Motoring Discussion > Councils may "Disown" roads Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 11

Councils may "Disown" roads - Meldrew
Today's ST reports that some councils are considering reclassifying country roads as "Byways" so that they will no longer be responsible for repairing them. Roads most likely to be downgraded are "U" or unclassified roads typically providing access to remote homes or farms.
 Councils may "Disown" roads - Westpig
>> Today's ST reports that some councils are considering reclassifying country roads as "Byways" so that
>> they will no longer be responsible for repairing them. Roads most likely to be downgraded
>> are "U" or unclassified roads typically providing access to remote homes or farms.
>>

I think I've already found one.

I drove down a country lane yesterday, that had a pothole bigger than my van (I kid you not).

The side nearest the nearside hedge was about 3 feet deep, rising up to about 3 inches deep in the crown of the road. I only just got past, as I was worried about puncturing my nearside tyres on the jagged edges of tarmac, as I sneaked through with my offside touching the offside hedge.

I couldn't straddle the jagged edges as the bit i'd need to drive in was too deep.

I'm tempted to go back with my camera (if anyone on here can advise me of a SIMPLE way of posting a photo, I'll try it).
 Councils may "Disown" roads - R.P.
E-mail it to me I'll post it for you
 Councils may "Disown" roads - Dog
>>I'm tempted to go back with my camera (if anyone on here can advise me of a SIMPLE way of posting a photo, I'll try it

Go for it Piggy, and we'll show y'all how to upload it to an image hosting site.
 Councils may "Disown" roads - Cliff Pope
If they "unadopt" a road doesn't that mean it becomes the responsibility of the residents again?
The can't unadopt residential roads, I am guessing. The ones they are looking at are minor "B" and unclass roads from A to B in open country
 Councils may "Disown" roads - Old Navy
>> If they "unadopt" a road doesn't that mean it becomes the responsibility of the residents
>> again?
>>

And if it does, will that make the residents or owner liable if damage is caused to vehicles due to disrepair ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 31 Mar 13 at 17:58
They can't charge anybody, if it is a country road with no residents.
One more reason why my next car will be a 4X4.
I can't find it now, but I read earlier today that the roads involved are ones accessing remote dwellings and farms. not "A to B" roads.
 Councils may "Disown" roads - CGNorwich
The story is from the Sunday Times.

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1238417.ece

Doesn't seem unreasonable in our straightened economic situation. I think we as a country have got to get used the idea that cuts in public spending will affect us all.
 Councils may "Disown" roads - Bill Payer
>> as I sneaked through with my offside touching the offside hedge.
>>
We live in a rural area and I encourage family members to avoid going off the edges of the road as picking up thorns in tyre sidewalls is a bit of a recurring nightmare.

If the road is a public one, then it would be worth reporting it.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 10:50
Latest Forum Posts