Motoring Discussion > The joys of home servicing. Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 60

The joys of home servicing. - Zero
Decided to give the Lander its long overdue service today. All really easy it was but the work of moments to change the filters and oil as it always is.

Decided this time tho, to try and overcome a slight annoyance from a slow gearbox. So I sourced some thinner quite expensive fully synth gear oil.

Having looked at the box, its has the filler plug up high in an awkward place, hard to fill, so I purchased a Draper "Oil suction tool" basically a giant steel syringe with a plastic tube - Holds 500ml of oil! That will do the biz.

Having to drain 2.2 litres wouldn't be a hardship so I cut out the side of a plastic 5 litre can and would drain into there.

annoyance no 1, don't you just hate the fact the 'box takes 2.2 litres? Only comes in 1 litre bottles, so you have to buy three with 0.8 litres left that will probably never get used! Grrrr

The drain plug was on the side of the box, WOW have you seen how far 2.2 litres of thick gear oil can squirt? missed the drain can by a country mile, diverted everywhere by the sub frame. Luckily its now dripping on the plastic sheet I cleverly laid down.

Now I dip my sucker into my fantastic new oil, and suck. Useless ruddy thing can only suck up about 20ml and then leaks air through the other end. Damn this is taking for ever, sucking up 20ml of oil and then pumping out 15ml into the box.

Suddenly it works! Yeeha 500ml sucks into this thing, stick me tube in the box and pump.

Did you know it has a small hole in the handle end? to allow air to pass? do you know how far 200 ml of oil thats leaked past the seal can travel? As i suck up the next batch of new oil, it shoots out like a high pressure fountain straight into my eyes.

Anyway, after an hour I get the box filled, the fill and drain plugs torqued up. Gather up my tools, and take them back to the garage. On my way back to the car I glimpse the plastic sheet with 2 litres of gearbox oil in its folds raise up on the breeze and sail in the air, ending up flapping against the house windows.......

The joys of home servicing. - Fullchat
And you know Z that those days always start as they mean to go on.
Clearly the 0.8Ltr 'spare' oil just about got the job finished since you were throwing it all over the place. :)
 The joys of home servicing. - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like you deserve a stiff glass of something Z. The window cleaner is going to love you though ! Or do you DIY that too?

Should have thought your behaviour today would have given the local Surrey neighbourhood watch apoplexy.

"Look Hyacinth, that dreadful man across the road with his funny old Japanese car is letting oil out of it now all over his drive, what's more he's wearing gym shoes, Lord knows what it's doing to property values in the Avenue. Don't look Hyancinth ! He's swearing, I can read his lips from here ! We had a man like that in the regiment y'know... National Service conscript of course... We just accepted that we had to rub along with all sorts then but it's simply unacceptable behaviour here. My God he's wiping motor oil on his house now ! Hyancinth !!!!"
 The joys of home servicing. - Dog
If only everything in life was as easy to work on as a Lancer!

I've been meaning to change the engine oil on my Forester for the past 2 weeks but the oil filter is in an awkward place so I've been trying to get hold of a cup-like oil filter wrench but the one I ordered was too small, the replacement came today but I couldn't undo the drain plug with my 3/8 drive sockets, I do have an 1/2 drive expendable heavy bar, but no 17mm socket :)

Then there's the auto transmission fluid I was going to replace - d'you think I get the special Subaru ATF anywhere in Cornwall, can I fok.

And PLEASE don't ask about replacing the front parking light bulbs (nice cars though, really)

:-(
 The joys of home servicing. - Number_Cruncher
Running the risk of starting a holy war, I would suggest that an oil sucker, like a Pela, is the best way to remove fluids from a car - not just engine oil.

Particularly for automoatic transmission fluid changes, where you can empty the sump from above, then, when you drop the sump itself to fit a new filter, it's already empty, and you don't get covered.

