Motoring Discussion > Switzerland autoroute vignette Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 17

Switzerland autoroute vignette - IJWS14
Going across into Switzerland tomorrow and beed to pick up a vignett but don't have any Francs.

Web-sites say you can buy them from customs but will they take Euros?

So far done 6 border crossings (not that you notice in Europe these days) and five countries since Sunday.

Will check back later if anyone has any info.
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - Zero
yes they will, but prepare for a big queue.
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - diddy1234
Alternately drive until you get pulled by the police.

That's what happened to me and my dad with a British registered car on the autobahn.

The fine (which conveniently also included a new vignette) was only 10 Euro more expensive than waiting and buying at one of their points.

I am not sure if you can still buy them at a border crossing.
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - PR
You can use Euros but don't expect a favourable exchange rate! I have never experienced big queues. If you enter on a motorway you don't get a choice, they look at your windscreen and direct you to vignette lane. If you enter on a non motorway you can park and go and buy one.

FWIW I think its good value, its less for example, than a return through the Mont Blanc tunnel, and includes the Gottard if you are going that way
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - Zero
>> You can use Euros but don't expect a favourable exchange rate! I have never experienced
>> big queues.

On a friday? expect big queues
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - R.P.
You can buy them second hand on motorcycling forums !
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - Armel Coussine
Oh do stop faffing.

Get rambo to come with you and just shoot your way in. Seemples.
SWMBO is with me so Rambo would not be popular with her,

Longer run tomorrow so will take the chance on the queue ragther than try to look elsewhere.

Switzerland autoroute vignette - FocalPoint
Buy at the border - cost CHF 40.00 (approx. £27) - pay by credit card.

Also available at filling stations before the border; they probably take credit cards as well.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 16 May 13 at 19:22
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - ....
You don't say which side you're attacking from.
You can buy them in the services on the A5 in Germany as you get closer to Switzerland.
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - Runfer D'Hills
No need for concern, just wave your passport at them...

'Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.'

They need reminding sometimes those foreign chappies.

:-)
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - Armel Coussine
>> Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State

... who sounds very like the late comedy actor Deryck Guyler (but seems fairly semsible nevertheless)...
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - Runfer D'Hills
I once, with a suitable grin, pointed out that clause in my passport to a mirror sunglassed member of the Italian Autostrada police near Florence who had decided that my hired Alfa 75 3.0 was traversing his patch with a little too much aplomb. He was graceful enough to grin back and indicate that he wouldn't let or hinder me for too long if I were to make a suitable contribution to the station Chianti fund.
Indeed available at the border and paid on credit card (but had to get out of the car and walk to the office to do so). The motorised credit card machines are impressive, not seen them anywhere else.

Started in the outskirts of Mulhouse and didn't pass an aire this morning.

TomTom routing from Mulhouse (Ile Napoleon) to Rhine falls involved five border crossings, three into Switzerland and two into Germany. At the second entry to Switzerland we were stopped by the German border police and asked if we had anything to declare (no) and if we were carrying more than 10k euros in cash (no) and if my watch (2 year old Tissot) was Swiss and how long I had owned it and where I purchased it. Swiss at the same border crossing asked us where we were going. None of this "are you carrying anything for anyone else...". At the other crossings not even stopped.

Wife realised later that there were 2 bottles of champagne in the car and was worried in case they chased us . . . . going back over tomorrow (Pontarlier to Verchaix via Lausanne and east of Lac Leman) and there are now five bottles.

Rhine falls well worth seeing but it was raining a little.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Fri 17 May 13 at 17:04
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - diddy1234
Lovely part of south Germany there.

I have stayed a few times in various paces around Bodensee.

The Rhinefalz is impressive. did you go to the central island ?
SWMBO has a tendon problem and is having difficulty walking at the moment, it was raining and she didn't fancy taking the boat . . .

It is so big it is difficult to comprehend the scale, something the steps in the central island help with.until you see the seps up the central island.
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - ....
tolltickets.com will send you a vignette in advance for future reference.

We've just booked our summer holiday in Italy and will drive down through Switzerland, 33€ for the vignette and 2,10€ for postage.
 Switzerland autoroute vignette - PR
Handy advice there gmac. Just ordered a Swiss vignette and a 10 day Austrian vignette for my impending trip to southern Italy via Munich and Berchesgarten.

To add to complications in Austria not only do you need a vignette but there are also other tolls to pay on certain (strategically placed) sections of motorway
Latest Forum Posts