Motoring Discussion > Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Baz Replies: 44

Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Baz
Folks
Advice sought:
Going to change an 06 Corolla which was a stop-gap car for an estate to accomodate dog, French hols etc.: Budget up to 7 or 9K, possibly a touch more, age up to about 5 or 6 years but as new as possible sought. Homed in on:
1 Octavia 1.9 Tdi 105 bhp estates, few around with up to 50K or 60Kon clock, full history dealer cars, seeking out 1.9 as internet forums suggest it's a more reliable motor than the 2.0 PD - and there's no DPF stuff on it either. Downside is the cambelt change interval/cost at 40K/4years and usual diesel gubbins to potentially go wrong.
2 Avensis 1.8 vvti Tourer old shape. Cheaper than Octavia, good all rounder, chain cam, can't find many serious problems ( oil consumption sorted I think by this period, gearbox niggles,?), but considered very dull and possibly underpowered/sluggish, crappy headlights and uninspiring ( I'm not a racer but like driving a well set-up car)

Any ownership experiences, in particularly, a very important point is clutch pedal feel, has the Avensis a heavy, awkward clutch like the Corolla?Also mpg, what can I expect from the Avensis?
Should I consider Megane/Laguna Sport Tourer, Berlingo, - like French cars but scared off by problems reported.

Also, Mondeo estate too big. Focus estate too noisy, Astra estate ok but potentially unreliable. KIa Ceed ok but tied in with dealerships and possibly pricey parts. I like to DIY whenever possible.

Your accumulated knowledge most anticipated

Cheers All
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - -
You could get a new shape Avensis tourer around £9.5k, if you don't mind an electric (automatic) handbrake then well worth investigating.

Auto if you want one is very good, manual clutch felt fine to me.
Thanks, GB, it's the dreaded auto handbrake, puts me and missus right off, otherwise I'd probably go for one.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Avant
You might be able to find a 1.8 petrol Octavia estate, although they're not nearly as common as the diesels. The 2013 Octavia isn't available with this engine which is a pity: presumably they haven't sold well enough.

As well as the Avensis, consider a Mazda 6 petrol (don't go near the diesel). Honda Accord Tourer probably too big as it's Mondeo-sized.
Fair enough Baz, the leccy handbrake is why one of our cars isn't one either, hopefully they'll revert to sensible normal handbrake when next Avensis arrives, looks possible as latest Auris still sports a real handbrake.

Have you considered a C class MB?, your budget probably won't stretch to a 2008 on latest shape, but here's a nice one of the last of the previous model, well post 05 so galvanized bodywork (obviously you'd check build date if you were considering one).

tinyurl.com/bn2zlpr

Its auto but Benz's have to be auto, the boxes are simply the best and foot operated hand released (instant) parking brake doesn't lend itself to manual, and its a devils own job to sell a manual MB on.

Other consideration a BMW 3 series touring?
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Dog
>>Should I consider Megane/Laguna Sport Tourer, Berlingo, - like French cars but scared off by problems reported<<

Have a read of the thread started by comrade Alanović:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=13910

You could pick up a nice 3 year young 2.0 DCi for £7-8k
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Alanovich
>> >>Should I consider Megane/Laguna Sport Tourer, Berlingo, - like French cars but scared off by
>> problems reported<<
>>
>> Have a read of the thread started by comrade Alanović:
>>
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=13910
>>
>> You could pick up a nice 3 year young 2.0 DCi for £7-8k

Indeed. I love my Laguna. To address one of Baz's concerns directly, the clutch is very light in mine. Really nice action. I simply can't fault the car.

Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - corax
>> 2 Avensis 1.8 vvti Tourer old shape. Cheaper than Octavia, good all rounder, chain cam,
>> can't find many serious problems ( oil consumption sorted I think by this period, gearbox
>> niggles,?), but considered very dull and possibly underpowered/sluggish, crappy headlights and uninspiring ( I'm not
>> a racer but like driving a well set-up car)

I've just sold my '07 hatchback version.