Although some manual gearboxes don't lend themselves to oil suckers via the recomended filler, sometimes the reversing lamp switch offers a good route in.
 The joys of home servicing. - R.P.
Well writ Zero - that made me laugh out loud - after a few pints of Robinson's Uncle Sam's Pale Ale I have to add....as for Humph's "what's more he's wearing gym shoes" well, we have someone like that in our street, left he's recycling bins out since Thursday, what is the place coming to ??
 The joys of home servicing. - Old Navy
>> I would suggest that an oil sucker,
>> like a Pela, is the best way to remove fluids from a car - not
>> just engine oil.
>>

An excellent device, if it is a difficult to get at liquid, an oil extractor is what you need. I have used my Pela for several different jobs.
the oil extracted a treat....

Putting it back was a whole new kettle of stuff...
Mind you it worth it. Gearbox feels much better.
 The joys of home servicing. - henry k
>> Mind you it worth it. Gearbox feels much better.
>>
Glad you survived the night and reported your results :-)
Now the question is, do I try and oil the rest of the brick paved drive to match, or clean the oil off the drive?
 The joys of home servicing. - TeeCee
>> Now the question is, do I try and oil the rest of the brick paved
>> drive to match, or clean the oil off the drive?
>>

Well, as you've already done enough there to earn the wrath of the eco-nazis, you might as well go the whole hog.
Brake fluid is excellent at cleaning oil off brick paving.
 The joys of home servicing. - bathtub tom
>> Mind you it worth it. Gearbox feels much better.

Have you ever met a person who admits spending lots of money on something was a waste?

Over to our medical experts who've probably studied psychology.......................................
 The joys of home servicing. - Lygonos
>> Have you ever met a person who admits spending lots of money on something was a waste?

I don't doubt Zed on this one: every time I've put a good gearbox oil in a car that's done at least 50k miles on the previous stuff I've noticed much slicker changes after.

Put Syntrax 75W90 in my old 300ZX in the middle of winter as the changes were baulking until warmed up and noticed far easier changes immediately.

I think the additive pack has as much effect as the viscosity too: tried some cheapo MTF in a Nissan Laurel and it felt a bit more notchy: switched to Syntrax and sweet as a nut after.

After buying 5 litres for my Forester (0.8 in rear diff, 4-ish in the gearbox/front diff) it would be nice to get a cheaper 5 litre pack rather than 5 lots of £12.

No honestly. It does. I know because at first it didn't so I was annoyed, then resigned.

But after about 10 miles or so, it does feel distinctly different.
>>But after about 10 miles or so, it does feel distinctly different.

That's a strong hint of the action of quite an advanced additive pack

The joys of home servicing. - corax
>> Have you ever met a person who admits spending lots of money on something was
>> a waste?

Yes. Oldgit in the tyre noise thread.

" I cannot fool myself. The noise is still there despite new tyres and so that was a waste of over £450".
 The joys of home servicing. - henry k
>> Running the risk of starting a holy war, I would suggest that an oil sucker,
>> like a Pela, is the best way to remove fluids from a car - not just engine oil.
>>
>> Particularly for automoatic transmission fluid changes, where you can empty the sump from above, then, when you drop the sump itself to fit a new filter, it's already empty, and
>> you don't get covered.
>>
Oh how I wish life was that simple with an X type!!!!!
The Auto box.The Jaguar quality approach.
It has a drain plug that allows of course about only a third of the ATF to drain.
Top it up again. Stir it up and repeat the process. Job done ! As per Jaguar instructions.
Cannot drop the sump so cannot change the filter.
I will get 99% of the ATF changed in one go by a "Mega Flush" operator.
It may not be cheap but it is quick and I will have no worriesi

The other box on my AWD is sealed for life but as several have found it does not like operating when it is DRY!!!
Jaguar Forum has ways to deal with this.
Thank goodness for forums.
>> Then there's the auto transmission fluid I was going to replace - d'you think I
>> get the special Subaru ATF anywhere in Cornwall, can I fok.

