Motoring Discussion > GPS Apps for Tablets Computing Issues
Thread Author: fellwalker Replies: 13

GPS Apps for Tablets - fellwalker
I would welcome advice from the forum on this topic. I think Android GPS apps, such as Co-Pilot, will work once a map has been downloaded, but will the 'turn by turn/motorway junction/lane guidance' function work without a 3g data connection? I don't have a mobile phone with that facility and wouldn't want to pay data charges anyway and a wi-fi connection is clearly not applicable in the car.

I ask this because of a reply I found on an Android forum which said "Because you can only cache a relatively small area, plus no turn-by-turn navigation without wifi". (which I take to mean also "and/or 3g or 4g".

I am thinking of getting a Nexus 10 tablet and want to use it, among other things, as a SatNav, as my current TomTom is showing signs of age! I need to know particularly whether an app, not necessarily Co-Pilot - could be Google Maps, will give the lane directions and exits which I get, and rely on, from the TomTom. Thanks in advance if you can help.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - Zero
I though co-pilot worked as a proper sat nav on nexus 7

I think however a nexus 10 is completely unsuitable as a sat nav. You cant use a sat nav on voice commands only, the 10 inch display is too big to go in line of sight, and if out of line of sight you will be tempted to look down.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - lancara
Used Sygic on an Asus Transformer tablet on a couple of occasions travelling across Spain. As Zero noted above, way over the top on a 10" tablet, but it worked OK - very impressive coming through the mountain passes in the North -West as you can have a 3D view. Unless you're driving a 40-tonner, I'd sstick with the bog-standard Garmin/TomTom.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - andyfr
You can now get the TomTom app for the Nexus.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - rtj70
The likes of TomTom, CoPilot etc. all support offline maps and navigation. As does Nokia HERE.

You can also cache Google Maps for an area and that means navigation works offline too. It was always the case with Google Navigation Beta that the route was calculated and some of the maps was cached so would work if you lost the 3G signal.
>> You can now get the TomTom app for the Nexus.

Only for the 7 i think
 GPS Apps for Tablets - andyfr
It is for Android so would maybe work on the larger one also. I'm sure the definitive answer could be found on a Nexus forum.
I'm not so sure it will work on the Nexus 10. It didn't support the higher resolution phones (1280x720) until recently. And I bet it doesn't support even the latest phones with 1920x1080 screens.
Yes, TomTom is very resolution dependent. Pretty sure it wont work on the 10.
When initially released it didn't work on a lot of phones including mine. All down to screen resolution.

Not bought it because (a) my car has satnav built in (b) I have a working TomTom - I think... not used for a while.

But for the small sum it's tempting.... I got my first satnav via a HP iPAQ and Navan Bluetooth GPS in January 2004. Not great software so switched to TomTom and I've liked TT ever since. But recent dedicated units would annoy me... mine was/is a TT720.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - Crankcase
There is something about the TomTom. I have six other free sat navs on my phone, and the paid for TomTom, and however often I try the free ones, and however vociferous the supporters are for them, I always end up going back to TT. It just works, well and reliably.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - Tigger
Having done it, I can tell you that Google Navigation works if you download the maps and set the route before you leave home.

However, if you deviate from the route it needs a 3g signal to recalculate the route.

I don't know about any of the others.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - Stuartli
I use GiffGaff for my HTC (GG is a division of 02 but charges a fraction of the prices). My Goodybag costs £10 a month, offers 250 minutes of talk, unlimited texts and 1GB of data (the data used to be unlimited as well, but now costs an additional £2 due to those who abused the facility).

See:

www.giffgaff.com

It may help you with your requirements.
 GPS Apps for Tablets - fellwalker
Thank you all for your replies which have helped me to decide what to do next. What I was looking for was reassurance that a tablet, preferably a 10" one, would double as a SatNav. It is, as advised by responders, possible, but there are also complications. In view of the replies I have not now ruled out getting another dedicated SatNav, thus leaving my options for a tablet open, and wider.
Latest Forum Posts