Motoring Discussion > Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 48

Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Fullchat
I am sure most of us at some time have been the victim of cracked and broken plastics or tabs and have tried to mend using a variety of glues or reinforce using Araldite with either no or limited success :(

I have just pulled my fairings on the Triumph Sprint and a couple of the mounting tabs were disaster zones, cracks and breaks. Plastic too thin and gone brittle.

After a browsing the web for some inspiration I came across a couple of products - Q Bond and Plastex. Both products contain separate filler powders and a type of superglue. The glue works on it's own but real adhesion comes with using the fine filler and the glue. You do have to V groove the crack, a Dremel is the business, pour the powder into the groove and add the glue. Instant bond. Don't need much and it will sand down with a needle file.

I have been able to reconstruct the tabs really well and they feel strong but have also reinforced with ABS plastic and ABS glue.

At this stage it appears to be the dog's dangley bits. Plastex only appears available from one source in the UK - Repair Products Ltd. I got the Q bond through Amazon which you could get the Plastex through.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 00:31
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Fursty Ferret
Interesting. No adverse reaction from the plastic?

The only times I've used superglue* (ie, cyanoacrylate) on plastics, it's either dissolved the plastic or discoloured the entire area. I use a two part epoxy now if I need to glue plastics so will take a closer look at this.

What is the filler made from?
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Old Navy
A good source for ABS plastic repairs is your local DIY shed, ABS drainpipe solvent cement is cheap and readily available, usually by request only. Plumbing pipe and fittings can be cut up for repair material.
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - WillDeBeest
I was pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of Bostik All-Purpose Extra-Strong Clear Adhesive on the ABS lid of the Volvo's armrest compartment. I tried it on a couple of stolen Lego blocks first, but there was significantly less surface area to work with (and little space to add concealed reinforcement) on the car part.

That was weeks ago now and, with some Halfords spray lubricant worked into the over-complex slidy hinge (whose sticking caused the lid to snap in the first place) it seems to be holding well. Wish I'd done the lubricating first, though.
FF. No adverse reaction from the plastics as it cure instantly. As regards the filler powders, I'm not sure. One of the U Tube clips in relation to the Q Bond claims the grey powder is aluminium and the black is plastic. I did use the grey powder on my ABS plastics and its solid as a rock.
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - martint123
Thanks the info FC, I too have a few broken fairing tabs.
The problem I find is determining what sort of plastic it is to search for the best glue. Hard plastic, flexi plastic, waxy plastic.
I have had most success with a hot soldering iron and using plastic knitting needles as "filler"
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - R.P.
Ride Magazine has a feature on the Dremel thing....I rather fancy one.....
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 20:37
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Zero
you don't have a dremmel?

Blimey.

Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Runfer D'Hills
I don't have one either.

(or a trainset for that matter)
You need one Humph....next best thing to a chainsaw for the suburban man.
>> You need one Humph....next best thing to a chainsaw for the suburban man.
>>

Don't forget the 4X4 to carry it in. :-)
>>Don't forget the 4X4

Aye, with winter tyres too !

:-)
What were you thinking of cutting up?
Just stuff...
"Little" stuff presumably?
Small stuff, even smaller...
Jealous now, I don't have anything that small to cut up. Still want an axe though.
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - ....
You need to get a chainsaw first, much safer than an axe (in my own slightly reduced digit experience).
I could do with a dremmel for filing stuff like my big toe nails, getting on a bit and noticed the rhino horn forming.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 21:35
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - sooty123
>> You need to get a chainsaw first, much safer than an axe (in my own
>> slightly reduced digit experience).

What!! Madness stick to an axe I reckon far safer and better than a chainsaw, I use my axe several times a week in the summer.
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - WillDeBeest
...getting on a bit and noticed the rhino horn forming.

I thought that was something that happened less with advancing years. Not sure I'd be using a Dremel on it when it did - although I suppose that might depend on the attachment.
>> ...getting on a bit and noticed the rhino horn forming.
>>
>> I thought that was something that happened less with advancing years.
>>
It migrates to the big toe nail, might have something to do with gout. Now that would be an attachment, something that could shatter the crystals and relieve gout...
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 22:21
Little chainsaw or big Dremel? (I am easily confused) :-)
Dunno ON, I'm just trying to keep him talking until the heid doctor gets there
:-) I have been up here long enough to understand the dialect.
Figured that. Didn't want "him" to understand and get nervous...Hope they get there soon.

