Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo 156 - Temp Alfa 156 - 6mths on. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 1

Alfa Romeo 156 - Temp Alfa 156 - 6mths on. - Fenlander
Not going to bore the masses with future 3 monthly updates but the 6 month point this Alfa's reached seems quite pivotal so worth reporting on.

Quick recap in case there are any new members who wouldn't know the back story.... 10yr old 150k Alfa 156 2.4JTD bought as a £700 temp replacement runaround while I decided what to get next after 3yrs leasing. In the initial weeks spent £514 on getting it mechanically spot on (set of tyres was most of that). This planned repair spend was budgeted for in the price paid for the car.

Amazingly (as far as doubters may think) it has proved totally reliable with not one single extra item of expenditure. It still doesn't use oil or water and there are no drips on the drive. Every modern electronic system continues to function perfectly. The dash doesn't squeak, the suspension doesn't rattle, there really is no indication when driving that it has covered such a high mileage.

As far as driving goes it is a complete pleasure. Nicely balanced handling with a much higher grip level than I've experienced in many years, very direct steering with good feel, excellent mid range pull and relaxed high geared cruising. Excellent fuel consumption.

The body is far from mint with 10yrs of small car park dings and a couple of panels with slightly different shades to a critical eye but the overall look is still tidy when viewed on the road. In truth after stressing over my lease car building up such damage from new it's quite satisfying to be able to leave the Alfa anywhere without worry.

This sounds a bit like Top Gear speak but every time you drop behind the steering wheel there is anticipation of the journey ahead.... and for that reason it will stay for the forseeable future. I do casually look for newer 156/159s on Autotrader from time to time as an estate would suit me better but worry I could get one for £5k more and it wouldn't be so good.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 10 Jun 13 at 11:17
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Temp Alfa 156 - 6mths on. - PR
Glad to hear it Fenlander! My 9.5 year old GTA continues to delight, cant think of anything that I would rather be driving round...

Became a 2 Alfa family aswell when replacing the 150k mile Bravo with an ex demo Giulietta, which is lovely...
Latest Forum Posts