Motoring Discussion > Just when you think... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 20

Just when you think... - Runfer D'Hills
I used to need a big, well, big loadspace anyway car for work. Not so much these days although it still occasionally comes in handy even now.

I've still got a large estate car at the moment and was sort of thinking that as I've had roughly that nature of car with a couple of exceptions since time began, I might decide next time to go for something smaller/sportier/more nimble...dunno, a change anyway !

Then last week, I needed to take an old upright fridge freezer to the tip. Yesterday, we went mountain biking and with all the kit, the bikes on the roof, the spares in the car, the picnic etc etc, yep, filled it again. Today, I had to cut back a tree which was fouling my fence and breaking it. Too much forest to put in the garden bin so guess what, filled the estate again for another tip run. Later this year, we're off to France in the car for a holiday, and no matter how big it is, we'll fill it for sure.

Three times in one week, I've, if not needed, at least appreciated, having a large estate.

I think I'd miss not having that amount of usable room.
 Just when you think... - WillDeBeest
I know exactly what you mean, Humph. On the way to work this morning I realized that the middle rear head restraint was erect and spoiling my view. Then it occurred to me it was because the car had spent the weekend on family bus duty, taking the Beestlings and two schoolfriends to cricket training, load compartment full of bags, balls and coaching kit. Happens every Sunday, and like you we'll be filling it completely to go to France next month.

A large, well thought-out estate car does rather spoil you for anything else.
Well you know, I was parked next to some kind of Ferrari coupe thing last night ( not a 550 but something like that ) and thought cor, that's nice ! But... I guess anyone who's into cars has that "money no object" fantasy about what car or cars they'd buy if it represented loose change to them. I must be getting old because the first purchase on my garage list would be a large estate. Maybe, if not probably, a very posh and very fast large estate but a large estate for sure. Just so handy for real life.
 Just when you think... - Dutchie
Picked up the new Picasso MPV yesterday.Loads of room and comfy seats.Fitted the child seat in,' for our granddaughter she be with us on Wednesday sleeping overnight.

We needed the big boot for the missus wheelchair.The car looks nice in blue very easy to drive need more room for parking do,it's a bit longer than the Focus.

If money was no object wouldn't mind a Porsche for the weekend if only.
 Just when you think... - Londoner
>> Picked up the new Picasso MPV yesterday.Loads of room and comfy seats.
>>
Good for you, Dutchie! I hope that you enjoy it for a long time.

>> If money was no object wouldn't mind a Porsche for the weekend if only.
>>
I sometimes think that, but I'm sure that the novelty would wear off.

There is a lot to be said for a nice, practical car that helps you get on with your life.

I've managed so far in my life with mostly hatchbacks, but I'm starting to feel a tingling in my loins for another estate. (And some GBH of the earhole from Mrs L, who likes estate cars)
It's a kinda zen thing Londoner. "Awakening" I think they call it...

:-)
 Just when you think... - -
Its not Zen its a dreadful annoying practicality thing.

There happens to be currently for sale a car that would be THE perfect replacement for my ageing MB, its a well historied 04 plate C32 AMG in the best car colour ever painted, Mercedes GreenBlack, i've fallen in love with it, not the extra 150hp over my old banger you understand oh no..;), but i can't have it cos its not a van with windows.

drat and double drat...GreenBlack sigh perfection.
Ah but GB, ah but, you sorted Mrs GB out with a practical car so you're in clover really. You don't need two...

C32AMG eh ? Nice, very nice. You're spot on about the colour too...

( oh and if it's an auto you don't need to fret about stalling it either )

:-))
Message from SWMBO, SHE wishes it to be known that i am not under the thumb, so she tells me..;)...she's not amused..oops.

Seriously though i would love to buy that particular car, particularly as the icing on the cake is that colour and i can see very good condition Continental tyres and perforated discs that look like new in the close ups leading me to think its been used and maintained proper like.

The problem is we like to shoot up to Wells and other places during the week when i'm off for several hours of strolling along the beach with the half wit dog in full mad mode, if we take dog and grandaughter the saloon simply won't really do, wet dog and all that.

Would like to be able to take a fast car now and again, i used to pop up and see my late brother who lived near Hunstanton in my then Rover 827 a very enjoyable run home in the right car at night..;)

Just when you think... - Dog
>>Continental tyres and perforated discs that look like new

Could always chuck em gb, and put some decent Runways on it.

:o}
Hmm D, lets think about this now, er no.

Just when you think... - Dutchie
Thanks Londoner,there are lots of gizmo's in the car to much for me really, but it drives fine and the missus is comfortable.She picked the car it's fine by me..;)
 Just when you think... - Bromptonaut
Parallel conundrum here.

