Motoring Discussion > Motorway Cops. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 61

Motorway Cops. - Zero
Staring, last night, the infamous PC Angus Nairn. Yes the the same Jock cop who delights in driving round in HGV's to nick lorry drivers not wearing seat belts, Angus "I have no tolerance for speeders"...

Last night he was 2nd crew in a fully marked up, luminous motorway patrol car driven by a girl pc (who clearly dislikes him) through some temporary road works, 40mph speed limit, when a car comes rushing up past them, so fast the girl cop at first assumed it was another cop car.

But no, it was not, so off they set in pursuit.

85mph, through the speed limit, 105 mph out of the zone, they pull him over

Driver is Far East Asian, with apparent poor gasps of english. Our Angus then makes loads of snide comments about being able to count, and read numbers, then makes smart ass remarks about the BMW the perp was driving being too powerful for him, suggesting he should be driving a fiat cinquecento, and then lets him off!!!! WTF!!! Off camera claims that he is happy to have given a lecture and the perp will have learned his lesson, when it was clear to all that everything he was saying had gone clear over his head.

The end of program notes reveal the perp our Angus let off, was caught 3 weeks later doing over 100mph.

Angus is a real credit to his profession.
 Motorway Cops. - -
These fly on the wall shows show some participants in a good light, unfortunately they also attract idiots who seem to want to be in the spotlight and the geezer in question must be a TV producers dream come true.

If you were a senior ranking officer you'd surely have the good sense to have a list of those deemed fit to allow the cameras out with, and another list (kept quiet) of those who shouldn't be allowed out unaccompanied and then not within a mile of a camera crew.

The public mention of his name alone must see thousands of real front line coppers cringe and face palm in unison.

Motorway Cops. - Pat
>> Our Angus then makes loads of snide comments about being able to count, and read numbers<<

Rumour has it he used to have the same trouble himself when he was an owner Driver.

Pat
 Motorway Cops. - Fenlander
Yes that guy to my mind is a walking PR disaster for the police... yet you would assume they don't see it that way.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 26 Mar 13 at 14:57
 Motorway Cops. - TeeCee
>> The end of program notes reveal the perp our Angus let off, was caught 3 weeks later doing over 100mph.

And I suspect got the book thrown at him for doing so.
That's the right way to do it, tick 'em off the first time and prosecute to the full extent if they do it again.

If you really want "zero tolerance", the answer's simple. Get rid of those luminous cars and the expensive plod inside 'em and spend the money on cameras. Nobody ever got a ticking off from a camera.

Be careful what you ask for.......
 Motorway Cops. - Robin O'Reliant
Angus is a text book case of someone who fell deeply in love the first time he looked in a mirror.
 Motorway Cops. - bathtub tom
>>The end of program notes reveal the perp our Angus let off

I understood Angus didn't give him a warning or a ticket, but reported him for the courts to deal with. The perp was then caught again for doing over the ton.

I thought anyone caught over the ton was sent to court and a ban's almost always the penalty.
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> >>The end of program notes reveal the perp our Angus let off
>>
>> I understood Angus didn't give him a warning or a ticket, but reported him for
>> the courts to deal with.

No, there appeared to be no caution, and therefore no reporting to court, merely an afternote by the narrator that tickets are not issued for stuff over a ton. Looks to me like he let him off.

Looking at it again, there was a time where the perp couldn't understand what Angus was asking "where do you live" so he asked his colleague to ask, and while the perp was answering he spoke over him complaining about the fact he was not understood.
 Motorway Cops. - BobbyG
Zero, he didn't let him off - the program said specifically that as he was doing over 100mph Angus couldn't deal with it and it would be referred to the courts.
 Motorway Cops. - BobbyG
But another question - I saw that he had his name on his epilettes or whatever they are called - is that standard procedure now instead of a number or did his mummy just knit them for him??
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
Watch it again, was there a caution?
 Motorway Cops. - BobbyG
Don't know and can't be bothered watching it again but pretty sure he wouldn't be let off with nothing for exceeding 100mph and included in a TV program!
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
Didnt see a caution, or a reporting for further consdieration. - Ok, even more telling, there was no mention at the end of the program of the outcome of the case OR the sentence for that offence, but there was about the second off program offence.

Either way, he was an insulting ignorant pr...
 Motorway Cops. - Pat
Not often I agree with you Z but...Amen to that!

Pat
 Motorway Cops. - Armel Coussine
>> Didnt see a caution, or a reporting for further consdieration.

