Motoring Discussion > Street Triple - a rider's bike. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 34

Street Triple - a rider's bike. - R.P.
Done a bare few miles on it. Restricted to 5000rpm (= 60 mph in top gear) it was a bit frustrating, but what is clear what a superb little bike this is - everything is just spot on (gear change lights apart) - all controls are precise and fall to hand or foot and are a joy to operate - There's a lot of hype around retro and heritage these days. This bike is not retro - it is bang up to the moment and a tribute to British engineering and design being able to make class leading machines. As regards the heritage, seeing the logos on its state of the art instrumentation is proof that pedigree and heritage are there in buckets - the bike gains from its association with the past - if only Meridan could have made bikes like this......

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/sets/72157634462799519/

Booked in for its first service in a fortnight can't wait for all of those 108 bhp to be unleashed...
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Runfer D'Hills
Looks great Rob, and I guess with a helmet on people won't notice that you're a wee bit old for such things...

:-)
Nah, never too old to ride......
Aye well, maybe...

www.thedailyrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/naked-old-man-rides-motorcycle.jpg

:-)
That's Ned !
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - hawkeye
>> Aye well, maybe...
>>
>> www.thedailyrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/naked-old-man-rides-motorcycle.jpg
>>
>> :-)
>>

Not much padding if he fell off ...
I've been wondering if RP meant "Ted" ?
Maybe - the photo is from a film Waking Ned - a very funny Irish film !
Oh ok !
Jolly little film if you haven't seen it. Mind you Ted's gorn quiet !
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Ted

I was listening !

Just having a word with my legal team about you two !

Ted or Ned
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - joshsalvage
Amen to that! Love cruising with the older boys. You learn from their wisdom, considering they're still alive they're doing something right.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - corax
>> Booked in for its first service in a fortnight can't wait for all of those
>> 108 bhp to be unleashed...

Not surprised you like them. They sound like a straight six.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckAeM7ccK8
Very, very smooth engine that triple - makes the GS feel like an old nail, mind you riding the GS home after the initial test ride, I have to say it must be the most complete bike ever made, it just does everything so very, very well.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - swiss tony
>> Done a bare few miles on it. Restricted to 5000rpm (= 60 mph in top gear) it was a bit frustrating,
>>
>> Booked in for its first service in a fortnight can't wait for all of those 108 bhp to be unleashed...
>>

Noo No no..... build up in stages, before giving it the max.

Whenever I run in a new bike/rebuilt engine I stick to a strict regime...
For instance, my old kawasakis, the recommendation was 4000rpm till 500miles then 6000 till 1000 miles (IIRC)
Anyway what I did, was stick to 4000 till 250mile, then short bursts 4500 till 350ish miles, etc, till I was regularly doing 6k @ 1000.... then I built up to 8k @ 1500 mile, then allowed max revs (10k) around 2000 miles.

May seem overkill, but I was asked by my local dealer what tuning I had had done, because it was the fastest of that model he had ever ridden..... (Totally standard bike!)
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Haywain
I'm never quite sure what's meant by the terms 'rider's bike' or 'driver's car'.

I used to ride a Phillips Gadabout. The Gadabout belonged to me - therefore the Gadabout was a 'rider's bike'; I didn't think it was anything special, though!
Last edited by: Haywain on Fri 5 Jul 13 at 15:39
What it means to me is a bike or car designed to be enjoyed by the driver - the325 is clearly a driver's car - maybe a 318 wouldn't be quite the same. It's that feeling that com promise has been minimized. In car terms the difference between a Picasso and any Alfa Romeo. The ST has been designed for proper riding, scratching, wazzing - where as the scooter is a heap of crap.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Haywain
"where as the scooter is a heap of crap."

'S funny - my mates used to say that as they followed me on their BSA Bantams watching lumps of glowing coke fall from the back of the exhaust.

I didn't like to point out their stupidity though - anyone who knows anything about 2-wheelers knows that the Gadabout was a moped - not a scooter ;-)

Admittedly, the Morgo-Triumph outfit that we raced at Darley Moor was considerably hotter. Presumably, that would be classed as a rider's machine?
Kwaker sold today...:-0
Now aloud to do 6000 revs = 73 mph. Getting there, taken the advice, took the long way round today to avoid the boring old A55.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - ....
That was the murderous part for me, running my bike in last year. Running in restricted to 7,000rpm. I only got up to 10,500rpm in the autumn last year, this year has been the first time I've managed to get it up near the red line.
Only now can I exploit the full performance, might get a bit pricey in tyres this year.
>> Now aloud to do 6000 revs = 73 mph. Getting there, taken the advice, took
>> the long way round today to avoid the boring old A55.

You must really need some patience to keep to the regime considering how bike engines operate. But better to suffer now and reap the benefits later :)

Nice V twin went past me with a deep bass thrum on the overrun earlier today. No idea what it was - it had an exhaust either side of the seat high up.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Nice V twin went past me with a deep bass thrum on the overrun earlier
>> today. No idea what it was - it had an exhaust either side of the
>> seat high up.
>>

Well it definately wasn't one of those American two-wheeled tractors anyway. They sound like a nail bomb going off inside a biscuit tin.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Harleyman

>> Well it definately wasn't one of those American two-wheeled tractors anyway. They sound like a
>> nail bomb going off inside a biscuit tin.
>>

To the cultured ear, a vast improvement over the Japanese wasp trapped inside same container. ;-)
The ST has a rather stupendous induction roar when you open the throttle, that triple is so sweet, with quite an impressive whiney/whistle - I took it through the A55 tunnels and I can confirm it sounds good. There is a factory fit "Arrow" "silencer" that can be specc'd - that has an altogether meatier sound to it.
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Baz
A Ducati perhaps? They usually sound pretty good!
>> A Ducati perhaps? They usually sound pretty good!

Probably. It wasn't an SV1000 that's for sure, about the only other sports V twin I know :)
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Meldrew
www.motoguzzi.com/shared/img/banner.jpg may be? they are not unknown in UK.
Just back form its 500 mile service. We knew we would only pay for the oils used, they waived the charge in view of the delivery problems experienced. Mrs RP had a very nice, but orange, Bonneville as a loan bike whilst our was being serviced. Woods of Abergele are really the business. A busy dealership with excellent customer and after sales service. If Carlsberg ran dealers.....
Update - letter in the post from Triumph needs an urgent recall for the ABS ECU - so it's booked in for attention this coming Thursday...

Took it out today (don't use the brakes much anyway !) - 7000 rpm now allowed which equates to 83 mph in 6th gear so now highly usable on duals and bendy A roads - this has transformed to bike, time to scrub off the chicken strips....good ride out. Cleared the mind a lot.
You are going to scrub the chicken strips at 83 mph? I've still got about 1cm to go on the gixxer despite corners in excess of 120mph. You must be on mini roundabouts.
Can't get near the edges in normal everyday riding, will need a track day to get over to the edges
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - Robin O'Reliant
Cut them off with a razor blade, then rough the knee sliders up with a file.
I'm not called John Terry. I don't take the credit for someone else's work nor feign some god reverence on two wheels. If I'm not up to the job then it's there for all to see.
Same here - I'll take a snap of the chicken strips tomorrow both on the GS and the ST - and I'm ready to be judged ! There are none on the Scoot !
 Street Triple - a rider's bike. - bathtub tom
>>There are none on the Scoot !

But you've had that over further than the others.

;>)
Latest Forum Posts