Motoring Discussion > road sign query? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 10

road sign query? - Auntie Lockbrakes
driving around the mountains here in Majorca I am coming across a lot of blue squares with a number in white letters. What is this? i initially thought it was minimum speed, but the road is quite twisty and dangerous, so i doubt it!

Does it mean maximum recommended speed, i.e. not compulsory? I have no recollection of seeing these square roadsigns in any other EU country in the past...

Cheers,
 road sign query? - CGNorwich
Advisory speed limit. You see them in Germany too. I believe they are a standard European sign but not all countries use advisory speed limits.

road sign query? - R.P.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_European_road_signs

Did some Googling for you and found this - Minimum speed limits in Spain seen to be white on blue but round.

BTW I just realised why I love this crazy country - All the countries have a near identical warning sign for unguarded railway crossings - all the other ones (apart from Germany which is entirely different) have their pictogram trains running right to left - ours runs left to right....!
 road sign query? - Runfer D'Hills
We often have to cross one of the two level crossings in our town. If my son is in the car when we're waiting I sometimes bet him double or quits on his pocket money as to which direction ( left or right ) the train will come from.

Little beggar gets it right more than I do. Must get a timetable.
You are right in that a white on blue in a circle is a minimum limit. I believe this is actually in our highway code.

White on blue in a square is definitely an advisory sign. See the links showing an autobahn advisory speed limit of 130

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Zeichen_393.svg/170px-Zeichen_393.svg.png

road sign query? - WillDeBeest
You are right in that a white on blue in a circle is a minimum limit. I believe this is actually in our highway code.

It is. I think the only place I've ever seen one is at the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel.
 road sign query? - bathtub tom
I remember asking this very question a few years ago.

road sign query? - henry k
>> I remember asking this very question a few years ago.
>>
IIRC quite a few years ago, there was a question " What does the blue sign mean?
as part of the old driving test. The question was scrapped on the basis that there was only one such sign on roads in the UK.

>> It is. I think the only place I've ever seen one is at the entrance
>> to the Blackwall Tunnel.

And Dartford tunnel - 10mph minimum
 road sign query? - crocks
If they are square I think they are unlikely to be speed limits.
My best guess is route numbers.
Do you have a map to check them against?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advisory_speed_limit
Latest Forum Posts