It's telly - journalism at its most potentially manipulative - and they don't usually tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The whole point it to create a reaction, get the punters going ooh, ah, scandalous! etc., even if nothing very unusual is happening. Leaving out one salient fact can skew responses most remarkably as any wicked old hack kno...
 Motorway Cops. - SmileyNially
Narrator (Jamie Theakston) says - "Tonight Angus isn't dishing out a speeding ticket. Because this driver was doing over a 100 miles an hour, his fate can only be decided in court".

Looks like the caution didn't make the final edit but they chose snippets of Angus trying to be funny instead. He needs to try harder.....

Motorway Cops. - Dutchie
What do you expect of Angus? He is a motorway cop not a actor.Like or dislike him he is doing a job.
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> What do you expect of Angus? He is a motorway cop not a actor.Like or
>> dislike him he is doing a job.

Badly - he needs to go back to being a cop and not Angus.
 Motorway Cops. - R.P.
I watched it - I'd have thought the driver would have had his collar felt and put before the beak. I can't see the point in talking in jargonized English to someone who appeared not to have a grip of the language.

That stolen Jag crashing was something else though.
 Motorway Cops. - Almac
Why did the police not stop the driver of the jag when he was parked, given that a pursuit is usually avoided if possible.
 Motorway Cops. - sherlock47
Not as much fun tho :)
Motorway Cops does its best to ape World's Scariest Police Chases fronted by that awful white haired wimp who thinks every speeding driver is a 'renegade' and can't begin to see the difference between skilled and clumsy driving.

Programmes like this are always annoying. If they start to get interesting some prat turns everything to nonsense. Anything else would send us the wrong signals, and we can't have that.
 Motorway Cops. - Ted

HaHa.....you don't like him either, AC ? Sheriff John Bunning, retd. I think. Irritates the baps off me..everything on the road is a crisis. Everything that happens ' Nearly killed someone ' !

Should be sat on the porch in his rocking chair sipping a root beer and attending to his bizarre, coiffured hair !

Ted
 Motorway Cops. - zookeeper
those speeding cop shows are so old now they blank out the year/ date on the video screen... harry hill do the same too on his show
 Motorway Cops. - Shiny
Close, Sheriff John Burnell.
 Motorway Cops. - Old Navy
In ten years time I suppose there will be a "Motorway Cop Angus Nairn" series. At least there is always the off switch.
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> Close, Sheriff John Burnell.

Closer still, but he is in fact John Edwin Bunnell, former Sheriff of Multnomah County, Oregon, always telling us that a lumbering Ford Crown Victoria is a "powerful powleece cruiser " when in fact its nowt but a New York Taxi with a gun rack, and wont exceed 125mph taking an age to get there.
 Motorway Cops. - MD
>> Angus is a real credit to his profession.
>>
Like the Richards that tried (and ultimately failed) to stitch me up. Life long Police supporter.....no more.
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> Like the Richards that tried (and ultimately failed) to stitch me up. Life long Police
>> supporter.....no more.
>>

Drugs, male prostitution, international terrorism?...Do tell more.
Last edited by: Westpig on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 11:30
 Motorway Cops. - MD
>> >> Like the Richards that tried (and ultimately failed) to stitch me up. Life long
>> Police
>> >> supporter.....no more.
>> >>
>>
>> Drugs, male prostitution, international terrorism?...Do tell more.
>>
Your memory is short Sir.
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> Your memory is short Sir.
>>
Martin who?
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> The end of program notes reveal the perp our Angus let off, was caught 3
>> weeks later doing over 100mph.

If a foreign national is caught for traffic matters in this country and has no British driving licence...then a ticket cannot be issued...(I know this case had guidelines that it was too fast for a ticket anyway).

If that person has no verifiable address for a summons to be served or you believe that address to be incorrect, then they cannot be summonsed either.

The only course of action left is to arrest them.

If arrest means the only police car posted in that vicinity, is then off the road for 6 hours plus, you'd think long and hard before you did that and weigh the proportionality of the offence committed, contrite or otherwise behaviour of the driver, likely need of your presence still out on patrol, any danger caused, etc, etc.

Others have said the driver was prosecuted, so I presume a a summonsable address was obtained.

Angus Nairn is a tit.
 Motorway Cops. - Dutchie
Angus Nairn a tit funny.>:) Some people with a uniform change their behaviour.

I used to be skipper on a pilot launch no big deal.We had a bloke working with us insisted on wearing a uniform and cap.He thought the launch was the Queen Mary.
 Motorway Cops. - Fullchat
Legend in his own lunchtime.

