Motoring Discussion > DVLA Legal Questions
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 33

DVLA - Bellboy
Sick of banging my head with the dvla and their slow systems that really do slow things down trying to make a living so today again i rang again at my expense and hopefully sorted it at the 3rd attempt
i also gave website feedback but it timed out, but this time i had saved my main text so was able to cut n paste and resend it and its here below for the world to see

>>>>>>>>>>>>>you lost my v890 application attached to my v5c application for the 4th may,i didnt use a stapler to avoid injury to your staff
i rang on the 20th as the sorn confirmation hadnt arrived and was put through to automatic sorn at 10.38 am
this was still not showing 4 days later on your website as unsorned
i today rang 27 may 2010 as this vehicle still not showing as sorn
your telephone numbers are wrong on your website
you turned my call off on two occasions as i waited in a line even though you said my call was in a queue
i finally got through and was advised this vehicle was registered as sorn
i await and see if the fine now comes

not impressed of yorkshire.............

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>i just hope no one upsets me today as my blood pressure wont take it
lets just
 DVLA - Bellboy
cant believe ive posted this and its just been on bbc watchdog
everyone needs to watch this on i player if they ever use the dvla
 DVLA - Skoda
Computer says no :-( there's no arguing with them when it does say no, either.
 DVLA - Bill Payer
Write to your MP - government departments hate that. I can see that bloke being out on his ear pretty soon!
 DVLA - Harleyman
>> Write to your MP - government departments hate that. I can see that bloke being
>> out on his ear pretty soon!
>>

And much good may it do you!

Mrs. H took her bike off the road for the winter year before last, cashed in the tax. In March the following year she received a letter informing her that she hadn't put it on SORN. Turns out she'd forgotten to tick one box on the form.

Despite the intervention of our local MP, a good and conscienscious man, she still ended up forking out £40; this despite a footnote which says that DVLA have discretionary powers, and them agreeing with my MP that it was a genuine oversight on her part.

Rules of DVLA;

1) We are never wrong.

2) If in doubt, refer to Rule 1.
 DVLA - RattleandSmoke
I thought the woman in the program was a bit niave, but then again I always have to do have everything in writing when it comes to the DVLA. I don't trust them at all.
 DVLA - Bill Payer
>> I thought the woman in the program was a bit niave,

Really, she's as much to blame for not making sure her V5C was correct.
 DVLA - RattleandSmoke
But she did phone them up as soon she realised. She was niave for not chasing them up when the did not recieve the correct V5. Put this way if I had a v5 with the wrong details on I would not sleep.

To the DVLAs credit though my V5 arrived just two days after recieving the car! Very impressive.
 DVLA - Zero
The DVLA is, esentially, a computer. If you need to do anything, do it online. YOu get instant feedback and confirmation of success, (or the lack of it means failure).

The sooner they make the facility to change V5 details an online function the better.

DVLA - RattleandSmoke
I think I made a thread a few months ago when I sold my Corsa about why they can't do it online. I personaly think all DVLA stuff should be done online but then the 2% or so people that WON'T use a computer will complain.

I say WON'T because I have many customers knocking on 90' or even closer to heavens door and they can use the internet perfectly*

*they just get viruses every week.
 DVLA - madf
If anyone thinks people will get it right online when they can't fill in a form correctly, then I suggest you enter the real world.

If I were processing 20 million applications a year for licenses.. which the DVLA do - I would ensure all who get it wrong - pay for it.

Tough. Get it right first time...
 DVLA - Zero
I so live in the real world. How many times has an online form you have filled in popped back up with an error, telling you where you have missed something out, or a particular field is not accurate? Quite a few times for me.
 DVLA - madf
If you need to tick a box, and it's a Yes/No answer no program in the world can allow for that.. Of course they could change the form...

Humans make mistooks...
 DVLA - Zero
Exactly, so remove as many of them from the process as possible, do it online.

DVLA - Bromptonaut
A bad and complicated form is complicated and bad - makes no difference whether it's on paper or on screen.

Try claiming Attendance Allowance for an aged relative.
 DVLA - R.P.
All my dealings with the DVLA over the years have been fine. The vast majority of people experiences will have been the same, but due to the huge amount of stuff they process there are bound to be mistakes.

