Motoring Discussion > Insurance for over-80s Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 6

Insurance for over-80s - Mike H
I'm hoping someone here can suggest an insurance company/broker that might be able to provide a decent deal on insurance for my father, who was 80 in April last year.

The background is that up until 3 years ago, he always had his own car with NCB. Three years ago next month, he took on a Motability vehicle, because my mother was registered disabled and in receipt of all the disability living allowances. Unfortunately, just over a month ago she had a severe stroke and is in hospital, where she is likely to be for an extended period - no idea how long at the moment, but she has yet to get any mobility or speech back. As a result, her DLA has been stopped, with the unfortunate side effect that my father, who now cannot walk any distance because of problems with his knees, has to give the car back. At 80, he can't apply for Disability Liiving Allowance, so that avenue is closed.

I'm looking at buying the vehicle for him, so that he doesn't have to hand it back, which means that he'll need his own insurance. I was hoping that other forum members might have some ideas on where he might get a sensible quote. His last year of insurance, when he had a Renault 18 estate, cost him £180. We had a quote yesterday from RIAS, the same company, for £570, on his Peugeot Partner Tepee 1.6HDi (90bhp).

It may be that in a few months, my mother might get her allowance back, in which case he'll get another Motability vehicle - the lease on this one expires in April this year and he had already completed all the paperwork to get a new one. We'll then sell the Partner.

This is all a bit of a cruel blow for him, as he had no intention of giving up driving despite being 80. He was a professional HGV driver and trainer, still drives pretty well, and only last summer drove to Austria to visit us.
 Insurance for over-80s - Dog
See what these people come up with Mike: www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/
 Insurance for over-80s - Bill Payer
I think LV= (Liverpool Victoria) failry recently did away with their upper age limit. Good company, but their premiums seem to vary wildly. There's always the obvious SAGA.
 Insurance for over-80s - Manatee
£570 doesn't sound too surprising to me. I'd be interested to hear how much you can get that down.
 Insurance for over-80s - Mike H
Just tried the moneysupermarket site, and have managed to whittle it down to around £390 with LV= (thanks Dog). I'm assuming that he'll get sufficient evidence from the Motability insurers to get at least 3 years NCB. Whether they will accept his NCB evidence from his pre-motability insurers remains to be seen, which will help us to get it down even more, will have to depend on negotiation with individual insurers.
 Insurance for over-80s - Dog
I had my house/contents renewal from Churchill this week = £400 :(

Ran it through Moneysupermarket, cheapest quote was £159!

I went with AXA in the end and even with adding on the options of Home Assistance and Family Legal Protection,
we still saved oodles.

Insurance for over-80s - kb
Try.... www.adrianflux.co.uk/
Latest Forum Posts