Motoring Discussion > Problems with Eurotunnel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 35

Problems with Eurotunnel - PR
I have travelled with Eurotunnel on many occasions and in the main had trouble free experiences.

However, the last couple of times I have travelled with them have been at peak times, and the story is very different. Its as if they cant cope with the levels of traffic they are experiencing. We went at Christmas and were delayed (not overly so), and it was fairly chaotic.

On Fri 24th May (Fri of the bank hol weekend) we were booked to travel over at 2250. We turned up a little after 2200 to find check in queue half a mile or so up the slip road. It took 95 minutes to even reach the booths.

When we got through we had to queue to get to the terminal, and ended up travelling almost 2.5 hours later than our scheduled crossing.

The Eurotunnel website said on its travel status that there were delays due to "an earlier incident in the tunnel which has now been resolved.

On return from my hols I wrote to Eurotunnel asking what their policy on refunds was, explaining clearly as above what had happened. I was staggered to receive a reply that basically said because I had checked in late (due to problems on the motorway) that there was nothing they could do, and it is their policy not to refund any ticket which has been used.

Am I being unreasonable here??
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Dave
I got to the check-in about an hour late once. But the sign outside said the trains were running 2 hours late because of earlier problems. On speaking to the man in the booth, he told me I would have to wait 4 hours for a later train because I had missed the check-in time for my original train (which was 2 hours behind schedule). But, I says, if you're 2 hours behind, my booked train hasn't left yet, so I can get on it in 1 hour. Nope, he says, you missed your train even though it doesn't actually depart for another hour!

Not sure how one can miss a train that hasn't yet left, but there you go.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Zero

>> Not sure how one can miss a train that hasn't yet left, but there you
>> go.

because everyone else arrived on time, and have parked in the correct loading areas, the next lot have arrived and parked in their loading areas. Eurotunnel cant be expected to airlift you over the queue.

You arrived late. Thats the be all and end all of the tale.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Old Navy
>> You arrived late. Thats the be all and end all of the tale.
>>

Try checking in a few minutes late for a cheapo flight and see how much sympathy you get from the airline staff. :-)
 Problems with Eurotunnel - ....
>>
>> >> Not sure how one can miss a train that hasn't yet left, but there
>> you
>> >> go.
>>
>> because everyone else arrived on time, and have parked in the correct loading areas, the
>> next lot have arrived and parked in their loading areas. Eurotunnel cant be expected to
>> airlift you over the queue.
>>
>> You arrived late. Thats the be all and end all of the tale.
>>
He wasn't late, the train was delayed by 2 hours, he got there 1 hour before it was due to leave and according to Eurotunnel you just need to turn up 35 minutes before your train leaves.

My last few crossings with them it appears the French have taken over Customer services.
They used to stick you on the next available crossing within a 2 hour window, now they stick you on the train before your scheduled train if you're lucky and that rolls out 7 mins before your scheduled train. If you arrive 2 hours early and the car park is relatively empty (Last Saturday 5 o'clock for example), it does leave you scratching your head why you have to wait all that time...especially when travelling with small children. Makes a huge difference to a 750 miles journey.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 8 Jun 13 at 22:18
>> He wasn't late,

yes he was - quote " I got to the check in booth an hour late"

>> the train was delayed by 2 hours, he got there 1 hour
>> before it was due to leave

No he didn't he got there 1 hour AFTER it was due to leave. The fact it didn't because it was delayed has nothing to do with it.

>> and according to Eurotunnel you just need to turn
>> up 35 minutes before your train leaves.

According to Eurotunnel you have to check in 35 minutes before the SCHEDULED departure time.

As I said the be all and end all was that he was late.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jun 13 at 22:37
They also claim "Boarding will commence approximately 25 minutes before your departure time." that didn't happen did it ?
Well thats not going to happen if you are an hour late, now is it.

You'd soon be whining if you were stuck on a train for two hours.
He wasn't late, the train he was booked on was probably on it's way to the UK under the channel when he arrived. You can't get on a train that hasn't arrived.

You can't video a train in London if it's still sat in Doncaster.

I built in a few hours for my journey from Northumberland to the Tunnel to account for the motorways, M25, QE2 bridge crossing etc... I got there early and they offered me a crossing 30 minutes earlier than the one I was booked on which left 7 minutes before the one I was booked on. That has happened on more than one occasion and the area where I live has many Brits who use the crossing and are moaning about the level of service and the service reliability.

Sadly, the fact is, many are switching to the ferries as they get better service for less cost.
Of course he was late, what part of "I turned up LATE" are you having trouble with?
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jun 13 at 23:08
He was booked on a train, which had not left and being bumped a few trains.

