Motoring Discussion > One careful owner Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 19

One careful owner - Runfer D'Hills
cars.aol.co.uk/2013/06/14/volvo-owner-clocks-up-3-million-miles/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl14%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D187160
 One careful owner - Dog
Interesting comment from that article:

"The first of the volvo P1800 were made by Jensen under license in the UK and the later P1800S models were made in sweden.

The one that Roger Moore used in the TV series was presented to him by "Speeds" Volvo of Alfreton Derbys
"
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 14 Jun 13 at 19:34
 One careful owner - Dutchie
Incredible mileage,and some people are worried with 50000 miles on the clock.

Good engineering and aftercare says it all.
 One careful owner - Westpig
Is it like Trigger's broom?
 One careful owner - borasport
>> Is it like Trigger's broom?
>>
Couldn't work that out, but I guess it's an 'Only fools' reference. Like 'grandads axe' - 100 percent original, its had 3 heads and 4 hafts....
 One careful owner - rtj70
Yes her was referring to Trigger from Only Fools and Horses.

Thread dragged up because of the spammer trying to push their website for selling cars.
 One careful owner - Armel Coussine
Pity all that care was wasted on that poncy motor though. I never liked that model, and Roger Moore put me off it even further.

Good motor obviously if run properly. That's an impressive mileage. One can't help wondering whether anything not mentioned had to be done to the engine and driveline though.
 One careful owner - R.P.
Colleague in work had one - cut rather a dash, with his boy band look and designer stubble....
 One careful owner - Boxsterboy
I seem to recall reading a more detailing article on this car before (2,000,000 mile report perhaps?) and there had been some major rebuilding/repairs.
 One careful owner - Armel Coussine
>> there had been some major rebuilding/repairs.

I can't say I'm surprised. Piston rings would be getting pretty thin at those mileages... rockers, valve guides, the pistons themselves, and even crankshaft bearings.

Of course a rebuilt engine in the original block would be potentially better than new (bored out, so bigger capacity, and smaller crankshaft journals so less frictional loss). But only a club racer would try to exploit any of that...
 One careful owner - Cliff Pope
It's undeniably impressive, and I have read an account of some of the rebuilding work done.

But there are quite a few Volvo Amazons and 240s around with mileages approaching a million, and several Amazons in South Africa with something like 2 million.
My local Volvo garage has two clients with 240s that have done over 800,000 miles.

I once read Irv Gordon saying that windscreens were a problem, only lasting about 500,000 miles because the wipers wore them out.
 One careful owner - Dave_
>> there had been some major rebuilding/repairs.

Carburettor rebushing every 900,000 miles without fail IIRC :)

Kinda puts my old Octavia into place; it had new rear brake shoes every 100,000 miles whilst I ran it.
 One careful owner - Falkirk Bairn
the volvo P1800 bodies were made in Paisely by Pressed Steel Fisher.... they made Hillman Imp bodies as well.

The P1800 bodies were packed 6 x to a lorry and were shipped to Sweden in the weekly caargo boats from Grangemouth Docks- the bodies were 90% steel and 10% grease to stop the unpainted bodies from rusting en-route.
 One careful owner - Dog
Interesting piece here on the history of Pressed Steel: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressed_Steel_Company
 One careful owner - sooty123
I can't believe that anyone would drive that much. According to the report since 2002 he's av 127k miles a year. He must spend nearly every waking hour driving somewhere.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 17:36
 One careful owner - L'escargot
857 oil changes in 3 million miles is an oil change every 3500 miles. With an average yearly mileage of 64,000 miles, an oil change every 3500 miles is 18 oil changes a year which is one every 20 days!
 One careful owner - WillDeBeest
Some here would tell you that's still not often enough.
 One careful owner - Zero
You'd wear your Pela out.
 One careful owner - R.P.
My mum told me I'd wear mine out as well.
 One careful owner - MD
I wanted to give you 2 clicks for that Rob. If you get my meaning................
Latest Forum Posts