Motoring Discussion > Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 34

Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - RattleandSmoke
My car tax runs out on the 28th and it will be a few weeks until the DVLA can process the change of ownership.

I assume I will get an automatic fine etc from the DVLA for not renewing it? Is there something on that form to say that I have sold the car? I assume it must be a common problem.
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Dwight Van Driver
If you have complied with the Road Vehicles (Reg and Licensing) Regs 2002 in relation to notifying Dvla of sale of you vehicle by following the instructions on V5 then you fears are goundless.

dvd
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - bathtub tom
The instructions are on the V5.

Please don't tell me you gave the whole V5 to whoever bought it, because he said 'trust me I'll deal with it'?

Edit: I was typing as DVD posted.
Last edited by: looseat len {p} on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 15:32
I have the section of it which I keep and the yellow trader bit which I need to send off.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 15:35
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - R.P.
Rattle,

Just caught up with this - your luck has got to change hasn't it ! I would look to financing a new car with a five or seven year warranty.....
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Zero
wouldnt hurt to do an online SORN now
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - FotheringtonTomas
It's not his car!
so?
Just spoke to the DVLA and said the automatic fine was issued 30 days after the tax runs out, I thought it was 5 days so it seems providing they get the new document which I send recorded delivery it shouldn't be a problem.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if you could change ownership online via some sort of electronic signature system but I suppose it would be too expensive.

I can't SORN the car as I am no longer the registered keeper.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 16:24
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - midlifecrisis
I'm going to buy some shares from the makers of Valium!
I think thats another thread. Got to out in a minute but may need some suggestions for legal ways to chill out other than drinking ten pints of cider. I will keep it for another thread though.

Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - rtj70
>> providing they get the new document which I send recorded delivery it shouldn't be a problem

If you're that worried take the slip in to your local DVLA office. Near Old Trafford. I am sure they will post it on for you for free. I asked them to check my photo on my driving licence renewal and they also posted it internally for me (that was in Edinburgh mind).
Damn I wish I knew that earlier, just asked my dad that an hour ago and he said he thought I had to send it to Swansea. I have an electronic copy of the form I sent off on an SD card and two hard drives so I have proof. I also got a receiopt to prove I sent it.

You probably should post it off (postcode makes sure things get to the right DVLA department - i.e. post office does initial mail sorting due to volumes) but they might have done as a favour. Or do it anyway. Parking can be a little bit of a problem near the Old Trafford DVLA office I seem to remember.
Last edited by: welshy on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 16:55
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Mapmaker
Much better would have been to have renewed the car licence before selling the car. Then at least you would have been relieved of this worry.

;)
Yep but it would have cost me £70 and it would have not made the car worth £70 more, well it would but not in the traders eyes. I spoke to DVLA on the phone and the woman said its not a problem as its 30 days anyway. Its only a problem if the police stop the car but I assume the trader has parked it off road anyway. It was all last minute really, I was sitting on my computer and had thought I would make an add to see if there was any interest and it was sold within the hour.

I have a habit of thinking things through in minute detail and then suddenly doing something on the spur of the moment.
>>I have the section of it which I keep and the yellow trader bit which I need to send off.

You've read what you've got to do.

You know what you've got to do.

Why don't you just do it?

One day, someone's going to set up a new ID: Prattle

The first post will be: My fuel gauge has gone below the halfway mark. Should I buy some petrol. Where should I buy it from? Where's my petrol cap? Where's my wallet? Should I use my credit card or cash?........... AAAAAAAARRGGGHH!
Its already sent off thats the problem :( Oh well.

If anything does happen I have proof I have sold it (well this site) it linked to the same email address as the advert I posted which proves its me. I have the signed copy of the form and I did a job straight after I sold it which proves I wasn't driving it at the time.

I am only 20 minutes walk from the Manchester DVLA office so I could have posted it there no problem but its too late now.

The current system does seem to be rather out dated given all the speed cameras every where.

Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Ted
It doesn't matter. You've dated the V5C with the date of sale. Youv'e sent it off recorded.
If the car gets snapped by a camera now, it won't be down to you !

Even if the DVLA don't get the letter ( unlikely ) you just have to tell the authorities who the driver/owner was at the time. You should have that information anyway.

Now go and have a lie down ! :-)

Ted
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Bellboy
if it had been sold to a proper trader you would have got a signed dated and timed receipt
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - BobbyG
Rattle, you are obviously an intelligent guy but sometimes I wonder if you're finger trigger happy.

Youhave posted a question on here, a thread, and then basically answered your own question by phoning the DVLA!

Why not do that first?

I don't mean any malice by this, but every part of motoring seems to cause you huge huge amount of stress, examples being driving in town, driving to Wales, notifying ins co of a broken window, will your car still start after the cold and now will you get a fine from the DVLA. A lot of what you seem to worry about are hypothetical situations ie. you are worrying about what might happen if a chain of events go against you rather than dealing with facts.

I think you need to take a chill pill, have a look at the news and all around you and remember there are a lot of people out there in a seriously bad worse state with life threatening issues.

Those that know me will know where I am coming from with this, but maybe you should be seeking a release from all the tension and stress thats going on in your life - go to the gym, go for a long walk, take some "time-out"?

Last edited by: BobbyG on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 19:58
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Pat
Or find a good woman:)

Pat
Some may prefer a bad one. ;>)
>> Some may prefer a bad one. ;>)
>>
>>>> damm beaten to it
Managed to persaude a few people to come out tonight, I need a damn damn good night out to releieve the stress. I might actually find that bad woman.

I should have phoned DVLA before posting this thread. I am very finger happy I made the advert for my car without thinking anything through.

Anyway got some good Peroni to take my mind of things until I go out :). There will be no car talk tonight!

>> I can't SORN the car as I am no longer the registered keeper.

Then its not your problem is it. If you cant SORN it or tax it they can fine you can they.
Once sold to a trader he (the trader) has three months before it needs sorning and advising its IN THE TRADE obviously in the meantime hes sold it to big bad john who did that robbery in it then it went to the local drugs dealer to sell his spliffs from then it went to the local uffe who do donuts in the maccie car parks
what a waste of a good first likkle corsa though
makes you wonder if it was all planned by the local raffie that rattles was in a big sting operation to sell poor corsa club into the er club.............
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - R.P.
Oh ! Bellboy ! It's you ! (in a Ness type voice)
the gimp mask was making me struggle to bleath
jbif will be saying the same too.
But DLVA now know I don't own it any more that is the important thing.

I think the final straw was when I looked in the header tank and it appeared to be more oil than coolent and it was also full of rust. I liked car and its why I got upset but with the constant insurance payments, tax being due and the fact it had no MOT and the fact nobody would look at it for less than £500 meant it was my only option.

The engine kept pinking all the time too so that was always something else to go and the gearbox made a racket but could have just needed oil. But my point is it needed a lot more doing than just a head gasket.

My dads Fiesta actually sounds much quieter to the point I have thought I had stalled a few times at lights, its the old overhead valve engine which are known to be noisy too. Now I am getting used to the Fiesta it is not a bad little car it jsut dosn't feel as new.

Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - BobbyG
Rattle, thought you were away to the pub????
Club meeting at 10 :). Need to leave soon though! Just don't fancy waiting ages in town for them to turn up.
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Ted

Town ?? We've got 30 bars within crawling distance !!

Ted
 Informing DVLA I sold my car car tax problem - Hugo
Rattle

Just to put your mind at rest if it should need it. I sold my 200TDi Discovery about 2 weeks ago over the weekend. The paperwork went off the following Monday

This morning I received a letter from the DVLA confirming that I am no longer the registered keeper.

The vehicle that I bought received its new V5 in my name less than 2 weeks afterwards.

They're taking about 2 weeks now.
Latest Forum Posts