It's Dexron III or equivalent. Plenty of choice on Opie Oils :)
>>It's Dexron III or equivalent. Plenty of choice on Opie Oils :)

S'not for my 07 Sub, book says Sub genuine auto trans fluid,
or Idemitsu ATF HP,
or Castrol Transmax J

Opie Oils tried to flog me some blimmin Fuchs stuff :)
>> Opie Oils tried to flog me some blimmin Fuchs stuff :)

They've got Castrol Transmax but it's missing the all important J, whatever that means. Jatco? That's the make of the 'box. Should've bought a manual dog :)
BIG debate on subaruforester.org about Transmax corax, that's why I'm sticking with the genuine scoob stuff.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 1 Jun 13 at 22:20
 The joys of home servicing. - Harleyman
I do have an 1/2 drive expendable heavy bar, but no 17mm socket
>> :)

A throw-away power bar? Novel idea but hardly good for the environment. ;-)

11/16" AF in real money should do the job.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 2 Jun 13 at 12:23
Ah, you need to see my dick, Harleyman, it's quite long when fully extended, but I bet gordonbennet has a longer one.

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/8922852187/lightbox/

Expendable :0)
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 2 Jun 13 at 13:21
>> the oil filter is in an awkward place so I've been trying to get hold of a cup-like oil filter wrench...

Did mine a few weeks ago - managed without a wrench, but then I have genetically tight fists coming from Jockland.

Rear diff was easy too, but always take the filler plug out first before draining just in case you cant get the filler plug out ;-)

Manual gearbox required minor jiggery-pokery to fill as the new oil goes in through the gearbox dipstick tube and the intercooler means a standard bottle of Castrol Syntrax doesn't reach, so I used the top off another bottle of gearbox juice as a funnel and carefully poured the oil into it.

The wee magnet on manual box and rear diff drainplugs had funky little silver hedgehogs of metal dust although the oil itself looked perfectly clean coming out. May well still have been original fill for all I know though.
>>Did mine a few weeks ago - managed without a wrench, but then I have genetically tight fists coming from Jockland

My subie has always been serviced by a main dealership so every nut, drain plug, and filter is tight.

I have the cup-like oil filter wrench now so it'll be easy peasy when I get a roun tuit.

I've been reading loads and loads about autobox fluid on subaruforester.org and some dudes have replaced their fluid with Amsoil synthetic, Fuchs, Mobil, etc. etc. but from what I can gather, it's best to use the genuine Subaru ATF HP so I'll be using it on my jalopy.

>> always take the filler plug out first before draining just in case you cant get the filler plug out

hehe! .. I like that one :)

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Jun 13 at 01:10
>> always take the filler plug out first before draining just in case you cant get the filler plug out

Of course being a Forester even that doesn't stop it - see the OPs solution on page 2.

www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/rear-differential-fill-plug-stuck-help-81205/
>>see the OPs solution on page 2

Jeez, what a palaver, mines due this year and if it gave me gyp I'd use heat + the jack idea and maybe some Plusgas for a few days before.
>> >>see the OPs solution on page 2
>>
>> Jeez, what a palaver, mines due this year and if it gave me gyp I'd
>> use heat + the jack idea and maybe some Plusgas for a few days before.

Mines due next year. Tell you what dog, I'm very pleased with the fuel consumption on mine, which was about the only thing worrying me. After a couple of fill ups and calculations I'm getting around 29mpg. That includes some stop/start town work, gentle 65-70mph dual carriageway stuff and some A roads with the odd foot down moment (and even then I'm not thrashing it, it just effortlessly picks up speed). Very pleased with this.

The other revelation is how much of a natural cruiser it is. OK there is some wind and road noise but they really don't come with much sound proofing and that could easily be sorted. In fact it seems happier pounding along at motorway speeds than anything else which is ridiculous considering what it looks like. A very stable feel. But it's capable in any situation.

For some reason my revs at 70mph are around 2750 rpm which goes against the gearing that Lygonos mentioned. Maybe the tyre profile? Whatever, it feels very relaxed.

