Motoring Discussion > Yinging and Yanging. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 7

Yinging and Yanging. - R.P.
To make up for the guy who stopped and helped me at the scene of my scooter crash, I stopped to help and old guy with a puncture in town this afternoon. Front tyre as flat as sandwich (as they say around here). The Pug 306 hangs its spare open to the elements - all attempts to undo the rack failed - rusted solid as it was. Plan B was to get the wheel off and take it to a nearby tyre depot for a fix. As we were progressing plan B a woman stopped and offered more help - out of the back of her people carrier the took out the biggest **** off compressor I have ever seen - cordless it was permanently plugged into a power point in the load area of the car - I jacked the car up a touch to take the weight off the wheel so the compressor would have a chance to work. Five minutes it was inflated to an impressive 40psi - enough to get the guy to a nearby ATS. There was talk of him driving home on it....what exactly the point of that was I don't know. Hopefully Karma will look after me a litte now.
 Yinging and Yanging. - Westpig
>> Hopefully Karma will look after me a litte now.

Well done, doing the 'right thing' should never be that difficult...but to some it never crosses their mind.

Some years back a very heavily pregnant Indian lady came in to the front counter of Pinner Police station whilst I was chatting to the civilian station officer...and asked for help with a flat tyre on her VW Golf in a nearby car park.

It was a sod of a job, because the wheel hadn't been off in a while, I got covered in brake dust and neanderthal man had put the wheel nuts on (with his air gun) and using the little lever was hard work...and it was raining.

Job eventually done...she offered me a fiver....which I obviously refused.

I disappeared off out on patrol, then a little while later got called in the to the nick again.. the lady with the VW had returned and left me a decent bottle of wine........

........which I had to declare to the chief officer of police for that area, who put it in his safe, so that it could be donated to a charity or raffle or something similar....(Cobblers...that's what should have happened, but I took it home and drank it..it was lovely).
 Yinging and Yanging. - Dog
In the mid 70's I used to work in the Shell petrol garage on Brixton Hill and a spade shot orf without paying for his fuel.

I rang the old bill who stopped him down near Acre La. and I had to shut up shop and go down to where they were.

They asked me if I wanted to press charges which freaked me out a bit as I only worked there like.

So I said no, he's coughed up the sponduliks - let that be a lesson to him.

Later in the week his parents came into the garage and were ever so thankful for what I had (or hadn't) done they gave me a sort-of hamper containing all manner of goodies :)
 Yinging and Yanging. - Armel Coussine
>> Later in the week his parents came into the garage and were ever so thankful for what I had (or hadn't) done they gave me a sort-of hamper containing all manner of goodies :)

Correct behaviour on everyone's part Perro.

I was minicabbing out of the Quadrant in Clapham in 1973 and 1975, for several months each time. You were well inside our manor. We may even have met!

I learned a lot doing that work and it improved my driving from too gung-ho to more or less sane. Used to commute from Notting Hill and do 12-hour shifts in that foreign land South London, which I came to like...
 Yinging and Yanging. - Dog
I used to do 10pm-7am 6 nights per week Sire, so got a lot of cabbies coming n' going, got a few ladies-of-the-night too asking me to get them something from the vending machines in the toilets.

The Shell garage was up the top of Brixton hill on the LH side (going up) it was part of the Lawrences Garages Group, snotty looking git he was :}
 Yinging and Yanging. - hawkeye
>> The Pug
>> 306 hangs its spare open to the elements - all attempts to undo the rack
>> failed - rusted solid as it was.

A timely reminder to all you lucky owners of PSA products with this particular feature to drop the spare, put some air in it and grease the bolt.
 Yinging and Yanging. - rtj70
And to check it's still actually there! Someone might have taken it. Or it might be the wrong tyre if you've never lowered it to check it out.

At least there is a spare on these.... so many cars now doing without a proper spare. I'm glad if I needed it, my spare is another full size alloy.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 2 Mar 13 at 17:52
 Yinging and Yanging. - Boxsterboy
At least they have a full sized spare, unlike so many newer cars.
Latest Forum Posts