Motoring Discussion > Eu3 Cars are dead... Green Issues
Thread Author: .... Replies: 12

Eu3 Cars are dead... - ....
From 1st July 2014 all EUIII cars are finished in Cologne.

There's a throughpass from the A57 over Zoobrücke onto the A3 and out to the airport via an extended route, which is totally CO2 free, yeah right !!!

www.lowemissionzones.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/germany-mainmenu-61/koln

The car might be bomb proof but it is not politrics proof.

The day was always coming, now it's here, only a question of when road pricing arrives.

Why buy a car? The aim is to get everyone into a lease with a guaranteed revenue stream.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 16 Jun 13 at 00:16
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - PeterS
Interesting, but am I reading it correctly? It seems to apply to diesels only - clicking the 'foreign vehicle' link shows that a petrol car registered post January 1993 will still get a green sticker!?!

Meaning the 1994 Audi Cabriolet that I bought for £500 on eBay (to plug a convertible sized gap identified during a sunny week in April) wiith a 2.6 V6 and 4 speed auto box, and which averages 25mpg, will still be let in...Odd...
Yep, EuIII only applies to diesel but you're on the treadmill, EuV and VI are out there now. Going to shatter used car values when you know the end date.

Well done Brussels...100k€ super mobile (S Class - are you reading Mercedes) is worth less than the square root of pharque hall in 60 months.
>> Meaning the 1994 Audi Cabriolet that I bought for £500 on eBay (to plug a
>> convertible sized gap identified during a sunny week in April) wiith a 2.6 V6 and
>> 4 speed auto box, and which averages 25mpg, will still be let in...Odd...
>>
And it will be banned when it suits...Race to the bottom, most people will rent a car when they need it and use public transport or a motorbike or a push bike.

It really is a race to the bottom in Europe while China and the US battle it out for supremacy while Russia looks for an opportunity. We're stuffed, the politicians in Europe don't have a Scooby between them.
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - IJWS14
Visited Karlsruhr last year, Octavia about to go back so didn't get sticker, parked at the station and rode the tram into the centre.

Went back this year with green sticker on the Passat, parked in the centre of town, saved 20 minutes each way.

Stickers available by post from Berlin(6 Euro). My parents bought one in Germany when they were over this year for (5 Euro) (but he has the original V5.
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - Bill Payer
>> From 1st July 2014 all EUIII cars are finished in Cologne.
>>
Don't know about other makes, but there's going to be a lot of Merc diesel's affected by this - my 2005 C270CDi is EU3.
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - CGNorwich
Cologne has always been known for its air pollution as Coleridge remarked:

In Köhln, a town of monks and bones,
And pavements fang'd with murderous stones
And rags, and hags, and hideous wenches ;
I counted two and seventy stenches,
All well defined, and several stinks !
Ye Nymphs that reign o'er sewers and sinks,
The river Rhine, it is well known,
Doth wash your city of Cologne ;
But tell me, Nymphs, what power divine
Shall henceforth wash the river Rhine ?

Eu3 Cars are dead... - WillDeBeest
Isn't poetry the most ridiculous artform? How can anyone write sub-Rupert Bear doggerel like that and be remembered as a great poet? It couldn't be any worse if he'd titled it Odour Cologne.

Anyway, I don't share Gmac's concern for my Euro-3 diesel. There's nothing I can see on the site that suggests the UK plans to extend its LEZs beyond buses and commercials, and I have no plans to take my old car to Germany or to sell it to any Germans. What am I missing?
How long do you give the cash strapped treasury ?
They do not need LEZ in place just a simple modification to the RFL would do it. Up to 129g/km is £50 and it's £5/g over and above would do the trick.
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - CGNorwich
It might not be his finest effort but he had a bit of a down on Cologne.

He also wrote:

As I am rhymer,
And now at least a merry one,
Mr. Mum's Rudesheimer
And the church of St. Geryon
Are the two things alone
That deserve to be known
In the body and soul-stinking town of Cologne.

Not sure why he hated the place so much. Perhaps he also owned an Eu3 diesel.
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - Armel Coussine
>> Not sure why he hated the place so much.

A rough encounter with one of the hags or hideous wenches perhaps? Wouldn't be at all surprised. Or laudanum hard to get and of low quality...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 17 Jun 13 at 23:04
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - Armel Coussine
>> sub-Rupert Bear doggerel

Nothing of the sort WdB. Polemical light verse, a very different thing. Wouldn't have taken you for a philistine.
 Eu3 Cars are dead... - WillDeBeest
Tee hee, AC, and kind of you to say so - I think. I do have a bit of a blind spot for poetry, though - but I like the one that begins

Maveric Prowles had rumbling bowels
That thundered in the night.
It shook the bedrooms all around
And gave the folks a fright.

The doctor called. He was appalled
When through his stethoscope
He heard the sound of a baying hound
And the acrid smell of smoke...

Could have been in Cologne, couldn't he?
Latest Forum Posts