:-)
I lived in the West for many years, but have a Wegie friend who married a local girl and he has be teaching me the lingo for years. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 21:16
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Shiny
Has anyone seen SUGRU?
sugru.com
That's something anyone into fixing things should have in their...fridge.
I used it to fix the wife's cable strain relief, and with what was left in the sachet, I fixed the double-glazing's beading gasket which has shrunk away from the corners outside.
>> I used it to fix the wife's cable strain relief, >>

You have your good lady on a powered cable lead? There must be a story there. :-)
>> Dunno ON, I'm just trying to keep him talking until the heid doctor gets there

get te, ya choochter
>> >> Dunno ON, I'm just trying to keep him talking until the heid doctor gets
>> there
>>
>> get te, ya choochter
>>

One too may O's I think.
I am sure that Zero thinks anything North of the M4 is a foreign country. :-)
You ever been to Wiltshere ON ?
Yes, its not quite as primitive as the Jungle in Papua New Guinea, the cannibals pidgin English was almost as bad as the Glaswegians. :-)
>> I am sure that Zero thinks anything North of the M4 is a foreign country.
>> :-)

Yes, and you forgot to insert uncivilised
 Broken Plastics - Miracle Glue. - Lygonos
>>Yes, and you forgot to insert uncivilised

Mmm.. I guess that explains why South of the M4 is UKIP homeland - fantasists seem to thrive there.
>> >>Yes, and you forgot to insert uncivilised
>>
>> Mmm.. I guess that explains why South of the M4 is UKIP homeland - fantasists
>> seem to thrive there.

fantasist? two words. Alex Salmond.
>>
>> fantasist? two words. Alex Salmond.
>>

That is a devious way of getting me to agree with you Z. :-)
>>fantasist? two words. Alex Salmond.

Indeed, although somehow the guy got into the hotseat - I hope for your sake Faraj doesn't emulate that in Engerland.

Still haven't seen a poll where more than 50% of the Scottish electorate wanted Independence, and interestingly after what appeared to be a bit of gerrymandering by the SNP by giving 16 and 17yr olds the vote for the referendum, it appears this age group is actually less likely to vote for a split.
Salmonds plan "B" should be entertaining. Or he will disappear on a huge pension leaving a shambles in his wake.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 22:36
Isn't that Plan A for all politicians ?

Look at Patrick Mercer, will stand down at the next election...why's that ? Is it so he can get a full term in Government and get some kind of upgraded pension rather than go now because he has been caught selling his constituents, the sugar producers, down the river for "pennies*"

* Pennies read £1,000 a day !
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 22:38
>> >> >> Dunno ON, I'm just trying to keep him talking until the heid doctor
>> gets
>> >> there
>> >>
>> >> get te, ya choochter
>> >>
>>
>> One too may O's I think.

I think not.
Teuchter.

Zed has the pronunciation right, presuming the 'ch' is not the tiresome 'ck' style of Londoners.
I must admit, after almost 50 years up here I still occasionally let a "ck" slip out. Once a Londoner............:-)
>> Teuchter.
>>
>> Zed has the pronunciation right, presuming the 'ch' is not the tiresome 'ck' style of
>> Londoners.
>>

Aye that sounds more like it.
>> >> >> >> Dunno ON, I'm just trying to keep him talking until the heid
>> doctor
>> >> gets
>> >> >> there
>> >> >>
>> >> >> get te, ya choochter
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >> One too may O's I think.
>>
>> I think not.
>>

I'm afraid so yes one too many.
Martin.I've been messing around with this stuff all day. The more I use it the more I'm amazed. If you want a demo get in touch.
>>I've been messing around with this stuff all day. The more I use it the more I'm amazed

What solvent is in it?

Are you high?

;-)
I don't care :))))))
>> I don't care :))))))
>>
You NEVER seriously thought a thread about glue would EVER stay on thread !!!
Latest Forum Posts