Motoring Discussion > Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 102

Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Alanovich
As the title says. I'm interested in finding out whether the current model Renault Megane (actually, a 2010 model to be precise) with a 1.5dci 110PS engine is chain or belt cam?

HJ's reviews say the Laguna 1.5dci is a chain cam - is it the same in the current Megane? In fact, is HJ right regarding the Laguna?
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Duncan
Is it one of these?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/chain-cam/
Well the Laguna 1.5dci is not on that list, but in his review of that model he states that it is a chain cam engine.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/laguna-iii-2007/?section=good

So which is right?
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 19:20
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Zero
I though all Renault 1.5dcI engines (of all power outputs) (also used in Nissans) were belt cam.
Me too. But HJ says different regarding the Laguna. Hence the question. I'm guessing he's just got it wrong on that one, but I'd like to know for certain. Maybe I'll call a Renault dealer in the morning.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to replace the Galaxy shortly with a Megane III or Laguna III Tourer. Most tempted with the 2.0 dci Laguna due to the chain cam on that one. But the 1.5dci is tempting for it's economy, particularly in the Megane. If there's a chain cam 1.5, I think that would clinch it for the 1.5.
>> Me too. But HJ says different regarding the Laguna. Hence the question. I'm guessing he's
>> just got it wrong on that one, but I'd like to know for certain. Maybe
>> I'll call a Renault dealer in the morning.
>>
>> I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to replace the Galaxy shortly
>> with a Megane III or Laguna III Tourer.

Excelent!
Err..........does that mean you want me to get one because they're crap and you fancy a giggle when the clutch and DMF blow up?

;-)

The other model I'm considering still is the Mondeo 1.8 TDCi Econetic 125, and perhaps the Focus with the same engine (110PS though).

I hope I'm right in saying that the Renault 2.0dci doesn't have a devil's DPF?
>> Err..........does that mean you want me to get one because they're crap and you fancy
>> a giggle when the clutch and DMF blow up?

You will either end up with a good one, that you will love because they do (did) make attractive comfortable cars, or you will end up with one that will ruin your life.

Me? I loved my laguna, it was everything I could ever want from a car with a fantastic power plant (the 1.9) but then I did write it off at 47k miles just as the gearbox was starting a suspicious whine......,
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 19:54

>> You will either end up with a good one, that you will love because they
>> do (did) make attractive comfortable cars, or you will end up with one that will
>> ruin your life.
>>
>> Me? I loved my laguna, it was everything I could ever want from a car,
>> but then I did write it off at 47k miles just as the gearbox was
>> starting a suspicious whine......,
>>

Ah, well, yes, I'll be going for a mark 3, and they're pretty solid aren't they? Ahem. *Reaches for brave pills.*

Yours was a mark 2 iirc.

>> Ah, well, yes, I'll be going for a mark 3, and they're pretty solid aren't
>> they? Ahem. *Reaches for brave pills.*

Ah yes, the Mk3, Tell me, just how many are ther on the road? funny how yours is suprisingly cheap? and just when did they stop selling it? and why?

>> Yours was a mark 2 iirc.

It was. The good looking one.
Well, blame the Mk2. It gave the Laguna such a bad name, that no-one in the UK wanted the Mk3. Except in mainland Europe, where it's much more popular because people are less hung up on perceptions and image.

It's a bit of a gamble, but so are all second hand cars, nad I reckon it's a bit of a hidden bargain. Megane III is pretty good too.
The meganne 3 is an attractive wagon, I like its looks.

But as I say, you wil certainly offer us plenty of amusement.
>> Well, blame the Mk2. It gave the Laguna such a bad name, that no-one in
>> the UK wanted the Mk3.

Being an ugly cow pat didn't help either
Eye of the beholder and all that. I like its looks.
>> Ah yes, the Mk3, Tell me, just how many are ther on the road? funny
>> how yours is suprisingly cheap? and just when did they stop selling it? and why?
>>
>>
>> >> Yours was a mark 2 iirc.
>>
>> It was. The good looking one.
>>

Was that the one that went under a bus?

I bet it wasn't so good looking after that incident!

>> Was that the one that went under a bus?

It was

>> I bet it wasn't so good looking after that incident!

It wasnt.
>>
>> >> Was that the one that went under a bus?
>>
>> It was
>>
>> >> I bet it wasn't so good looking after that incident!
>>
>> It wasnt.
>>

Zero, I congratulate you!

You took that very well!
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Robin O'Reliant
Maybe I'll call a Renault dealer in the morning.
>>
>>
They probably won't know either.

