Motoring Discussion > M4 TO M40 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 17

M4 TO M40 - MD
Despite living there 25 years ago I need a memory jog please. going up to Ruislip/Harrow soon and will be using the M4, but I need to whip across to the M40 preferably before the M25 option. Is there a better option and if not which junction of the M4/M25 do I leave at to access the M40. This is likely to be between 08.00 - 09.00.

Thanks,

Martin.
 M4 TO M40 - No FM2R
The M25 option is the logical one, but the traffic can be horrible.

Going up at Newbry (A34) is oen approach, but its long, the traffic is annoying both on the A34 and at Oxford.

Going up at the Maidenhead junction is possible, but its longer and it too can queue up, although maybe the new junction at the M40 helps.

Personally I'd drive up to the M25 (M4 J4) and clockwise around to M40 (M25 J16) and just suffer the traffic.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Apr 13 at 11:39
 M4 TO M40 - henry k
>>Going up at the Maidenhead junction is possible, but its longer
>> and it too can queue up, although maybe the new junction at the M40 helps.
>>
Not found it a problem execept in the middle of rush hour.
The slip road to the M40 west has made quite a bit of improvement to traffic flow.
 M4 TO M40 - bathtub tom
I use Swindon to Bicester (M4 J15 - A419 - A420 - M40 J9), but I'm not usually in a hurry. I get annoyed with 'elephant racing' on the A34 and the M25's too liable for hold-ups.
 M4 TO M40 - MD
I'm not in any hurry BT. I am heading 'up' to a Funeral and it's a debate whether I go on the morning or a day before. TBH I want to be up and back in one day and plan to max out at 60 mph (in the van) and chill. Time is not a problem. Congestion and aggravation is. Remember my timings. Need to arrive in Harrow by 10.10.

Many thanks...
 M4 TO M40 - -
If its just you Martin why not train it?

I think the obvious suggestions have already been made, if you do decide to drive and plump for M4/M25 and find a horrendous queue in the inside lane for the M25 after Colnbrook turn, you could instead carry on along M4 to jct 3 and slip up the A312 and work your way up to Ruislip/Harrow that way.
 M4 TO M40 - WillDeBeest
In the words of Dan Baird and the Yayhoos, Fear Not the Obvious. I used to do M40-M4 every morning. Tried most of the suggested alternatives at one time or another (except the Bicester one, which is just bizarre!) and ended up using the M25 every time.

After 0900 the morning traffic should have eased too, so keep the A404 option in your back pocket in case you hear of problems on the M4 or M25. GB's route is a useful ladt resort. Otherwise, keep it simple and you'll be fine.
 M4 TO M40 - Bromptonaut
If you're coming from west country to Harrow/Ruislip why be 'wed' to the M40?

I'd stay on the M4 to Junction 3 then take the A312, which now passes east of Hayes/Harlington and is pretty fast at least to the A40 (Target?) at Greenford.

Whichever route you take doing it in a day and a 10:00 arrival at Harrow is going to engage the rush hour.

Actually, I'd aim to be in Harrow by 07:30 and then look for brekky etc to fill time.
 M4 TO M40 - -
>> Actually, I'd aim to be in Harrow by 07:30 and then look for brekky etc
>> to fill time.

Thats good sense Brompton, quite sure there's enough room in Mart's van to get his head down for a couple of hours too.
 M4 TO M40 - Londoner
>> Actually, I'd aim to be in Harrow by 07:30 and then look for brekky etc
>> to fill time.
Still a well dodgy time to be driving around West London though!

I've been doing the North London-to-Berkshire commute for a good number of years now, and had to get earlier and earlier to avoid the congestion. (Alarm now set for 5:15!) And it always looks worse coming in to London than going out of it (as I am).

Handycross (A404/M40) is always busy from around 7.30. M25 starts to get the speed limits appearing on the overhead gantries at any time after about 6.00 a.m.
 M4 TO M40 - Zero

>> Handycross (A404/M40) is always busy from around 7.30. M25 starts to get the speed limits
>> appearing on the overhead gantries at any time after about 6.00 a.m.

I do M25 j10 to J21 clockwise several times a month in morning rush hour. Its usually still moving up to 7:30 by which time i have passed through. (unless of course something cocks up)
 M4 TO M40 - FocalPoint
"I do M25 j10 to J21 clockwise several times a month..."

Uncomfortably close to my manor, Z! (J21) I presume you then whizz up the M1. I shall be keeping an eye open.
 M4 TO M40 - WillDeBeest
Yes, Londers, but that's not the same as grinding to a halt. You can't expect a clear run anywhere near London except in the middle of the night (I finished work at 0300 one night recently and I had no idea the M4 could be so empty) but the way to make progress is to stay on one road as much as possible and to avoid major junctions. My commute takes on J8/9 to J4, and the longest delay is the queue in the A404(M) to join the M4.

When I was still doing the M40 route, the M25 in the evening was always slow, but it's only one junction; J16 is ten miles from work but it seldom took more than 20 minutes to get there. It seems like slow going when you're in it but it doesn't add hugely to the journey time, and there's no roundabout to queue at to get on to the M40.

In contrast, at that time of day either the A34 from M4 J13 to M40 J9, or the A404 to J4 will give you a long queue up to a roundabout - and the Handy Cross one at Wycombe is a horror if you're turning right. Barring mishap on the obvious route, I can't imagine either would save any time.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 13 Apr 13 at 22:58
 M4 TO M40 - Armel Coussine
M25 has always served me well. It gets crowded sometimes but the only real stop-start holdups are at major intersections at the worst times. Otherwise it keeps moving at anything from 25 to a rousing 90...

Everyone has their favourite crosscountry or urban back-doubles. Any one of them can screw you up if you hit it wrong, some golf club event or worse. In fact neither the M4 nor the M40 is guaranteed to see you all right especially at those ungodly hours of the morning. It's in the lap of the ungods.
 M4 TO M40 - Londoner
>> Yes, Londers, but that's not the same as grinding to a halt. You can't expect a clear run anywhere near London except in the middle of the night...
You are completely right.
I am far too impatient in any sort of traffic, though. It means that I have to do my calming down exercises, and they take effort.
 M4 TO M40 - bathtub tom
>> I use Swindon to Bicester (M4 J15 - A419 - A420 - M40 J9), but
>> I'm not usually in a hurry. I get annoyed with 'elephant racing' on the A34
>> and the M25's too liable for hold-ups.

Ignore the above, it'll take you far too far North!
 M4 TO M40 - MD
Thanks to all. Guess it'll be the 25 as the link then.
even if I arrive in 'arrow early I think I may still cop the rush hour. Will leave here 04.30 and poodle up. Can't be teararsing along any more (he says)! Will report after the 'fire'.

Cheers...............M
 M4 TO M40 - MD
OOPS! Didn't make it. Worked late last night and didn't feel like the trip this morning. Completely 'Bushed' and didn't fancy dozing off on the motorway. Ah! well, shame, but there it is. Thanks anyway.
Latest Forum Posts