Motoring Discussion > Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 24

Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - VxFan

Japan's top four carmakers are recalling a total of 3.4 million cars over a defect in passenger airbags.

Toyota, which is recalling 1.73 million cars, said the vehicles had a defective part which "could cause the airbag inflator to rupture and deploy the airbag abnormally in a crash".

Honda Motors is recalling 1.13 million cars, while 480,000 of Nissan's and 45,000 Mazda cars are affected.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22104702
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - L'escargot
I bet kamikaze pilots would have scorned the use of airbags.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Crankcase
Just to flesh out the Toyota bit in the UK:

Toyota has announced it will recall 76,000 older models produced from November 2000 to March 2004. It is working with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) to contact registered owners and keepers by letter to advise them of the procedure for taking their vehicle to an authorised Toyota repairer for the necessary checks to be done.

The issue potentially affects the following models: Toyota Corolla, Yaris, Avensis, Avensis Verso, Picnic, Camry and Lexus SC430. These vehicles will have ‘X’ to ‘54’ registration plate identifiers.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - madf
Sounds like our 53 Yaris - Japan built - may be included.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Robin O'Reliant
>> I bet kamikaze pilots would have scorned the use of airbags.
>>

Oh I dunno, they wore crash helmets.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Alanovich
Glad I bought a Renault.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Zero
>> Glad I bought a Renault.

The only thing that worked on mine was the airbags.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Londoner
I saw the subject line "Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags" and thought of a current thread which could be renamed "UK Parliament recalls 650 MPs - Windbags".
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - henry k
>> >> Glad I bought a Renault.
>>
>> The only thing that worked on mine was the airbags.
>>
:-)
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - madf
Renault need no recalls on cars built between 2000 and 2004 - they are all in scrapyards by now :-)
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - MD
(Master)ful vehicle.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Victorbox
As passenger airbags seem to often tear through fabric of dashboard to deploy I assume a lot of these units will involve quite a bit of dashboard dismantling to replace?
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Londoner
>> As passenger airbags seem to often tear through fabric of dashboard to deploy I assume
>> a lot of these units will involve quite a bit of dashboard dismantling to replace?
>>
If they ever get replaced! I wonder what percentage of accidents in which the airbags get deployed result in the writing-off of the vehicle?
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Old Navy
I think most passenger airbags are easily accessed after removing the glove box.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - blackbird
"I wonder what percentage of accidents in which the airbags get deployed result in the writing-off of the vehicle?"

That's an interesting question, I suspect most.
These recalls are on cars that are over 10 years old? I though airbags were not guaranteed to work after 10 years?
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Runfer D'Hills
The official test?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dclnUVlPkhg
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Bromptonaut
>> These recalls are on cars that are over 10 years old? I though airbags were
>> not guaranteed to work after 10 years?

There was something about that in the news coverage. Story was along lines that when European style airbags (those intended to augment belts etc) came in the precautionary principle led to them being 'lifed' at ten years. Subsequent experience has shown even the earliest models still function beyond point at which most cars have died structurally or mechanically.

This may be an age related problem as it's related to plastic in the pyrotechnic cartridge.

Good call to replace I think. Given the small number of incidents it would have been easy to try and keep quiet.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Crankcase
Quote:

The front passenger air bags all were made by the same parts supplier, Japan's Takata Corp. They have faulty inflator mechanisms that don't route gas into the air bags. Instead, the high-pressure gas can launch plastic and metal parts from the air bags into the cars' passenger areas. Takata says no one has been hurt, but there have been six incidents of the air bags deploying improperly on roadways.

The air bag problem happened because of two human errors during production. A worker forgot to turn on the switch for a system weeding out defective products, and parts were improperly stored, which exposed them to humidity, according to Honda spokeswoman Akemi Ando.

Endquote
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - zookeeper
ive never had one deploy....he said smugly
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Clk Sec
>> ....he said smugly

With a broken nose and a fat lip...
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - zookeeper
i even came away unscathed after being t boned by a left hand drive halfwit lorry driver
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Dave
I haven't got a drivers airbag, let alone a passenger one.
I've got a back seat Windbag.
 Japan carmakers to recall 3.4m cars - airbags - Armel Coussine
I'm the chief windbag chez nous. Herself maintains a generally peaceful (but occasionally menacing) silence in the front seat.
Latest Forum Posts