>> They probably won't know either.
>>

Yes, I was worried about that too. Maybe a call to Renault UK HQ, but the same probably applies.............might actually call a dealer in France. Just need to find out the French for cambelt and chain cam........
>>
>> >> They probably won't know either.
>> >>
>>
>> Yes, I was worried about that too. Maybe a call to Renault UK HQ, but
>> the same probably applies.............might actually call a dealer in France. Just need to find out
>> the French for cambelt and chain cam........

And there is the rub, Renault dealers and Renault UK are the biggest shower of .... are around..
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Armel Coussine
Isn't that the 2 litre turbo Renault Sport model that HJ liked so much, that I've always fancied a bit and that the Aussie F1 driver tested for Top Gear and quite liked, saying it turned in well while complaining that the nose was 'too wide'?

Do they still make that model? What is all this mimsing 1600cc carp?
Sadly, I'm talking about the 2.0 diesel, AC. I have no soul.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Runfer D'Hills
I feel ill. Alanovic...just don't...please...

Tic tic tic tic....

NURSE !!!
Tee hee.

I've had a Renault before. A Renault 9 1.2TC. It was triffic. I don't fear French cars, I've had a 2CV, a GSA, a 309 as well. I've had 2 Alfa 33s for heaven's sake and many (excellent) FIATs. How bad can a Mk3 Laguna or Megane be? You've all gone soft.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 21:18
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Dog
>> You've all gone soft<<

Not me vić, I've had me eyes on: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302045185765/
Blutigen Holle! Even I balk/baulk at a CVT.

You truly are a hairy chested, Brian Blessed-bearded, squared jawed man amongst men, Gospodin Sobaka.

(I had no idea Renault offered a CVT. Learn something novy kazhdi dan, and all that.)

ETA - apologies for the mixing of the Teutonic and the Slavic there.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 29 Mar 13 at 22:25
Renault CVT?

Ye gods............. You are barking.
Sorry, kazhdi DYEN, of course. Dan being the Serbo-Croat word. Got to stop waffling now, my Jack Russell is trying to drink my Lagavulin.

Doctor Herrity would have me shot for that mistake.
My ex-wife, who couldn't drive, briefly had a gold metallic Daf rubber band CVT, but labelled a Volvo and with a small Renault 4 cylinder engine.

It was an odd device, but made a charming whistling noise on the overrun. Some fool crashed it alas.
Volvo 66.

Sweet.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - R.P.
My dad had one when I was learning to drive - I was allowed to punt it now and again. I actually grew to love it. Quicker than a Rover 2200 off the line. Beautifully put together by the Dutch...
>> Beautifully put together by the Dutch...
>>

Much like the 2 Volvo 360s and the 480 I've owned. All three much lamented. None of them CVT, though.
>>Blutigen Holle! Even I balk/baulk at a CVT.

Yeah, well - I've only had my eyes on it, my hands are a bit further down and near my pockets, where my money is ;)

Trouble is though, there are less and less jamjars available with a "normal" auto gearbox these days,
even the Qq I had my eyes on the other day was a CVT.

Been looking at cabriolets too, but most of em seem to have issues with their seals so that probably isn't one of my best ideas being I live in Cornwall where it rains every day ... and twice on Sundays.
Whoah, hang on. That petrol CVT Megane in Dog's link.

Urban mpg 47.1. Extra urban 28.8. Isn't that the wrong way round?
>> Whoah, hang on. That petrol CVT Megane in Dog's link.
>>
>> Urban mpg 47.1. Extra urban 28.8. Isn't that the wrong way round?

It broke down during the test.
Would anyone be concerned that this Laguna........

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201241487714897/

.........has had three owners in its 5 year life? I mean other than the fact it's a Laguna in the first place.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - No FM2R
I wouldn't be, its almost 25,000 miles & two years per owner, so that seems ok.

I'd only worry if the last two changes were very close together.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Avant
Its Hampshire registration may mean that its first owner was Renault themselves - perhaps in the hands of one of their executives for six months. If it was a press car, then not so good!
>> Its Hampshire registration may mean that its first owner was Renault themselves - perhaps in
>> the hands of one of their executives for six months. If it was a press
>> car, then not so good!

Why would a Renault owned car be registered in Hampshire, when the Head Office is in Rickmansworth?
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - PeterS

>> Why would a Renault owned car be registered in Hampshire, when the Head Office is
>> in Rickmansworth?
>>

Renault UK registers its own cars at its import centre in Southampton in the same way that BMW UK registers its cars in Thorne (Yx plates) despite beng based in Bracknell, AFAIK
BMW register them in Yorkshire somewhere, you'll see a load of them with the prefix YH.
Usually only the most economical models though I suppose?
>> Usually only the most economical models though I suppose?
>>

I think that's VW with the E Up! Electric vehicle ;-)
Yeah, no cup holders but it does apparently have an optional ferret clamp where the radio should be...