Listening to the Watchdog programme last night - in particular with respect to the motorcyclists experiences I can only sympathise with these people. The one person whose account didn't quite gel was the VW owner. She put the wrong address on the V5 when she moved - although wrong the actual address existed - she says that she phoned DVLA and that they altered the details for her over the phone without further ado - very odd.
 DVLA - Bill Payer
>> she says that she phoned DVLA
>> and that they altered the details for her over the phone without further ado -
>> very odd.
>>
I was surprised about that too - although the DVLA did seem to agree that she's done that.

As I said earlier though, it's a bit stupid not to check the details when the V5 arrives, particularly if you've ammended them over the phone.
 DVLA - R.P.
The wording the Chief Exec used was very guarded - I want to watch the programme again as my dear wife wanted to watch Corrors.
 DVLA - Bellboy
still ongoing this
its now gone to enquiry and i have to wait 21 days as dvla open an inquiry into why the system has failed me and this car
 DVLA - FotheringtonTomas
Non takez-vos "no" for an answere. Stickez-vous in le boot.
 DVLA - Brentus
Too busy to deal with your enquiry because they have to get the money paying information out from all and sundry who ask for info at £3 a go. Like private parking companies.
 DVLA - Bellboy
nobody will be accountable there thats what gets me
you ask for a name but you dont get a reference number
also remember once you have pushed button 2 then 3 then 5 then 2 you often get cut off by them

hardly a good response from a business that you have to use because there arent alternatives like orange is it
 DVLA - Brentus
This year i renewed road tax online. No problem. however on another thread i think someone said they tried and they were not on motor insurance database. hence they didnt complete renewal.

I will hold my hand up and say i haven,t looked in detail at the dvla complaints procedure. I believe it is not used much. Maybe it should be used more. I always think it is worth mentioning to your MP, it gives them casework and they have to follow up. If they don't you can raise complaint against MP. Always judge them on what they do not what they say.

Point of interest. The condem government want to remove the standards board.
 DVLA - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Try claiming Attendance Allowance for an aged relative.
>>

Easy. The woman from Age Concern did it all for my mother. She knew exactly how to fiddle it to get the maximum allowance, prompting the "correct" answers, knowing the right words to use.
 DVLA - ....
Just renewed the road tax online for our UK car :-(

Does anyone know of anybody who has won a SEAT ecomotive diesel in this great draw DVLA have every month ?

I see it ends 1st Dec. 2010.
 DVLA - Harleyman

>> Does anyone know of anybody who has won a SEAT ecomotive diesel in this great
>> draw DVLA have every month ?

I'm pretty sure that by law they're obliged to publish the winner's details, if only "Mr. R. of Stockport".

I'd be tempted to use the Freedom of Information thingy to find out, just to be a nuisance.
 DVLA - Pat
We renewed ours online on Sunday, and it's just dropped through the door.

Pat
 DVLA - R.P.
....just dropped through the door."

What the SEAT ?
 DVLA - Bromptonaut
>> I'd be tempted to use the Freedom of Information thingy to find out, just to
>> be a nuisance.

I know it's tempting to be a pain but that's not how the system works.

Somebody's job description includes dealing with Freedom of Information requests. In an org the size of DVLA there will be a whole section of them. In this much smaller organisation its just me who does it; along with loads of other stuff.

Either they will reply to your inquiry, they will tell you the information is already published or they will tell you an exemption applies. It's just part of the job and another day nearer retirement.

It doesn't get under the FOI officer's skin and it certainly doesn't bother senior management.
 DVLA - CGNorwich
"I'd be tempted to use the Freedom of Information thingy to find out, just to be a nuisance."

I'd be tempted to just look on their website, so much simpler:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_172413
 DVLA - R.P.
Ha - I was waiting for someone to spot that !
 DVLA - R.P.
Phoned them today with four problems to resolve, I navigated through a myriad of menus until I got to the person I wanted - all four issues (Retnetion question, claiming back VEL, Exported vehicle and general VE5 question) all expertly answered by the same call taker - very good service.
 DVLA - Iffy
...retention question...

Happens to men of a certain age, but you can get tablets for it.

DVLA - Bellboy
all expertly answered by the same call taker
>
>>>>>> beware the ides of swansea
in all seriousness take their names ,they will only give something like barry and record the exact time your conversation took place,all conversations and times are recorded see at swansea see so if it goes pear shaped your defence is secure
:-)
Latest Forum Posts