Motoring Discussion > Meaning of writings on back of vehicles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 15

Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - movilogo
Can someone please explain these words at the back/front of vans/lorries etc.?

1. Circular L symbol on green background in front of lorries.
2. 60 70 80 90 100 - like speed limits on the back of continental lorries.
3. Police follow this van
4. How is my driving? dial 08xxxx xxxx

Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - TeeCee
1) No idea. Driver is both a learner and a member of Greenpeace?
2) The maximum speed in km/h that the vehicle/trailer combination is allowed to do. Just like those stickers you get to put on the back of your caravan/trailer when the towing and towed vehicle's kerbside weights permit higher speed operation than the basic maximum.
3) This van is being used as the getaway vehicle from a blag?
4) That's the number you call when the thing cuts you up / drives like a berk / spits a halfbrick at your windscreen. Someone on the other end will listen sympathetically, write everything down and then, when you hang up, call you a plonker and bin the transcript.
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - No FM2R
1) Loser
2) Similar to symbols below pilot on side of fighter plane.
3) Van uses Twitter
4) Driver oblivious
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 28 Jun 13 at 14:14
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Dutchie
Saw a van with small blue lights on the dashboard.I don't know what he was trying to prove,Me thinking only emergency vehicles are allowed blue lights on.
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - L'escargot
>> Can someone please explain these words at the back/front of vans/lorries etc.?
>>
>> 1. Circular L symbol on green background in front of lorries.

boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=361632
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Jetski
The 60, 80,100, circular signs indicate the maximum loading of illegal immigrants.
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - zippy
Using my hands free kit I called one of the numbers on the back of a lorry once to report a very inconsiderate driver who kept swerving across the road every time I tried to pass.

The phone rang for a while and was answered then clearly dropped as there were a few expletives. The lorry in front swerved across the road a bit and then I explained why I was calling.

I was greeted with a gesticulating hand out of the driver's side window followed by an old battered mobile being lobbed at my car.

:-)

(Slightly changed from a story once told by Mr Jasper Carrot!)
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Fursty Ferret
Does "Police follow this van" mean that a police car is following the van, or an instruction to a passing police officer who happens to see the sign and has nothing else to do?
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - crocks
Or is it a polite request from someone who can't spell?
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Westpig
>> Does "Police follow this van" mean that a police car is following the van, or
>> an instruction to a passing police officer who happens to see the sign and has
>> nothing else to do?
>>

Police were (are?) told to go out of their way if on some downtime and follow or park up and observe cash vans, particularly when they are loading/unloading.

I did it several times at loading/unloading times...they'd always wave and say thanks.

Not sure nowadays....too hectic in the smoke, that's for sure.
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - No FM2R
I was coming around the M42 towards the M40 when a nutter in a coach came through the traffic. In and out of the lanes like he was driving a sports car.

It had a number to call on it, so I did. I always check its a landline for exactly the above reason. Got a girl who listened and was concerned and took details.

She asked me how I was sure it was their coach, I explained that it was 18in from my rear bumper at that moment.

She asked me to hang on a minute. 20 seconds later the coach slowed up. Politely moved to Lane 1 and backed off to allow a significant gap between him and a car in front.

Lady came back on the phone and asked if everything was ok now? And promised to deal with it more permanently when he was back in the depot.

I received a letter of thanks about 3 weeks later saying disciplinary action had been taken, although it did not say what.

I was impressed.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 28 Jun 13 at 22:47
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Robin O'Reliant

>> I received a letter of thanks about 3 weeks later saying disciplinary action had been
>> taken, although it did not say what.
>>

>>
>>
"Look Bert, how many times have we told you? You need to get much closer than that if you don't want them clocking the reg number or the company name."
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - IJWS14

>> 3. Police follow this van
>>
>>

Means that the van won't stop even for a marked car, Police are asked to follow the van to a police station.

Avoids the risk of stopping for fake police.
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - SteelSpark
>> >> 3. Police follow this van

>> Means that the van won't stop even for a marked car, Police are asked to
>> follow the van to a police station.
>>
>> Avoids the risk of stopping for fake police.

No, that's not what it means. It is just to deter potential robbers, by suggesting that the van might be under police observation.

www.westmercia.police.uk/news/news-articles/follow-that-van.html

A van would still need to stop for a marked car.
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Dave_
>> A van would still need to stop for a marked csr.

When carrying easily divisible high-value loads* I've been given a laminated sign to show any roadside police officers, stating that I cannot get out of the vehicle there and then but am happy to follow them to the nearest police premises. Never had to use it.

As for "How's My Driving" signs, I follow Pat's lead. If I feel like calling tbe number in the heat of the moment I make a note and take it home with me, before deciding whether it really warrants a call in the evening. I haven't called one yet... Someone called mine once but we deduced it was malicious as the time and place didn't tie up with my tracker records - they also accused me of pulling out into traffic in front of them in a way that I absolutely would never do.

*i.e. booze and fags
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 21:22
 Meaning of writings on back of vehicles - Lygonos
Have seen similar signs on the backs of pharmacy vehicles.

These vehicles are also meant to be pulled over by the Police between certain hours where they will no be being used legitimately and are thus likely to have been stolen.
Latest Forum Posts