:-)
The Welsh one has a leek in the radiator.
Thorne's just outside Doncaster - BMW cars usually have plates in the YA to YK range I think.
Certainly true Humph - my 45mpg X1 was from there originally but my 35mpg 325 is from around here on a CX plate
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - ....
Is the C for Caaaaaardifff similar to S being somewhere in Scotland ;-)
>> Would anyone be concerned that this Laguna........
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201241487714897/
>>
>> .........has had three owners in its 5 year life? I mean other than the fact
>> it's a Laguna in the first place.
>>

Excellent! A goona with 71k up, AND an AUTO!!!! Fantastic.
S'got sum funny tyres on it, no service histry mentioned butt, at least the price has bin rejuiced.
Yes, lots of question marks over that one. Maybe this is a better bet:

www.crossstreetcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/renault-laguna-2-0-dci-150-dynamique-5dr-swindon-201313507706097
>> Maybe this is a better bet:

Wurth a look I'd say vić, mileage seems low for a diesel, doesn't say how many owners, what's it been towing?

At the end of the day, it's a 5 year old jamjar, like mine is.

I'd pay the extra for the 2 years warranty (after having read the small print)
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - ....
Can't speak for the rest of the car but was amazed at how well a Megane CC belonging to a friend of my wife was running after 5 years and zippo service history.

The last time it saw a dealership was PDI and the only workshop it has been in was for MOTs at 3, 4 & 5 years. In other words totally abused and still mechanically well considering.

I only had to drop 2 litres of oil in to get it back to max from nothing on the dip stick.

This is a 1.9 turbo diesel mark2 Megane. The interior looks as well looked after as the mechanical history and yet it still works, recently tackling a run from London to Cologne.

I can't understand why UK insurance is so cheap in comparison with the rest of Europe when you see some of the sheds on the road which are supposed to meet stringent checks every 12 months after three years.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Avant
"Why would a Renault owned car be registered in Hampshire, when the Head Office is in Rickmansworth?"

Rickmansworth has many fine features, but it's not noted for its coastline. Renault cars featuring in road tests have Hants registrations, presumably because they're brought in through Southampton.

But I think other makers' UK companies register their cars from where their HQ is.
I never thought I'd ever, ever type these words - have you thought of a Ford Mondeo ?
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - corax
>> I never thought I'd ever, ever type these words - have you thought of a
>> Ford Mondeo ?

Already been discussed RP. Zero wants him to buy one - a nice high mileage diesel.
Thank you Rob, especially on such an auspicious day in the Christian calendar, for sharing that moment of personal epiphany.

Quite moving actually.

He needs to be egg'd on. Coming to the same but separate conclusion as Zero ! What next ?
>> I never thought I'd ever, ever type these words - have you thought of a
>> Ford Mondeo ?

Yep, short list includes Mondeo and Focus. Laguna is good value and chain cam, though. Going to look at one properly tomorrow.
Some friends called in their `'work-horse" Mondeo estate - latest shape. Big car - this one was shod with a full set of big winters...
Funny how "cheap for a reason" becomes "good value"

Still as someone said, buying one is like playing russian roulette - with 6 full chambers.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - DP
You are barking.
OK, so, Z and DP, and any other bashers, where is the evidence of the Mark 3 Laguna being spectacularly unreliable?

Because I can't find any. Plenty of horror stories about pre-05 Mark 2s. But nothing regarding the Mark 3.

OK, so it might need a clutch and DMF in its lifetime. But that's hardly uncommon in other diesel cars.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Kevin
There are some very nice X-Type diesel estates around at the moment. Good prices too.
Good call Kevin. If I were going back to a non-company car I'd definitely be looking at an X type estate. Cracking value now. A bit tweedy maybe but you'd have to decide you didn't give a ( .... ) about that.

Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Kevin
>A bit tweedy maybe..

Humph, he's looking at Lagunas. I have a gut feeling that image isn't part of the equation here.

True enough !
Too much badge on a Jag. Don't want the attention.

More legroom for children in the back of a Laguna/Mondeo too. That's a more important consideration than badge for me.
One of the reasons I'd plumb for the Ford is because of the Blue Badge - end of really !
BTW, in answer to the original question in this thread, HJ has corrected his erroneous listing of the Laguna 1.5dci as chain cam. It's a belt like all the other 1.5s.
Don't worry about the badge. Buy the car which suits you not the badge. No one actually cares what anyone else drives. The manufacturers don't want us to know this of course...

Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - DP
A Renault customer service representative told me that Renault consider 3 years or 60, 000 miles an acceptable life for a vehicle.... Sorry, but I have an inherent distrust of them from that, without the dreadful experience that was my old Scenic II from 3-4 years old.
There's a bloke round here driving a T-suffix FIAT Strada as a daily. Another fairly local old geezer in a Maestro every day. Some would think that's some kind of witchcraft.
>> Don't worry about the badge.

I'm not sure I do too much, although I am a bit anti-prestige badge. But there is a Mrs A.
>> BTW, in answer to the original question in this thread, HJ has corrected his erroneous
>> listing of the Laguna 1.5dci as chain cam. It's a belt like all the other
>> 1.5s.

Zero was right.

>> Zero was right.
>>

Have a hot cross bun.
Right. That's it then. You can all start laughing at will.

I put a deposit down on this one last night:

www.crossstreetcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/renault-laguna-2-0-dci-150-dynamique-5dr-swindon-201313507706097

Really good experience at the dealer. I requested a test drive, and they handed me the keys and said "take your time, we're open until 9". That was at about 5.30pm. So I took my time, got it out on to a local dual carriageway and up to speed. All good.

Car drives beautifully, feels really sold and everything works. Barely a mark on it, inside and out. Onboard computer showing next service in 12000 miles.

Lovely bit of kit, hugely underrated cars. Until it goes wrong, of course. ;-)

Feels much more solid and well made than the mk2s I've come across. Nothing rattles, nothing vibrates. Rides like you'd expect a big French car to do, handles very nicely too. Good, supportive seats and a great driving position. Proper handbrake, no cambelt to change, the only thing I fear a little is, of course, the clutch and DMF. But hey ho. Every car will cost something in maintenance. All 4 tyres are new, matching Pirellis.

Can't wait to pick it up.

Apologies to Zero that I didn't go for a high mileage auto. ;-)
>
>> Apologies to Zero that I didn't go for a high mileage auto. ;-)

Even a Renault Auto was a step too far for you - admit it.
I just couldn't find one locally enough. If I had and it had driven well, I'd have had one. But I've gone manual mainly for the MPGs, to be frank.

>> I'd have had one. But I've gone manual mainly for the MPGs, to be frank.

Oh it'll be fine on that score AV. My Espace was very economical on fuel. Didn't use much at all while it was on the back of a recovery vehicle !

However, I genuinely wish you well with it. They are very nice cars.

Wafty. I like wafty
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - corax
>> But I've gone manual mainly for the MPGs, to be frank.

It should be better on that score. I really want it to be reliable, because it'll make them a great value bargain when they're older. Nothing of note regarding problems on HJ at the moment.

>> Nothing of note regarding problems
>> on HJ at the moment.

Nope. I can't even find a single thread about them on Renault Forums. I don't know if that's because there aren't many of them in the first place, or if they are actually pretty trouble free. Time will tell in my case.
>> >> Nothing of note regarding problems
>> >> on HJ at the moment.
>>
>> Nope. I can't even find a single thread about them on Renault Forums. I don't
>> know if that's because there aren't many of them in the first place, or if
>> they are actually pretty trouble free. Time will tell in my case.

they sold precious few.
Actually you know, and I really can't believe I'm typing this but, inspired by your bravery I watched the HJ video test of the "new" Laguna and read the report. You know, it does seem like they might have made some major improvements.

You may well have just bagged a real bargain. Good looking car which apparently drives very well and is supremely practical.

Hope it goes well for you !
Thanks, HdB.

As you may remember from the SAAB 9-5 thread which went on for ages, I've been weighing up my options for a long time. Came to the conclusion that the evidence was there that the Mk3 Laguna is actually an excellent, underpriced car second hand. Once I'd driven one I was convinced. I don't really have any doubts about it, other than the normal "it's a second hand car" stuff.
>> Thanks, HdB.
>>
>> As you may remember from the SAAB 9-5 thread which went on for ages, I've
>> been weighing up my options for a long time. Came to the conclusion that the
>> evidence was there that the Mk3 Laguna is actually an excellent, underpriced car second hand.

No the evidence is not there, there is insufficient numbers sold to come to that conclusion. Its cheap for what it is, yes, but thats the only fact.
OK, Z. I get your point . Thanks for your comments.