The Xantia, bought new in 2000, needs a cambelt change and 6 new hydropneumatic spheres as well as a clutch and resolution for steering/suspension knock. It's also using/losing oil. Well over £1k in anyone's money to put that right and tin worm/sommat else will probably get it before 2015 anyway.

Realistically it should be on short trips and palliative care.

A smaller car would do for station hack or other commute duties but since 2000 we've had 'interchangeable' vehicles (BX & Xant estates then Xant estate and Berlingo). That works really well, more so with two kids at Uni, hauling bikes and household stuff. The 'lingo does most of the long distance stuff but Xant still ranges as far as Sheffield on Uni collection/delivery rotations.

So what, if any, are the real savings between running an 05/130k Berlingo and swapping older car for a new Fiesta size vehicle OR replacing Xant with a newish Berlingo/Partner while relegating current 'lingo to second car?

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 24 Jun 13 at 21:06
>> older car for a new Fiesta size vehicle OR replacing Xant with a newish Berlingo/Partner
>> while relegating current 'lingo to second car?

Have you driven new shape Berly yet Bromp?, its a lovely drive gains rear discs and thank goodness doesn't gain the electric handbrake.

Would a Feesta be useful enough for you, would you enjoy the lack of rear vision without those marvellous squared off Berly mirrors?

Pity about the Xantia, there comes a time for all, not considered one of the last facelifted previous shape C5 estates?, seem to be quite well sorted certainly better than the pre facelift which had many probs.

I'm at a similar point in car time, i know full well my old MB is going to require some serious money spending on it over the next few years, i like it and in theory as its a coupe it *should* at least hold a reasonable value if not start to appreciate again if i keep it long enough, but one never knows what the govt of the day will do, or what the fickle market will decide is desirable, it could of course fall apart on me and make me mind up for me.

Whatever i decide it'll be the wrong way..;)
 Just when you think... - Cliff Pope
I've always had large cars. It's such a nice feeling riding in one, and the fore and aft pitch frequency is bound to be lower with a longer wheelbase.
I've picked up so much useful stuff on the spur of the moment I just couldn't imagine living with a small car.

I was beginning to wonder if I really needed the full-length antique dealer's roof rack, but then my daughter aquired a canadian canoe, so it's OK.
 Just when you think... - Westpig
My wife insisted on an estate when we upgraded her Pug 306 diesel estate, shortly after we met. She also insisted on diesel at a time I wouldn't have considered it.

She was right on both counts.

We wouldn't be without an estate now, too handy to have.

The next one will be the XF Sportbrake, 2.2d (200bhp version) Luxury trim, dark blue in colour, beige leather, with a sunroof....haven't planned for it...much....can't afford it for a while though :-(
Glad that you're pleased with your Citroen Dutchie, from what you've told us it sounds ideal for you.

@Bromp. Sorry about the Xantia but it sounds like it's time to move it on. If the maths stack, I'd have to say go for a newer Berlingo and keep the old one. You seem to love them and they must suit your needs. Having said that, when we had two Qashqais it did sort of feel and seem like one too many despite there being nothing to fault in either car.

And...I didn't half miss not having an estate during those few months when we didn't have one. GB's suggestion re the C5 sounds worth following up. I daren't say what I think you should really look at ! But "they" really are very good...

Just when you think... - PhilW
Bit late on this thread, but having read OP, my first thought was "get a Berlingo", which I then realised was not good advice for Humph".
I had to drive/deliver a Ferrari 458 a week or so ago and came home eulogising (sp?) about it and the first thing Mrs W said was "Yes, but could you get a fridge in the back". Sadly, I had to admit that I couldn't and thus, another dream died!!
As for the Xantia - my 2000 Exclusive is still going strong (apart from air con which I can't be bothered to get repaired/refilled because in todays climate I only need it about 2 days a year and electric sunroof suffices - if heated seats went, I'd get those done!!)
P
 Just when you think... - R.P.
A Ferrari's so cool you would never need a fridge. Tell her !
 Just when you think... - Londoner
>> A Ferrari's so cool you would never need a fridge. Tell her !
>>
Great line, RP! :-)
 Just when you think... - legacylad
Estate cars....pah...I've managed 42 months with the 330 ragtop and a 6' x 4' decent trailer. Roof down, four up (if they complain about the legroom they can get out and walk) and a trailer full of sand & cement, blocks and a mixer. Sorry officer, I clean forgot I had the trailer attached and the limit is , urm, 80ish? I wondered why I was getting surprised looks from mimsers.

Looks like an estate /5 door hatch beckons though due to oldies in the family. I was very taken by the S6 Avant V10 recently at Lake District Audi. One estate I could slum it in. Especially wearing the new RayBans.

Latest Forum Posts