Oil consumption problems were solved by 2003. Gearbox operates with switch like precision. Clutch felt fine on mine.

It depends what you mean by dull. If you like a relaxing car, it's very good. Refined and quiet. A very good ride on post 2006 models (mine had 16" alloys), with plenty of grip, but it's not a car that you enjoy throwing around. I think that the ride may be stiffer at the back on the estate version.

The engine is OK but nothing special. Not much torque, so you'll find yourself revving a bit to pull away, especially with a heavier estate. And I found it noisy and unrefined around 3000rpm which equates to around 70mph.

Mpg is superb though for a big car. The worse you can expect is 30mpg but most of the time it will be high 30's to low 40's on open roads.

Extremely reliable. The sort of car you can buy and 'forget' about until next years service.
Last edited by: corax on Sat 11 May 13 at 14:14
>>Extremely reliable. The sort of car you can buy and 'forget' about until next years service.

Mitsubishi make a similar car ISTR, the model name escapes me at the moment, but I believe it begins with L.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - WillDeBeest
I'd be looking for a V70 - but you probably knew that anyway. Smaller than a Mondeo - inside too, and not as great a load carrier as some will tell you - but there's nothing I'd rather do a French road trip in, including our superficially more prestigious German LEC.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - ....
You know for this budget WDB it's going to have a Ford/PSA four pot in it or be a rather leggy proper five pot.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 11 May 13 at 22:20
I do apologise it looks like some people are offering for this money a 1.6 PSA motor with 114k on the clock !!!

tinyurl.com/cjte9cx
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 11 May 13 at 22:32
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Zero
Here you go, your perfect car, its less than three years old, less than 25k on the clock, and you get 3 grand change to spend.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305076628557
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 May 13 at 22:33
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Westpig
>> Here you go, your perfect car, its less than three years old, less than 25k
>> on the clock, and you get 3 grand change to spend.
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305076628557
>>

With a 'K' vehicle tax band.
you can buy a lot of road tax with your 3 grand change.
25 mpg according to T'internet YIKES!
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - WillDeBeest
So badge snobbery might not be the only reason we're not all driving them?
and why they are so cheap.
That is an unusual auto example with 210g/km but if you only do a few thousand a year does an extra tank or two of fuel worth of VED make that much difference ?

Looking again at the link I posted above, that car is about 3.5 years old at 114k that's less than 60 miles each way for work per day on average. Not mega mileage but it made me realise how I clocked up nearly 50k a year in a FIAT Coupe.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 11 May 13 at 23:52
>>Here you go, your perfect car ...
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305076628557

Jesus! - it looks like a Lancer Estate.

^_^
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Gromit
If the OP wants decent space and a good driving setup, Auto Trader shows you'd get a 2008 Subaru Legacy diesel estate with 90-100k miles for £7500.

A bit smaller, what about a Hyundai i30/Kia Ceed. Or an ex-demo i40 instead of the Avensis? All less fun than the Subaru, but with long warranty. Or as a mid-sized estate, wouldn't the Focus or Alfa 159 still be the benchmarks for good handling?
I wouldnt spend £7500 for a car with 100k up. Even with a Subaru you are into "expense starts here" territory.
Agreed, although it's a nice car - but I don't need 4WD. I've seen a 58 Octavia 1.9 tdi with 51K on it for £7995 with full history and MOT etc, I'm thinking this should be good for 5 or 6 years and another 60 K before needing too much other than routine.
Will keep looking!
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - ToMoCo
>>Or an ex-demo i40 instead of the Avensis?

An i40? For 8 grand? Maybe in 12-18 months time
We have had very good reports from an esteemed forum user about these well regarded 5 door estate cars:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305076627584/
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - ToMoCo
6k! Nearly fell off my chair laughing
What little "respect" from my kids I cling on to would be gone the moment i rolled up in that!!
Tell 'em second class ride better than first class walk.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Boxsterboy
I think I would prefer the walking!
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Runfer D'Hills
Alanovic got himself a lot of Laguna for what was, I want to think anyway, a lot less than your budget.