Could be dealt with by the roadside deposit scheme. Whereby to all intents and purposes they pay the fine up front.
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> Could be dealt with by the roadside deposit scheme. Whereby to all intents and purposes
>> they pay the fine up front.
>>

Blimey..what's that?......am I past it already?
 Motorway Cops. - Old Navy
>> >> Could be dealt with by the roadside deposit scheme. Whereby to all intents and
>> purposes
>> >> they pay the fine up front.
>> >>
>>
>> Blimey..what's that?......am I past it already?
>>

Believe me, it does not take long. Just relax and let the youngsters sort it out. :-)
I'm pretty sure it was in before you escaped WP:

www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/

Scroll down to - Graduated Fixed Penalties, Deposits and Immobilisation.

Administered by authorised Officers, normally Roads Policing. Deposits match the FPT fine. Those dealt with can pay by Credit/Debit card or cash paid into a Paypoint. Foreign Drivers have a ghost DVLA record created so they can accrue points and be disqualified. No payment = vehicle seized until payment made. Simples!
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> I'm pretty sure it was in before you escaped WP:

I'll admit to missing that one.

Trouble is the Met doesn't bother with a lot of traffic stuff, the frenetic workload doesn't allow for it (more's the pity).
They need 'Angus' :)
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> They need 'Angus' :)
>>
Shall I put in a good word?...I've still got contacts.
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
They'd need cataracts to take him on.
>> They'd need cataracts to take him on.

And a bucketful of Babelfish.
 Motorway Cops. - SteelSpark
>> If arrest means the only police car posted in that vicinity, is then off the
>> road for 6 hours plus

What sort of total incompetence can explain the car being off the road for 6 hours?

That's not a dig at the officers themselves, but something is very badly wrong indeed with the system if a single arrest takes a car of the road for 6 hours.

Only in the public sector...
 Motorway Cops. - R.P.
You reckon that G4S would do a better job ???! If they did turn up at all, you'd be lucky if they spoke ENglish and weren't an illegal !
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 15:06
>> You reckon that G4S would do a better job ???! If they did turn up
>> at all, you'd be lucky if they spoke ENglish and weren't an illegal !

Very droll RP.

But seriously, I'd like to understand how 6 hours can be justified. Is there genuinely a reason why it should take 6 hours, or is that just the result of public sector complacency?

Given that G4S are the biggest security firm in the world and turn a profit, I'd think that they are probably a leaner organisation than any of our public services.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 15:22
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
Given that I worked with G4S during the games, I can safely say they are a shower.
>> Given that I worked with G4S during the games, I can safely say they are
>> a shower.

Oh, come on Zero.

They are an organisation of over 650,000 people, are you seriously suggesting that you have deep insight into the organisation, rather than a passing exposure to a few individuals?

Anyway, I'm still hoping to get an explanation for this 6 hours off the road (hopefully more than "sheesh, you civilians just don't understand the realities of police work").
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 15:37
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> >> Given that I worked with G4S during the games, I can safely say they
>> are
>> >> a shower.
>>
>> Oh, come on Zero.
>>
>> They are an organisation of over 650,000 people, are you seriously suggesting that you have
>> deep insight into the organisation, rather than a passing exposure to a few individuals?

The passing exposure of the few individuals is the public face of the organisation. If you cant get your product right, what kind of organisation are you?

Badly trained, unreliable, rude, scruffy gits.

Now, do tell, whats your involvement and experience with G4S?

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 15:49
>> The passing exposure of the few individuals is the public face of the organisation. If
>> you cant get your product right, what kind of organisation are you?

A pretty successful one actually, certainly a profitable one, and the biggest security firm in the world.

As you well know, in any organisation that size it will be possibly to could across poor individuals.

>> Badly trained, unreliable, rude, scruffy gits.

All of them, eh? All 650 thousand, the CEO too, I suppose you had dinner with him.

>> Now, do tell, whats your involvement and experience with G4S?

About as much as yours, i.e. practically zero.

I suppose you'd claim to have the inside line on Microsoft, because you once had a meeting with one of their re-sellers, or McDonald's because you flipped burgers there for a couple of weeks back in 1970.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 15:58
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> >> Now, do tell, whats your involvement and experience with G4S?
>>
>> About as much as yours, i.e. practically zero.

Ah right, considerably more than you then.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 16:05
>> >> About as much as yours, i.e. practically zero.
>>
>> Ah right, considerably more than you then.

