Motoring Discussion > SORN Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 5

SORN - Cliff Pope
I have just been sent a SORN reminder for one of my vehicles.
I thought there had been a recent change making SORN indefinite?
 SORN - Auristocrat
I thought that a SORN declaration expires after one year, and that people are sent reminders when their car tax or SORN declaration is due for renewal.
 SORN - Slidingpillar
The change to SORN was in the budget. My understanding is it was put in the finance bill along with all the other bits. Presumably this means the finance bill has to be debated and voted on by parliament - has this happened yet? And even if it has, an effective date has to be set too.

You may think it's a simple thing and could be done straight away, but my understanding is anything with politics, DVLC etc can be relied upon to take ages!
 SORN - crocks
The Finance Bill 2013 was published on 28th March.
The 2nd reading is due on 15 April, the first day back after the Easter break.

Should be ready for next year's SORNs !!

My SORN reminder arrived this morning - reminded me I hadn't re-taxed my other car at the end of March.
 SORN - Cliff Pope
>>
>> You may think it's a simple thing and could be done straight away, but my
>> understanding is anything with politics, DVLC etc can be relied upon to take ages!
>>

Ah, right. Automatic reminder to Chancellor : you said you were going to abolish SORN reminders.

Good job he didn't announce anything important in the budget, nothing that required urgent action.
 SORN - jc2
Haven't you people noticed;if it's in the government's favour,it happens immediately-in your favour,a delay of years!
Latest Forum Posts