Seems the newer ones are pretty good, but if it did break down in France anyway then at least the Frogladites ought to know what to do about it !
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Westpig
>>but if it did break down in France

What do you mean IF?
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - BobbyG
Baz, what about an MPV type estate - an Altea is from the VAG group, £7k would get you something like this

tinyurl.com/btc8ja6

Alternatively if you need a bigger boot, search for an Altea XL

Importantly, for the dog (in my opinion), the Altea has a retractable "parcel shelf" rather than a fixed one that you need to remove when the dog is in car.
Will take a look at Altea, had not thought of that as Missus doesn't really like the true MPV style, prefers traditional estate, as it's luggace space rather than people space needed. However, Altea is a bit of a mongrel isn't it, so needs checking out.
The Altea boot is pretty small. The XL is cavernous. Both are noisy. Both ride and handle well and are supremely comfortable, did an Italian tour in mine (an XL)
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 13 May 13 at 07:29
And the seats can be slid forward to give more luggage space if required.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - TeeCee
>> doesn't really like the true MPV style, prefers traditional estate, as it's luggace
>> space rather than people space needed
>>

Which is a bit daft, as a "real" 7 seat MPV offers vastly more luggage space in five seat mode than a conventional estate of the same size ever will.
Take, as an example, the Vauxhall / Opel Zafira. This is basically a gigantic Astra estate that you can stack washing machines in the load space of. It also happens to have two additional seats squirreled away under the floor, but those can be ignored if surplus to requirements.
That's right, "Gigantic" is exactly the point, hence too big and unwieldy for tight hospital car parks. I take your point though, but traditional estate car is preferred, as day to day that's all that's needed.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Bromptonaut
Usual suggestion from me; Partner or Berlingo.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Gromit
Fiat Doblo also looks promising as a small-footprint MPV, though I think its a bit longer than the new-shape Berlingo. Get one in a bright colour (I'd go for tangerine or lime green, if Fiat still do them) and it might be quirky enough to counter Mrs Baz's dislike of MPVs.

The Berlingos we've looked at in the Gromit household while on holidays in France stuck us as unusually practical - not much longer than a Golf/Focus sized car, but with very useful loadspace.

A diesel Berlingo or Doblo are front runners to replace our Panda when it goes to the great scrapyard in the sky, with a view to it becoming the main family car instead of the Legacy. The Legacy is a joy to drive, but with an appetite for €500 in petrol a month, I could see it being relegated to Sundays and high days.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Bromptonaut
>> Fiat Doblo also looks promising as a small-footprint MPV, though I think its a bit
>> longer than the new-shape Berlingo.

I thought the current Berlingo and Doblo (and Partner) were the same vehicle. The Fiat my use their engines rather than the PSA units though.

The Multipla is/was bigger including three front seats.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - VxFan
>> Usual suggestion from me; Berlingo.

If the Berlingo car is anything like the van version, then I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. The fleet of vehicles at work has recently been changed from Transit Connect vans to Berlingo Vans.

Uncomfortable doesn't even come close.
 Used largish estate suggestions for £7 or 8K max? - Boxsterboy
>> That's right, "Gigantic" is exactly the point, hence too big and unwieldy for tight hospital
>> car parks.
>>

Baz, I think you're missing TeeCee's point which is that MPVs (such as the Zafira) often have the same footprint as the car they are developed from (in this case Astra Estate) and so are no bigger or more unwieldy than their conventional cousins when it comes to car parks. They just have the added ability of extra seats OR bigger boot (though not at the same time).
They also make you look like a complete Doris (says an ex-Galaxy owner).
>> Alanovic got himself a lot of Laguna for what was, I want to think anyway,
>> a lot less than your budget.

£5.8k, 44k miles, 58 reg, FSH. 2.0dCI 150PS Sport Tourer. Yep, well below budget here.

Latest Forum Posts