When we are travelling, if I suspect we are running close to our schedule my wife calls whoever is transporting us and they are usually very helpful.

Eurotunnel does not fall into that category though. They'll hit you for a change now where previously they would be quite accommodating.
>> He was booked on a train, which had not left and being bumped a few
>> trains.

HE WAS LATE. There are no words, excuses or logic you can employ to get round that fact, or use as an excuse to complain about not being allowed on a train you were LATE for.

probably someone else who turned up was given his place on that train. As it should be.
That's the problem, it happens and it's all one sided. OP admitted HE was late but did EUROTUNNEL admit they were running behind schedule and the train he was booked on had not actually arrived, unloaded, loaded or departed ? NO.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 19 Jul 13 at 01:21
Apart from the sign the OP mentioned on the check in booth you mean?
What, this part:
"On Fri 24th May (Fri of the bank hol weekend) we were booked to travel over at 2250. We turned up a little after 2200 to find check in queue half a mile or so up the slip road. It took 95 minutes to even reach the booths."

The queues and lack of available staff on aBank Holiday weekend must have really caught them out.

and Eurotunnels own website states:
"Freedom and flexibility
Taking your car to the Continent offers you complete travel independence and lets you take control. We are the fastest cross-channel operator, with a crossing time of just 35 minutes, so you arrive on the Continent quicker than you think. Our fare structures also offers you good value, giving you cheaper fares when you plan ahead and travel at quieter times.

Up to 4 departures per hour
Motorway to motorway access
1 ticket covers 1 car and up to 9 passengers
No baggage restrictions or fuel supplements
Direct Motorway links
On leaving the shuttle expect excellent motorway networks to keep you moving.

Reliable service
Crossings are frequent, with up to 4 departures an hour at peak times."

Are you a shareholder Zero ?
>> What, this part:
>> "On Fri 24th May (Fri of the bank hol weekend) we were booked to travel
>> over at 2250. We turned up a little after 2200 to find check in queue
>> half a mile or so up the slip road. It took 95 minutes to even
>> reach the booths."

No this part

But the sign outside said the trains were running 2 hours late

>> Are you a shareholder Zero ?

No, Niether am I blindly attached to the idea of a ferry.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Avant
" It took 95 minutes to even reach the booths."

Many thanks PR - I've often wondered whether to use Eurotunnel, but if that's the way they treat customers who are paying a lot of money for the privilege, I will never go that way. I did try to book it once and the stupid system could book me outwards but wouldn't book me back.

Last time I crossed the Channel, you could pay P & O about £12 for priority embarkation on the ferry: this worked well and I hope they still offer that.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Dutchie
I've used the tunnel a few times,prefer the ferries always a hassle getting off and on a island.
used the tunnel loads of times, its always quicker than the ferry and the problems and issues are about on par.

If the Dover / Calais boats all sunk tomorrow, it wouldn't be an issue.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - sooty123
>> used the tunnel loads of times, its always quicker than the ferry and the problems
>> and issues are about on par.
>>
>> If the Dover / Calais boats all sunk tomorrow, it wouldn't be an issue.
>>

Is it not more expensive? I used that ferry a fair bit across the channel, although not many times dover-calais. Never once used the tunnel, from looking at prices I seem to remember thinking the extra wasn't worth it. Has the price dropped in recent years?
 Problems with Eurotunnel - CGNorwich
"If the Dover / Calais boats all sunk tomorrow, it wouldn't be an issue."

It would be if there was another fire in the tunnel. The need for an alternative crossing is rather obvious.

The current annual passenger numbers are around 19 million for the tunnel and 13 million for the Dover/Calais ferries so I suspect that the queues for the tunnel would be a tad longer if your scenario came to pass.

Personally I prefer the ferries. Speed isn't everything especially when you going on holiday.

>> Personally I prefer the ferries. Speed isn't everything especially when you going on holiday.

It is when you loose an hour time wise as well as an hour travel wise.
To you perhaps, not to me.

What is this world., if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
>>
>> >> Personally I prefer the ferries. Speed isn't everything especially when you going on holiday.
>>
>>
>> It is when you loose an hour time wise as well as an hour travel
>> wise.
>>

I lost two hours with the Tunnel, the Ferry company will bump me forward onto an earlier boat, saving two hours, I gain 7 mins. out of the Tunnel.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 8 Jun 13 at 23:26
Not if you turn up late, they cant bump you onto a ferry thats gone....

But hey thats only a train problem now isnt it.

No, they'd put me on the next available ferry. the difference I was not late, I was two hours early and instead of making me wait, they were flexible enough to put me on an earlier boat, something the train company have restricted to 30 minutes therefore burning into their huge time benefit.

