Motoring Discussion > Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 22

Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - legacylad
I posted earlier about a surfeit of 4x4s in my locality. Now another neighbour tells me he is chopping in his Golf for a 2006 Rav XT4 2.2 diesel. He drives it a mile, literally, to and from the shops so I just hope he doesn't suffer any DPF problems, although on one of this age it may not have a DPF! The dealer tells him that 'on a run' he can get 45mpg. With his short trips it could well be nearer 30. The neighbour opposite changes her Rav4 diesel every 3 years, is currently on a 60plate, rates them highly and is currently on her third so that is a good recommendation I suppose.
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - -
Didn't go Rav4 when we bought the last car though it was considered, i wanted another LPG and a converted Outlander1 came up, Rav4's apparently suffer the same CHG problems as other 2.2 Toyota Diesels the petrol is rare and small capacity.

Whatever we buy in the future a full time 4x4 of one type or another is likely to be at least one of the two cars we will most likely own for the forseeable.

Its the sure footed handling whatever the weather that puts the icing on the cake for us, plus the vehicle should be capable of negotiating the Northants urban (offroadcourse) ruined streets without too much damage to vehicle or occupants.
My neighbour called round tonight (bless him) to tell me he had second thoughts about part xing his Golf for the Rav 4 2.2D. Seems he has read reports about DPF problems, especially given his short journey routine. I gently suggested a petrol 4 x4 (CRV, Rav 4 or whatever) but he is fixated by a few more mpg from diesels.
You can lead a horse to water...tomorrow he is on a mission to find a small/medium 4 x 4 diesel without a DPF, but which is less than 5 years old. He has promised to let me know in due course, and my suggestion of a petrol estate with all season tyres fell on stony ground.
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - R.P.
There was a pretty little Panda 4x4 with a full set of winter wellies for sale on a biking website I frequent....I was sorely tempted.
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Clk Sec
>>My neighbour called round tonight (bless him) to tell me he had second thoughts about part xing his Golf for the Rav 4 2.2D. Seems he has read reports about DPF problems, especially given his short journey routine. I gently suggested a petrol 4 x4 (CRV, Rav 4 or whatever) but he is fixated by a few more mpg from diesels.
You can lead a horse to water...tomorrow he is on a mission to find a small/medium 4 x 4 diesel without a DPF, but which is less than 5 years old

From what little I know, it doesn't seem to be a bad idea to steer clear of DPFs (and DSGs/CVTs), and stick to a petrol (+manual a gearbox).
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - R.P.
I'd have to think very hard about buying another diesel - might by an auto but not a DSG
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Runfer D'Hills
I'm on my second car and 140 thousand(th) mile with a DPF. The one before that didn't have a DPF but it did have a DMF and it did just short of 200k.

All of them have been NFP.
I also know several people with NFP cars (whatever that is) but like you Humph they munch motorway miles. Unlike my neighbour who munches a mile each day to the shops, and three miles each way on a Sunday for his roast dinner!
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Clk Sec
Rust aside, my last three petrol/manual cars must have been pretty NP to have kept me pottering around for the last 35 years.

Touch wood; not a single engine or gearbox problem encountered.
;-)
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Bigtee
There is loads of them doing the school run lots of kids getting out some 7 seaters and why not poxy small cars are rubbish you can't do anything worth while with them.

Now them 4x4 pick ups loads of these on the roads tempted must say!
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Manatee
>> I also know several people with NFP cars (whatever that is) but like you Humph
>> they munch motorway miles. Unlike my neighbour who munches a mile each day to the
>> shops, and three miles each way on a Sunday for his roast dinner!
>>

Just got back from the paper shop. 50 minutes walking, just over 3 miles. I won't start the diesel for that, nor do I want to leave an exhaust full of dilute acid in the exhaust of one of the petrol cars, unless I'm in a hurry or the weather is especially foul.

After taking your recommendation for the Grisport Dartmoor 7 league boots, I'm fairly zipping about. Best marching shoe I have ever had.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 16 Jun 13 at 10:11
Bromp broken M?
>> Bromp broken M?

No, but need to expend a few more calories :)

I've some fencing to look at, might go for a bike after that if it's not too windy.
>>I've some fencing to look at...

Duel ?
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Zero

>> Just got back from the paper shop. 50 minutes walking, just over 3 miles. I
>> won't start the diesel for that, nor do I want to leave an exhaust full
>> of dilute acid in the exhaust of one of the petrol cars, unless I'm in
>> a hurry or the weather is especially foul.

If you do the 3 miles in under three minutes there wont be anything left in the exhaust.
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - Dog
>>Grisport Dartmoor 7 league boots

Are they shoes more than boots though Man o' tea, I need to replace my Zamberlan boots, but the

www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Unisex-Peaklander-Hiking-CMG607/dp/B002IIE5L2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371374804&sr=8-4&keywords=grisport+boots

are half the price.
>> >>Grisport Dartmoor 7 league boots
>>
>> Are they shoes more than boots though Man o' tea,

Yes they are more shoes than boots, best if it's not too wet (thugh they are waterproof as long as it's not over the top) but brilliant on metalled roads. I got them for c £50 on Amazon, the usual price seems to be £70+. Wish I'd bought two pair.

I have a lovely pair of Meindl boots for rougher and wetter walking but on the experience of the Dartmoors I'd be happy to give their boots a go if I needed some.
 Toyota RAV-4 - Even more 4x4s in the neighbourhood - corax
>> I have a lovely pair of Meindl boots for rougher and wetter walking

I find Meindl boots comfortable straight from the off.

I'll probably go for a pair of these, when my credit card cools down :)

www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Mens-Everest-Hiking-Boot/dp/B0048BQ1Y6
>> I'll probably go for a pair of these, when my credit card cools down :)
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Mens-Everest-Hiking-Boot/dp/B0048BQ1Y6

They say the Dartmoor is the shoe version of that boot so a good chance they are OK.

Boy is off city backpacking for a few days in August, I have just ordered him a pair of the shoes as a birthday present.
Nice pressie, I'll run the Zamberlans for a few miles yet, the outers are well split, but the inners (Gortex) are still doing their job okay.
Dontcha just love thread drift.
My neighbour has not got back to me following his Saturday search for a newish, 4 to 5 years, medium sized 4 x 4 without a DPF.
Personally I now do all my walking in Salomon XA Pros. Super lightweight, and the GTX version, useful in heavy rain/snow, has a Goretex lining. Not everyone likes 'trainers' and feels the need for boots once off road. Depends if you need ankle support. I don't, but always fit a variant of Superfeet footbeds for arch support. They don't look much but I wouldn't be without.
I much prefer a 'proper' boot with ankle support, y'all never know when you might need it ;)

I bought my first pair of Zamberlan boots nigh-on 30 years ago, and although I've tried others like Brasher, Hi-Tec, Berghaus, (yes, I know Meindl are v/good) I've always gorn back to Zamberlan.

But, um gonna try a pair of those Grisport Everest jobbies mighty soon as they're made in Italy and, the price is right.
Latest Forum Posts