Motoring Discussion > Ignoring speed limits Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 16

Ignoring speed limits - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-23006599

More than 24,000 people have broken a 50mph speed limit - six at more than 115mph - at roadworks near Bristol, in the past 17 months.
 Ignoring speed limits - WillDeBeest
Superficially appalling but without context - how many drivers were measured through that stretch? - meaningless.

[reaches for back of envelope]

Say 17 months is 500 days, or 720,000 minutes. Assume - conservatively - one vehicle per lane per minute and you have 2.2 million vehicles, of which barely 1 percent exceeded the 50 mph limit? Still shocked? Only that it's so few.
 Ignoring speed limits - Manatee
I wonder what they call speeding. Only about 20% of them seem to have paid a fine, judging by the £311,000 quoted. It doesn't add up.
 Ignoring speed limits - Armel Coussine
>> Assume - conservatively - one vehicle per lane per minute and you have 2.2 million vehicles, of which barely 1 percent exceeded the 50 mph limit? Still shocked? Only that it's so few.

Tee hee... that's telling'em WdB.

They leave those 50 signs up for days sometimes, with all the cones off the carriageways and no one doing any work on the road. It's hardly surprising that the odd eager beaver should blat through at their normal conservative cruising speed of 115mph...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 24 Jun 13 at 18:04
 Ignoring speed limits - minstrel
This is a crazy edit !
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 24 Jun 13 at 19:04
 Ignoring speed limits - Manatee
Spam alert
 Ignoring speed limits - -
>> Spam alert
>>

Cheers MT, i wasn't going to click on but i have and now i know the company i shall never use and advise everyone i know not to too, nice going Minstrel.
 Ignoring speed limits - No FM2R
Well done Minstrel, as GB says. I shall never use your company and do anything I can to make sure that if the name of your company comes up in conversation that I badmouth you..

I'm sure you're mother / boss / uncle-dad is very proud.
 Ignoring speed limits - Old Navy
Spamming this site is not a good idea, definitely counter productive.

The good news (for you) is the moderators will soon bin it.
 Ignoring speed limits - Cliff Pope
There is a massive and pointless road-straightening exercise in progress on my way to work.
For years the bends meant people drove at quite reasonable speeds, although derestricted.

Now they have cleared the whole countryside for a 2 mile stretch so it is possible to get a clear view without any obstructions. There is a blanket temporary 30 mph limit, with 3 sets of traffic lights with annoyingly long intervals when no one moves, frequently broken and permanently on red.

At commuting time there is no actual work under way, so the result is that everyone speeds through at 40 or 50, jumping the lights. White vans play games trying to knock off a few cones in passing.
All great fun. In America we'd be taking pot shots at the "Funded by the Welsh Assembly" signs for good measure.
 Ignoring speed limits - Westpig
Tenner says the ones doing more than a ton were police cars on a shout
 Ignoring speed limits - Fullchat
That was my first thought :)
 Ignoring speed limits - Armel Coussine
Tsk!

Bunch of licensed hooligans, sprauncing around making everyone envious...
 Ignoring speed limits - Westpig
>> That was my first thought :)
>>

I had this, on a smaller scale, when I was a Sergeant on a North London Borough. I don't know how I managed it, but I got stitched up to head the police representation at a public meeting for a part of the Borough that was rich and vocal.

Somewhere along the line, in the past, someone had booked via a local traffic management system (police and council) the speed monitoring black lines in the road....

...and the meeting I was at, discussed the results. There was all sorts of indignation about some of the speeds up a residential 30mph road...until I wee'd on their embers by pointing out that there was a police station at the end of that road and I wouldn't mind betting that most if not all of the higher end speed was the police cars, as it was a route they'd take to get to a fair amount of the rest of the Borough.

Ignoring speed limits - TeeCee
Funniest one I heard was an old-style, film-equipped GATSO in the Richmond area.
It was given a new reel of film one Saturday afternoon in readiness for that evening's crop of lunatics.

Anyhow, it all kicked off big-time at one of the pubs in the centre of town that night and the back-office staff were rewarded with an entire reel of pictures of jam sandwiches and black marias, all heading for the action at Warp 6 and above.
 Ignoring speed limits - Meldrew
Or on the way to Pizza Hut!
 Ignoring speed limits - Old Navy
The fastest that I have travelled in a car was in the back of a traffic car returning to base at the end of a shift from a remote location. Late at night, no traffic, very fast.

Latest Forum Posts