> The original halt sign was T shaped.
>>
>> I remember being asked at my driving test how do you tell the difference between
>> a halt sign and a give way sign when they are covered in snow.

The original pre-sixties pattern was. It was superceded by a circular type as part of the move to pictogram etc styles in sixties - see:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_sign
 Road Sign shape - stupid - bathtub tom
>>
>> I remember being asked at my driving test how do you tell the difference between
>> a halt sign and a give way sign when they are covered in snow.

Good Grief Robbie, whenever did you take your test?
I remember that question too!
 Road Sign shape - stupid - IJWS14
Don't recall exactly where the sign was but is in the band between Stafford and Birmingham Airport as I haven't been further afield.

Don't remember a T shaped sign but I do recall the open triangles, I was born in the sixties so didn't pay that much attention to them.

Road Sign shape - stupid - R.P.
Is it on a public road ?
 Road Sign shape - stupid - Cliff Pope

>> Good Grief Robbie, whenever did you take your test?

>> I remember that question too!
>>

Probably in 1966 like me.
 Road Sign shape - stupid - TeeCee
>>

It's been a while since I saw one, but weren't they also studded with reflective "cat's eyes" to make the "T" stand out at night?
Latest Forum Posts