Plenty sold on the continent, and I can read car forums and reviews in French, German and Russian.
You could have gorn for this one vić:

www.crossstreetcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/bmw-3-series-325-ci-sport-2dr-swindon-201310504679014
If I were 10-20 years younger, no nippers, dog, mortgage, all that jazz......
You could always think about getting a trailer with it ;)
How dare you. I wouldn't dream of putting my wife in a trailer.
You haven't been married that long then I take it.

:-D
It'll be 15 years in July.

Insert usual comments about murder/prison here.

;-)

Wonder if the Laguna will last 15 years?
My friend big Terry (now dead Terry) always went for Lagunas, I used to tell him how awful French cars were,
but he wouldn't hear of it, he spent a long time out in Oman & Libya as an engineer (oil) and was impressed by Renaults (I don't know what type)

He lived down a long unmade road that was SO BAD I wouldn't dream of taking my car down there,
but he used to trundle up & down it 7 days a week in his Laguna.

When he drove me anywhere he was a pedal-to-the-metal merchant, he'd never heard of engine oil changes,
but the Laguna used to take on the chin.

:)
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - Fenlander
Good luck with the Laguna Alanovic. As long as you believe you won't be let down... but fingers crossed behind your back when you walk out to it just in case.

I think I said a while back if one had dropped into my lap before I found the Alfa I'd have given it serious thought due to their great value.

Thought you were getting a company car though.....
>> Thought you were getting a company car though.....
>>

That was only a possible, if my place of work had been moved. It's no longer a possible, my job's staying put.
S/H cars always carry an element of risk but so do new ones. If you get a lemon you just have to change it for another that will be more like the cherry on the cake.

Zero likes to sound pessimistic but he also likes Renaults I seem to remember. So do I. They are comfortable, usually brisk cruisers and frugal on fuel. You should be OK Alanovic, and I'm sure you won't be tempted to abuse yours like Perro's disgraceful Hobbit buddy.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 3 Apr 13 at 15:45
Indeed not, AC. I shall be home servicing it every 10k miles/year. No cambelt to farm out to the local indie, poor soul will be quite downcast I imagine. :-)

He'll still get the brake fluid and fuel filter business though, when due alongside an MOT. Can't be doing with those bits. If there was a local DIY garage/rentaramp type place I might have a go, but I don't want to do it at home as a beginner. There's a good one in Acton apparently, but that's a bit far. Perhaps this is an idea I could run with as I've often wondered about setting up my own business.........

Going to collect it this afternoon. Just called my insurer to change details, and the chap on the phone was very keen to congratulate me for purchasing a dark blue car - "very nice colour, sir". Can anyone else smell the 5kg of phoney in that? I do wish they wouldn't bother with such nonsense. Were it a person I had a long term personal business relationship with (a local broker for instance), I'd rather like it, but a faceless call centre worker at a massive corporation? Do me a favour. Blasted suck ups.
 Renault Megane III Sport Tourer - Chain or belt cam? - BobbyG
Was going to suggest this...

tinyurl.com/cz5sms6 but it would appear to be late

IIRC the mere mention of Subaru gets a few members salivating here...... quite fancy this one myself - as a kind of all round commute / dog carrier / fun sort of way!!
Well, it's with me now. Goodby bouncy, crashy Galaxy - hello refined, smooth, quiet Laguna. Delighted with it. Trip computer stated 57mpg on the run back from Swindon to Reading on the A/B roads via Faringdon, Wantage and Goring. So that's 20mpg up on the Galaxy's computer for the outward journey. Nice. I always thought the Galaxy's economy was actually excellent for what it was - old tech diesel, TC auto, big old brick of a car (van). But the extra is going to be welcome. As is the extra power - moving up from 115 to 150PS.

A weekend in the Cotswolds beckons starting tonight, birthday treat for Mrs A. We shall be travelling in style.

Oh, ETA - I am now a numberplate brother with Rattle. It's a BJ, like the Panda. Hee hee.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 5 Apr 13 at 10:43
>>We shall be travelling in style

Indeed.

You do have AA/RAC cover I trust?

It's day 5 in the Renault Laguna house, and it hasn't broken down yet. Trip to Chipping Campden and back successfully negotiated. 53mpg average (computer) - 175 miles done and not yet used a quarter of a tank. This is revolutionary stuff for me. Supremely comfortable and quiet. Bit of poke for the odd overtake on the very quiet A roads we used. Marvellous.

Downside - Mrs A now jealous and wants to replace her 2002 Golf TDi auto. We may be on the look out for a Megane diesel auto or a Citroen C4.....

>> Downside - Mrs A now jealous and wants to replace...

Here's some ideas AV -

www.automechanicschools.net/blog/slowest-cars-in-the-2012
Latest Forum Posts