Yep, I love it :)
>>For some reason my revs at 70mph are around 2750 rpm which goes against the gearing that Lygonos mentioned. Maybe the tyre profile? Whatever, it feels very relaxed

Foz speedos lie like Alfas: 10% overread isn't unusual.

However, I guess Subaru may have had a longer-legged gearbox in the versions prior to mine as acceleration/top speeds are quite different:

2.5XT with 210PS, 236 lb-ft: 0-62 6.1sec, 140mph
2.5XT with 230PS, 236 lb-ft: 0-62 5.8sec, 134mph.

I think the 2005-on models with 230PS had Subaru's AVCS (like VTEC) system added so the torque curve was flatter for longer.

(I had the warranty-retaining Prodrive upgrade on mine - 260PS, 0-60 5.3sec, ???? mph.)

www.prodrive.com/up/06MY%20Forester%20PPP.pdf

Here's the one for Corax's Foz....

www.prodrive.com/up/03MY%20Forester%20PPP.pdf

75mph (indicated) in mine was a tiny shade under 3000rpm, but was only 69mph on my satnav.
So its noisy and its thirsty and its a DIY nightmare.

And you love it?
>>So its noisy and its thirsty and its a DIY nightmare

Changed all the fluids and filters on mine (other than brake fluid - looked clean enough) in a couple of hours.

How'd you get on with the Lansher?

(and they're not particularly noisy - some wind noise once you're blatting along but mechanically silent and tyre noise not much of an issue)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 2 Jun 13 at 22:26
>>Yep, I love it :)

Same here :))

Fuel consumption is okay IMO, one is prepared to pay more when one travels first class, doesn't one.

Most of the dudes who have had grief with their diff plugs seem to live in areas which suffer some serious weather,
so if Lygonos, who lives 'up there' managed okay, I should imagine y'all be able to manage, with the help of a jack.

The Subaru Forester is a car I can feel 'passionate' about, it's far removed from domestic appliances such as my Lancer, Almera, Focus, etc. etc.

So much so in fact, I doubt whether I'll ever want to own a 'normal' car again.

:}
so much so it'll be gone in two years......
 The joys of home servicing. - Haywain
Yes ....... safer to leave these things to the experts ;-)
>> ending up
>> flapping against the house windows.......

I was reading this thinking it would be a case of smugness all round. Instead it reminds me of when I bought a cheap sprayer with grandiose ideas of painting the fence, and ending up chucking it the bin after about an hour...
 The joys of home servicing. - Old Navy
I note with interest there is no mention of the wrath of Mrs Zero. :-)
>> I note with interest there is no mention of the wrath of Mrs Zero. :-)

Still de-greasing the dog most probably.
She thinks I am a saint. Came home to sparkling clean windows, the dark marks under them are just the water drying says I.

Took me as long to clean the windows as it did to service the car. Does masonry paint stick to gearbox oil?
Blowtorch it off, be fine. In fact why not invite Bobby G down to help you next weekend? He's good with burning stuff.
>> cheap sprayer with grandiose ideas of painting the fence...

Oh yes, been there, I did my late Mother's fence and shed with one of those...and her lawn, patio, french windows, next door's washing on the line, their bedding plants, parts of my car, her dustbins and her white garden table. All in a fetching sort of russet brown colour...
>> All in a fetching
>> sort of russet brown colour...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUemq-6t_yQ

In my case, I think the laughing was happening on the neighbours side of the fence.
 The joys of home servicing. - Dave
You need a cheap Kilispray sprayer. Take off the spray nozzle, fill the bottle, poke in the hose, and away you go. I use one to fill the ATF on the Landcruiser. Otherwise it takes hours to fill thro' the tiny dipstick hole with an equally tiny funnel.
>>You need a cheap Kilispray sprayer. Take off the spray nozzle...