I have looked at a crossing in late July/early August. The ferry company wants GBP84, Eurotunnel want 220EUR. If I arrive for an earlier ferry crossing it is the same price so they will put me on the earlier ferry if space is available. If I arrive early for the outward bound Eurotunnel crossing it is more expensive to book now so I expect they will either make me wait or charge me for the crossing. I can take the ferry, book a hotel for the night and still be quids in over the tunnel.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Mike H
>> I've used the tunnel a few times,prefer the ferries always a hassle getting off and
>> on a island.
>>
I think you mean on and off ;-)
Delays are just a part of travelling. Not worth getting into a lather about. You got where you wanted to go albeit a couple of hours late. What do you want a refund for?
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Armel Coussine
Why would you want to put your car on a train and pay extra to cross the channel? Enjoy the hassle of getting off and on a island as Dutchie puts it. Hear the seabirds, get some air.

If you're just nipping to Paris and back without the jalopy, the Eurotunnel makes sense. Otherwise it may be a bit more efficient, but it's pants basically.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Skip
Eurotunnel's reliability & customer service have both decreased significantly over the last few years to the point that I will no longer use them. The last 3 crossings I had with them were all delayed by 3-6 hours due to train failure in one of the tunnels. I suspect that the age of their rolling stock and equipment is now starting to show, and the lack of profits over the years has prevented them replacing them as should have happened. The sites & rolling stock now look very shabby. The automated check in booths have also twice refused to allow me to check in despite doing everything correctly, judging by the frequent delays at the booths this is not an uncommon occurrence ! Competition from the tunnel has made the ferry companies really improve their service and this is how I choose to cross the channel now.
There seems to have been some confusion between my original post (I am the OP ;) and Daves post..

To reiterate, we turned up 40 minutes before our crossing, and were late at the check in due to a 95 minute queue, due to an earlier problem in the tunnel.
I was then practically blamed for my long wait because of this "late" check in
>> There seems to have been some confusion between my original post (I am the OP
>> ;) and Daves post..
>>
>> To reiterate, we turned up 40 minutes before our crossing, and were late at the
>> check in due to a 95 minute queue, due to an earlier problem in the
>> tunnel.
>> I was then practically blamed for my long wait because of this "late" check in

You have to say, you were pushing it a bit, rocking up expecting only a 5 minute wait to check in.
10 minutes (its min 30 min), but to be fair you cant turn up more than 2hrs before anyway. Also I have never seen any issues at the actual check in desks before. Even at peak times I have never waited more than 10 mins at the check in. Delays were always at customs / loading etc..

Also to judge a 320 mile trip on a Fri eve on a bank holiday weekend isn't that easy! We should have been there around 30 mins prior to this arrival but for delays on the A1/Dartford crossing (coming from the NE of England), so although I take your point Zero, if its going to become an issue for Eurotunnel going forward they need to change their min check in times.

In effect, we kept our side of the ticket conditions, by arriving at Eurotunnel prior to the time we were supposed to.

I do accept they have problems and sometimes there are delays, Im not unreasonable, but for them to blame me for arriving late when I didn't was as I said, staggering!
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Bromptonaut
I agree with PR that Eurotunnel's customer service here was poor.

The approach should have been to be open and say that there had been a problem earlier in the day. As a result there is a two hour backlog and vehicles are being loaded on the first shuttle with space. In the meantime here is a voucher for £20 off your next crossing.

Similar experience myself in 2011 with DFDS. Arrived at Dover around 12:45 to an unusually long and slow moving check in queue for 14:00 Dunkerque sailing. At check in our booking was called up and we were given directions to a wait line and told 'next sailing is at 16:00'. No explanation or apology. Only when I demanded a reason I was told they'd had to cancel an early morning crossing due a fouled propeller - divers needed. They were still struggling to catch up.

Now if she'd greeted us with a smile and (if the ANPR calls booking details up soon enough) my name together with an 'I'm very sorry but....' I'd have been less aggrieved. They might also have got the guys sunning themselves the assembly area and handing out flyers for the on board shop walking the check in queue.
 Problems with Eurotunnel - Alanovich
I travelled in the early afternoon, on the day after the OP (25th May). The trains were running around 2 hours late. We were late to the check in booth, arriving at the time our train was due to depart (jams on the M3 and M25 slowed us right up). Were were on a train and away within an hour though, which wasn't too bad considering.
A bit of joy finally, I replied to their first email with a strongly worded (but polite) follow up, whereupon they admitted they had had to cancel earlier trains, apologised and offered me £35 towards my next journey with them, which I think is a fair outcome.

Would have been better to have offered this straight away as mentioned above, but I suppose we got there in the end!
Latest Forum Posts