Maybe so, but still practically zero.

You've met a handful of people and want to claim that you know anything significant about the company.
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> >> The passing exposure of the few individuals is the public face of the organisation.
>> If
>> >> you cant get your product right, what kind of organisation are you?
>>
>> A pretty successful one actually, c

"G4S's profits collapsed by a third after the security contractor was forced to pay out £88m over its failure to supply enough guards for the London 2012 Olympics.

The company, which admitted its handling of the Olympics was a "humiliating shambles", said its overall annual profits slid from £257m in 2011 to £175m in 2012."

Do I need to tell you what that profit margin on turnover is?
>> >> A pretty successful one actually, c
>>
>> "G4S's profits collapsed by a third after the security contractor was forced to pay out
>> £88m over its failure to supply enough guards for the London 2012 Olympics.
>>
>> The company, which admitted its handling of the Olympics was a "humiliating shambles", said its
>> overall annual profits slid from £257m in 2011 to £175m in 2012."
>>
>> Do I need to tell you what that profit margin on turnover is?

The Olympics was a well publicised shambles, but is that your ammunition against G4S?

It's obvious that the Olympics were the sole cause of that dip in profits, and a one time cost.

Their profit margin for 2012 was 2.3%, and 3.6% the year before (estimated to be over 5% this year), with revenue growing rapidly.

Who do you suggest using as a comparison? (you do realise that if you want to question a firm's results, you need to find somebody to compare them to)
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 16:22
 Motorway Cops. - Zero
>> I suppose you'd claim to have the inside line on Microsoft, because you once had
>> a meeting with one of their re-sellers, or McDonald's because you flipped burgers there for
>> a couple of weeks back in 1970.

Oh and do try and avoid smart ass insults like that, you are really crap at it and it makes you look stupid.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 16:05
>> >> I suppose you'd claim to have the inside line on Microsoft, because you once
>> had
>> >> a meeting with one of their re-sellers, or McDonald's because you flipped burgers there
>> for
>> >> a couple of weeks back in 1970.
>>
>> Oh and do try and avoid smart ass insults like that, you are really crap
>> at it and it makes you look stupid.

It wasn't meant to be an insult, I'm just drawing comparisons with your suggestion that you somehow have an inside line on the realities of G4S, when you have had nothing but very minimal interactions with a few people.
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> Given that I worked with G4S during the games, I can safely say they are
>> a shower.

When I retired from the Police...I had a bit of time to myself...then thought about getting a job.

A mate of mine, a Detective in my local force, put me on to a mate of his who had just retired from the local police and was employed by a large govt agency as an investigator. He'd been employed direct by that agency.

I spoke with him at length...spoke to his line manager...and formed the opinion that I would be suited to that role, that it matched my skill set, the pay was right, the whole set up seemed ideal and they thought I'd be good for them, too....but...

....by then the Govt agency had outsourced their recruitment to G4S.

What a totally useless shower of sh$t they are.

I tried for many, many months to get it right...I wanted the job after all...can you imagine the incompetence of a company that has an ambiguous online system for registering your skills...and NO METHOD OF CONTACTING THEM to iron out that ambiguity???? Their website specifically said DO NOT RING THE GENERAL NUMBER and E-MAILS ARE NOT ACCEPTED. Well how the hell are you supposed to thoroughly and properly record your full skill set, to ensure a potential employer has the full picture?

I'm a pedantic bar steward when I want to be..so rang the number I wasn't supposed to and was told 'Sorry about that, you are not the only one with that problem, it's how the system is'???? Eventually I got hold of someone..by inappropriately e-mailing them contrary to their careers site advice (but complying with the advice from the phone number i'd inappropriately rung) ...and got someone helpful...who also apologised for the sh$te system.

There was more, much more.....and I gave up. I wanted the job, I knew there were vacancies coming up, I discussed with what would have been my line manager what I would have been doing. I had my contact and potential future line manager both say 'stick with it, we know it's bad'. I apologised directly to both of them, separately.. and advised I couldn't possibly work for their agency if it involved G4S...I just couldn't face it..... and believe me it wasn't a decision I took lightly.
Last edited by: Westpig on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 19:31
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
I forgot to include the saga re my online CV.

I followed the instructions to the letter. Being somewhat challenged with IT stuff, when I thought i'd completed it..I logged out, then logged back in, to see if it was still there..yep, it was.