Excellent thinking! Thank you!
 The joys of home servicing. - Cliff Pope
>> >>You need a cheap Kilispray sprayer. Take off the spray nozzle...
>>
>> Excellent thinking! Thank you!
>>
>>

I've used something like that for some time.
Suggestions:

1) You need a long length of pipe so that the bottle can stand upright at the side of the car, out of range of being accidentally kicked over. Flexible pipe is a good idea, not the semi-rigid stuff they tend to fit, so that you don't pull the container over.

2) Fit a tap near the business end, with about 9" of hose beyond it. Then you can turn it on and off or partially off as you reach level and the oil begins to brim over the threads.

3) Stand the container in a bucket of hot water for half an hour before you start. Hot oil pumps much faster. Near-freezing oil is like trying to pump jelly.

I've never felt the need to suck the oil out. I just undo the drain plug over a large washing up bowl reserved for the purpose. By nifty use of the fingers while the plug is on its last half turn you can avoid getting any oil up your sleeve.
Pour it into the waste container while still hot.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sun 2 Jun 13 at 11:24
 The joys of home servicing. - RichardW
That's class Zero, made me laugh! My own personal experience involved a twin pot Citroen engine - these are air cooled, and have an oil cooler behind the fan. Further, the alternator is mounted on the top of the engine, and doesn't have a separate fan, just a duct off the main cooling fan. Front end of the car has been 'modified' by an over-enthusiastic 17 y old (ie me!) and is in the process of being rebuilt. So, with the alternator, and therefore duct removed, it was decided to start the engine to check the crank shaft wasn't bent. Crankshaft was OK - unfortunately the oil cooler wasn't....it blew oil out into the cooling fan, which then blew it out all over the engine bay, across the drive, and up the side of my parents' recently acquired caravan...... cue a couple of hours with Gunk! When Mum came home from work she objected to the smell of Gunk, but that was glossed over with "some oil leaked on the drive"!

Below came from another forum, and brings tears to my eyes every time I read it...!

Waxoyling
I really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it. I had gone to halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early.
I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boiling water. I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started.
I decided to use a Waxoil gun and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T-shirt and shorts was the dress code.
Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid.
Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…grwat big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface... no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet".... glad she's not in.
Clutching hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practising holding my breath as it went misty in the workshop.
1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill.
I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away. Shove tube into hole and pull trigger… lock and waggle etc.
Enter the cat.
It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can... it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…
“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like brown stuff to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun.
Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ? Could I XXXXXX.
The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirt mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it ran out.
Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears... Some waxoil drpped onto the lead lamp... ping... Blackness.
It also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved friutfull, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked”.
Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…
I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !
Here Puddie cattie……
This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?
1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very peed off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty...scrubbed kitchen floor, sink, worktop
Will she notice?
Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of, floor stinks.
She will be back any minute [gulp]. Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))
...later that evening...... Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in..... "have a nice time dear ?......." "what the HELL is that smell ?"
"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?" "Is that what it is - its disgusting" "Er..really"....
"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."
"er...really ?"
"yes, Really, I mean its stinking everywhere out, its even permutated the house " "really"
"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling
"Charming... well... Anyway, have you finished?"
THOUGHTS...............
I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and
SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!
Beer.... Bed.... RESULT....... !
But a bit close for comfort......far to close
 The joys of home servicing. - Mike H
>> Below came from another forum, and brings tears to my eyes every time I read
>> it...!
>>
Did the same for me, brightened up this very wet Sunday morning!

Some years ago, our neighbours' cat came home covered in diesel. He and I had to bath it, it took the two of us, so my sympathies lie with the poor chap in your story trying to manage it alone!
>>Did the same for me, brightened up this very wet Sunday morning!

