Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine!
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 19

Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - movilogo
www.carscoops.com/2013/06/report-next-generation-mercedes-c-class.html

Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Alanovich
I think that the received wisdom is that Renault engines are wonderful, but their electrics leave a lot to be desired. My Laguna is starting to show signs of bearing that out.........
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Old Navy
I read recently that Mercedes were going to use the Renault 1.5 DCI engine (also used by Nissan and Dacia) in the new "A" class.
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Londoner
Good move by Mercedes. Renault make some fine engines, and it will save Mercedes the cost of development.

I wonder what Renault will get in return?
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - jc2
MONEY!!!
... and what customers will get for the premium they pay for Mercs?

>> ... and what customers will get for the premium they pay for Mercs?
>>
>>

A badge that is seen as "posh" by some, You know, the ones who don't realise that most of a cars components are bought in and fitted to a wide range of vehicles across many manufactures.
Assuming 90% drivers never open bonnets, Merc thinks they can get away with it :-)

Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - TeeCee
>> Assuming 90% drivers never open bonnets, Merc thinks they can get away with it :-)
>>
>>

Oh I'm sure they'll swap the plastic cam cover for one with "Mercedes" written on it, just in case someone does open the bonnet.
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Clk Sec
If I was ever going to buy a 'premium car', a MB with a Renault engine would most likely not be on my list.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Wed 19 Jun 13 at 14:52
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - DP
Renault make the smoothest and quietest four cylinder diesel engines to ever grace a production car, in my humble opinion. Miles ahead of everyone else in terms of NVH.
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - mikeyb
>> Renault make the smoothest and quietest four cylinder diesel engines to ever grace a production
>> car, in my humble opinion. Miles ahead of everyone else in terms of NVH.
>>

I think the PSA 1.6 HDI is also a fine unit. Very refined in both my old C5 and the V60. Probably why its in so many different applications
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - jc2
Surely the 1.6 is built by Ford.
>> Surely the 1.6 is built by Ford.
>>

Its built in several plants, Dagenham being one for the Ford applications, Trémery and Douvrin for the PSA and Mini applications.

Don't know if its just down to installation but i've always thought IMO that this unit feels smoother and more refined in the PSA cars.
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Gromit
If I was ever going to buy a 'premium car', anything with a four cylinder engine would most likely not be on my list.
>> I read recently that Mercedes were going to use the Renault 1.5 DCI engine (also
>> used by Nissan and Dacia) in the new "A" class.
>>

Found it -

www.businesscar.co.uk/news/2011/new-mercedes-a-class-to-adapt-renaults-15-dci
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Zero
the 1.5dCi is a peach, comes in many states of tune. See no reason why they wouldn't want to.
BMW have been using PSA/BMW petrol engine for the last couple of years in the 1 series and the Mini.

I wonder how many mini drivers know (or care) that they could have got the same unit in alternative cars?
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Robin O'Reliant

>> I wonder how many mini drivers know (or care) that they could have got the
>> same unit in alternative cars?
>>

Mini drivers only worry about whether the fluffy dice dangling from the mirror clashes with their shoes.
 Mercedes Benz - to use Renault engine! - Alastairw
Mercedes already sell a badge engineered vehicle in the form of the Citan van, which is basically a Kangoo.

Even white van man is not immune to badge snobbery it seems.
Latest Forum Posts