Motoring Discussion > What's this called? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 5

What's this called? - Rudedog
Sorry for being so dumb, but what it the proper name for the 'thing' that you plug your seatbelt into?

Mine has started to play up and after about an hour stops recognising that the belt is plugged in and therefore starts the alarm/warning to tell to fasten up.

I've started to wedge a pen in between the belt and the 'thing' which stops it, I guess there must be some kind of spring inside which has got a bit tired and so a connection isn't being made, I expect it's going to be a replacement rather than a repair which will cost a bit.
 What's this called? - R40
'TONGUE (male) connector
The part that is pushed into the Buckle when connecting the Seat Belt and is ejected when the quick release is used.

BUCKLE (female) connector
The part into which the tongue is pushed when connecting the Seat Belt.
Generally located just on or below the hip on Seat Belts or on the lap of Harnesses.
The Buckle is connected to the vehicle by means of:

A Stalk/Cable with an anchorage hole.
A Metal strap with an anchorage hole.
Webbing with an end bracket.'

hth :)
 What's this called? - Meldrew
TONGUE (male) connector
The part that is pushed into the Buckle when connecting the Seat Belt and is ejected when the quick release is used.

BUCKLE (female) connector
The part into which the tongue is pushed when connecting the Seat Belt.
Generally located just on or below the hip on Seat Belts or on the lap of Harnesses.
The Buckle is connected to the vehicle by means of:

A Stalk/Cable with an anchorage hole.
A Metal strap with an anchorage hole.
Webbing with an end bracket.
 What's this called? - CGNorwich
That's a coincidence ;-)

give the author their due

www.securon.co.uk/seat_belts_components.htm
 What's this called? - Rudedog
Thanks, and I'll try and avoid the obvious joke there with the Male tongue and the Female buckle!! (sorry)
Last edited by: Rudedog on Sun 17 Mar 13 at 22:10
 What's this called? - Dave_
I bought a seatbelt complete with its (pretensioner) buckle a few years ago from a scrappy for 15 quid.
Latest Forum Posts