Then being Mr Pedantic...and having inappropriately previously managed to get hold of a contact in the careers section..e-mailed her and asked if my efforts had succeeded...i.e. I'd completed what I needed to...she confirmed I had (and was very helpful).

Just before I gave up on them several months later, I checked online...and my whole CV and personal details had disappeared off the system.

Fast forward 6 months....and I got a random e-mail from them about working in a control room for the Olympics...that was when I was diagnosed with Tourettes.
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
>> But seriously, I'd like to understand how 6 hours can be justified. Is there genuinely
>> a reason why it should take 6 hours, or is that just the result of
>> public sector complacency?

It cannot be justified, but that is what it has become.

30 years ago the Police prosecuted people. If you had a simple straightforward job, the individual officer dealt with all aspects of it, so did whatever paper work the court would need, went to the Magistrates Court and stood there and prosecuted him/herself.

A complicated job, you'd do a written report to the Police solicitors branch and they'd prosecute....(so Fraud = Police solicitors, simple Shoplifting = individual officer deals).

You'd have the CID (and contrary to popular belief that doesn't stand for Cops In Disguise, as someone once asked me..and i'm convinced they were genuine)...they would investigate more in depth crime stuff and prosecute themselves more than the average street cop would..and fall back on the solicitors for the really complicated stuff.

Then someone had the bright idea of creating a civilian department, called the Criminal Justice Unit (CJU)...so that expensive cops wouldn't be doing paperwork..and would be freed up to actually do what they should be doing i.e. police the streets/work in a CID office... but...they allowed that system to evolve...and have their own civilian management..who soon thought they were more important than the average cop (who they were employed to support) and the tail started to wag the dog....

....so...all the paperwork the cop used to have to do for him/herself....was replicated for the CJU demands...so you still did the same amount of time off the streets, only this time reacting to the demands of the CJU...

...then someone had the bright idea of introducing the Crown Prosecution Service....ditto what I've just said about the CJU...now you have bureaucracy for your CJU and the CPS.

Then bung in some costs savings, so your Custody Suite at every large police station has now been reduced to one large Custody Suite for each policing area, miles and miles away from most officers... they regularly get full and they have lost the ethos of using junior staff to take over from experienced (so a well trained Traffic/Firearms/CID officer could in the old days hand over the basics to a less trained junior officer...but when it became impersonal, everyone became 'bunker mentality' and look after your own only).....then there's the increased demands from the CJU and CPS..then increased demands from the Home Office/Govt... e.g. Stop/Search forms.... and it now takes hours and hours and hours...and the paperwork is unbelievable...

.....but don't worry..that's progress.

Which is why I have so much understanding (from a distance) of the problems of the NHS. Same principle ...for 'civilians' read 'managers'....and we wonder why it goes to ratshit
Would it have been the same if you were a former nightclub bouncer with a criminal record one wonders?

A level playing field would have made it even more difficult for them. After all their bureaucratic skills haven't been honed during all those 6-hour delays scribbling on endless forms before getting back to, you know, squealing tyres, gunshots, screams of 'YOU'RE NICKED CULLY', all that...

:o}
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 19:37
 Motorway Cops. - midlifecrisis
G4S? God forbid Cameron ever manages to completely fulfil his dream and hand over Policing to them.

During the Olympics G4S were contracted to supply 180 staff at the stadium in my area. EIGHT turned up. Of those, few had a basic understanding of English. Two were arrested within 24hrs for stealing and fighting. A couple of others only lasted 24 hours and simply didn't turn up again. Police Officers, already suffering from a complete ban on annual leave, then had what few rest days they did have cancelled to fill the gaps.

Despite being public sector parasites, those Officers worked 24hrs, 7 days a week. 'Profit' was never a factor.

Quite frankly, those of us still in the job are past caring. We've tried to warn about what is happening to the Police service courtesy of 'Call me Dave'. In 1995, he wrote the Sheehy report, recommending turning Police Officers into glorified security guards. He was rebuffed. That has never been forgotten and he's certainly getting his revenge now. It's up to the public to protest. If you're happy to have a privatised Police service, then so be it.

And for the person complaining that 'only in the public sector' can processing an arrest take 6 hours. Next time you're questioning your Tory MP, ask them how the reduction in 'back office' staff has impacted the Police's ability to function. I'm sure he'll tell you crime is down and everything is hunky dory. They are of course lying.
 Motorway Cops. - Westpig
Do I really need to say anything?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22057246
There would seem to be some suggestion that she's related to the Police and local Crime Commissioner - allegedly, of course.
Latest Forum Posts