Wet! - where d'you live then Mike, most of Gran Britannia is bathed in glorious sunshine this morning.
 The joys of home servicing. - borasport

>> it reminds me of when I bought a cheap sprayer with grandiose ideas of painting
>> the fence, and ending up chucking it the bin after about an hour...
>>
ah, yes - 10 minutes to paint a fence panel and an hour to clean the sprayer properly....
 The joys of home servicing. - L'escargot
I bought a Pela 2000 (i.e 2 litre) oil extractor pump. www.pelaproducts.com/ It's a superb piece of kit, although it works best when the oil is warm.
 The joys of home servicing. - Bigtee
Serviced the vectra Diesel 58 plate got covered in oil from the sump plug that stopped moving half way out and was v hot and the oil filter is a right sod to get off been on the car ramps so front end up had to get a chair to stand on to lean over the engine from the top to undo.

The the brake fluid was changed and glad i did it was dirty at just £4.00 a litre i use a syringe it's a large plastic one with vacuum hose on the end and suck out the fluid no need to pump the pedal past it's normal travel.

All in took 3 hrs including mopping up oil and a brew.

The brake pedal is much more responsive do you guys change the fluid or leave it?
 The joys of home servicing. - L'escargot
>> The brake pedal is much more responsive do you guys change the fluid or leave
>> it?
>>

I leave it ~ to my dealer who does it at my request every two years as per Ford's recommendations.
 The joys of home servicing. - ....
Cracking write-up, thought you were about to answer you're own question:

>> Decided to give the Lander its long overdue service today.
>> annoyance no 1, don't you just hate the fact the 'box takes 2.2 litres? Only
>> comes in 1 litre bottles, so you have to buy three with 0.8 litres left
>> that will probably never get used! Grrrr
>>

by later telling us you forgot to replace the drain plug for that first, fresh half-litre.

Got my Volvo fully fettled by the specialist who I now trust more than ever over the monkeys at Volvo. Was starting to think the end was nigh and I'd have to look for something new.
They went over the car with a fine tooth comb, sorted EVERYTHING out and I still had change from what the appointed Volvo main dealer charged just for some rear disks, pads and shoes. Really happy with the car again. Doing it yourself adds an extra something.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 2 Jun 13 at 17:08
 The joys of home servicing. - rtj70
I hope the walls are okay after the incident with the plastic sheet - otherwise what saving from changing the oil yourself? Fingers crossed.
 The joys of home servicing. - AnotherJohnH
>> Doing it yourself adds an extra something.

I have a feeling that I'm not thinking what you're thinking...
 The joys of home servicing. - ....
I'm thinking car servicing, I'm guessing you're on a different kind of service schedule ;-)
 The joys of home servicing. - AnotherJohnH
>> I'm thinking car servicing, I'm guessing you're on a different kind of service schedule ;-)

Oddly enough no.

Z's tale of woe, and the story of the waxoiled cat...
>>annoyance no 1, don't you just hate the fact the 'box takes 2.2 litres? Only comes in 1 litre bottles, so you have to buy three with 0.8 litres left that will probably never get used! Grrrr

I could have done with that 0.8 litres when I changed my rear diff oil.

The capacity of which is 0.8 litres, so I only bought 1 litre but it's many a year (decade actually) since I laid on my back with a litre of 75w-90 in my hand.

Course, ya can't get all the oil out of the 1 litre bottle, can ya, I ended up putting some of the old stuff back in (not a lot)

A wise man would have purchased 2 litres :)
>>A wise man would have purchased 2 litres :)

Especially when you need the same stuff when you do the front diff too...
;-))
 The joys of home servicing. - -
Slipped a minor service into the Outlander this afternoon, quick oil change, checked the brakes and susp bushes etc, plugs renewed 6 months ago.

Checked rear diff, level fine dipped the oil its as clean as can be so probably renewed during its full MD servicing.

Bosch oil filter was on far too tight, effectively crushed it removing with the filter chain wrench, lovely and easy to get at.

New Mann filter for the sum of £2.60 and refilled with Millers fully synthetic 5w40.

Just remembered i didn't look for the front diff/transfer box filler plug, drat, its auto box but i expect the box doesn't share oil with the diff, oh well will have to do that next time i'm underneath.

Which could be soon, its booked in for MOT Friday, fingers crossed.
Latest Forum Posts