Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - Falkirk Bairn
Car is coming up for 1st service.

Looked @ Honda site and their fixed cost for an AB Service is £215 inc vat etc

Former Honda sales site (service only now) emailed me today out of the blue...all parts and inc VAT = £89 and it includes a Honda stamp in the service book!

Can you beat that for a discount?

Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - Crankcase
Nice. At the last service I had the converse. Toyota fixed price service is advertised on the web at £199, with a note on screen saying this is the maximum, dealers are free to charge less. Dealers own website is a carbon copy, and £199. Price quoted on phone is £219.

A "discussion" ensues, and then it transpires they automatically put some "fuel additive" in at every service (nothing to do with any manufacturer recommendation) on every car at every service, and charge £20 for it. They don't tell you this unless you ask/argue. Most people will pay the £20 extra, I expect.

Given that they started by trying to sell me a service including spark plugs for £279, when the car isn't due for spark plugs, and denied there was a cheaper no spark plug option until I pointed out the website, the whole thing left a bad taste, especially when they have until now been excellent. They have, however, recently been taken over by some people who are clearly more hard nosed.

I'd take it to another local Toyota dealer, but they've bought them all round here now.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 21 Jun 13 at 15:16
 Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - Bill Payer
What's involved in the AB service?

For £89 they can't possibly be doing any more than an oil and filter change, plus some basic checks. It is very cheap for a stamped service though.

Which dealer is it? When Honda took away the franchise from "my" beloved dealer, they said they would carry on doing service only. Sadly they lasted about a month.
Oil and filter plus levels of fluids plus visual checks and a short testdrive.
Same as Honda spec but 126 GBP less!

Chatham Edinburgh was a dealer of 30+yrs for Honda who need a glass palace now and not a workshop and showroom!
 Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - ....
Great if it really is a Honda 1st service as specified by Honda engineers and not a local interpretation.

Can you get your hands on a Honda 1st service workshop sheet for your vehicle and confirm it is the proper 1st service and not a budget service.
Are any filters (other than oil) due at the first service for example ? Does this service centre also do warranty work ? If so, no problem, otherwise you might come unstuck with the warranty department if you're unlucky enough to require their assistance.

Go for it if it is a proper 1st service AND they do warranty work.
 Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - Robbie34
When I bought my CR-V iv gen, I took advantage of Honda's offer of five years servicing for £599.
>> When I bought my CR-V iv gen, I took advantage of Honda's offer of five
>> years servicing for £599.
>>
I paid £20.5K for a brand new CRV EX auto - admittedly the 2007-2012 model
rather than the £31K + for a new model... I could not buy a £599 service agreement but 5 x £100 services is less - if I keep the car that long.

The new Subaru Forester auto XT 240 BHP appeals!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Fri 21 Jun 13 at 17:33
>>... I could not buy a £599
>> service agreement but 5 x £100 services is less -

Well, they won't all be that cheap - but it shows how cheaply the dealers can service cars for if they want (or are forced by manufacturers) to.

We got a similar deal on daughter's Golf - £299 for 3yrs.

What amazes me is that it's transpired that the dealers get paid less than this by VW for carrying out the services. Completely contrary to everythng I'd read, I was given a copy of the first service invoice to VW - it was for £68!
 Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - Robbie34

>> >>
>> I paid £20.5K for a brand new CRV EX auto - admittedly the 2007-2012 model
>> rather than the £31K + for a new model... I could not buy a £599
>> service agreement but 5 x £100 services is less - if I keep the car
>> that long.

But if you have a problem outside of warranty, or even within, you may not get any goodwill from Honda. They have fixed problems on cars over five years old as a goodwill gesture where they have been serviced by a franchised dealer. Exhaust manifold problems on iCTDI engines spring to mind.

>> But if you have a problem outside of warranty, or even within, you may not
>> get any goodwill from Honda. They have fixed problems on cars over five years old
>> as a goodwill gesture where they have been serviced by a franchised dealer. Exhaust manifold
>> problems on iCTDI engines spring to mind.
>>

It an authorised Honda service centre, so it's exactly the same as having the car serviced by a dealer.
 Honda CR-V III - Fixed price servicing - Lygonos
Chathams are ex-Honda franchisees who are still authorised repair/service/warranty providers.

I doubt Honda would treat customers who go there any differently to fully-fledged dealerships.
>> Does this service centre also do warranty work ? If so, no problem, otherwise you might >>come unstuck with the warranty department if you're unlucky enough to require their >>assistance.

Chathams can still do Honda Warranty Repairs & Servicing - so no issues on that front!
Latest Forum Posts