Motoring Discussion > Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 29

Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - VxFan

A sports car valued at around £300,000 has been put on display outside Scotland Yard after being seized by police because the driver allegedly had no insurance.

The 'glow in the dark' purple Lamborghini Aventador, rumoured to be owned by a wealthy Arab, could be sent to the crusher after it was removed from a Knightsbridge street.

Police have put the car on display outside their HQ while they consider what action to take against the driver.

tinyurl.com/ok5oej6 - www.standard.co.uk/new
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Armel Coussine
Best place for it if you ask me. Overblown piece of carp.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Haywain
Raffle it off for charity?
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Meldrew
Owner can re-claim it it if he turns up within a certain time, with valid insurance and pays the daily storage charge. Too rich to care probably.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Runfer D'Hills
There's a parking garage I use in central London quite often where there is an Aston Martin DB9 always in the same space and usually covered in dust.

According to the guys who run the car park, it was left there by its owner the day after it was newly bought ( some years ago now ). He is evidently some rich bod and the car was a birthday present from his, presumably also well heeled girlfriend, for him to use when he's in London.

Apparently he doesn't like the car but doesn't want to offend the lady so he just leaves it in the parking garage at £40 or so a day. He settles his bill monthly and occasionally gets them to wash it but otherwise it never moves. Fewer than 10 miles on the clock they say.

How the other ( insert whatever fraction you please ) live eh?
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Falkirk Bairn
Not quite a Lambo or Aston - a few years back I parked daily in Glassford St NCP Glasgow everyday. Noticed a newish Astra get covered with dust and grit for weeks then months. NCP employees shrugged their shoulders and said they thought the owner lived locally and walked everywhere rather than drive.

I phoned the BiB suggesting it may be stolen, this was about 10 am........picking up my car at 5pm the car was gone. Never did find out what the problem was - I thought I might have got a thank you letter from the owner/insurance company or whoever re-possessed the car but alas, nothing.
>> a parking garage I use in central London quite often where there is an Aston Martin DB9 always in the same space and usually covered in dust.

Knightsbridge? Hyde Park? In one such garage, off Sloane Street, as well as a few neglected expensive limos there was a forties/fifties Plymouth V8 with the raised, strengthened suspension and garish, label-covered paint job of a Carrera Panamericana hopeful, which it had certainly been in the recent past - still had red mud on it and must have been shipped in like that.

Why wasn't the owner driving about in it though? Perhaps he hadn't researched the price of petrol here.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - diddy1234
I wish I could park my Rio next to it, id double the value of my car overnight !
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Old Navy
There must be exotic cars stashed away in places all over central London that most people will be totally unaware of. For several years I had the use of a space in a big private underground car park under Bryanston Square with access by remote controlled gates. There were all sorts of cars in there, many apparently unused (or rarely used) some with Arabic plates. They certainly made my Eurobox look very average. I can remember walking back to the exit and totting up the value of the cars I passed (a fraction of the park contents) and gave up after a couple of million quid. There must be many similar car parks in the area.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 4 Jul 13 at 16:51
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Duncan
Some years ago, the garage I/my company used in Brewer street had several cars in the expensive, but covered in dust state.

The employees there just shrugged their shoulders. As long as they paid, who cares?
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - movilogo
Even though we speak about equal opportunity, world is never equal. Some have too much some have too little (which is not always down to how hard one works or how intelligent he/she is).
Poland St. AC ( 'andy for Carnaby St innit? )
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - mikeyb
My boss has an old friend coming to visit in his new Aston. He was telling me its the only trip out of London it gets, and he hardly uses it the rest of the time as he goes around on a Boris bike. Still changes it for a new one every couple of years though
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Ted

I used to go down to Manchester Airport for breakdowns and medical repatriation jobs.

There were usually a couple of cars on each floor in the multi storey which were covered in dust with flat tyres.

Nothing too exotic, a couple of Landcrabs, the odd MGB, many just everyday cars.

I often wondered what the story was.

Ted
I used to work for a very large company which at that time had a lot of sales reps. Over 70 of them in fact at the time. One young guy went on holiday and didn't come back, he wasn't harmed in any way and in fact was discovered some years later working in a bar in the Greek islands having opted out of the rat race on a whim and stayed in the sun.

Thing is though, daft as it sounds, but bear in mind the fact that there was no such thing as email or mobile phones then, and indeed people worked far more independently than they do now, he wasn't missed for about 6 weeks. The dilemma for the company was compounded by the fact that he'd left no letter of resignation, he'd shared a rented flat with some other guys who claimed they hadn't heard from him for weeks and his company car was no where to be found.

Eventually, after, I want to remember anyway, some several months of trying to track him and the car it was discovered in the long term car park at Gatwick having racked up an enormous parking bill.

>> after, I want to remember anyway, some several months of trying to track him and the car it was discovered in the long term car park at Gatwick having racked up an enormous parking bill.

Perhaps he had it in for the firm in some way. If he didn't, it was bad form not to drop a card saying where the car was. But people are often half-witted like that.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Gromit
Those were probably abandoned by backpacker types heading home to Auz/US/Canada. Used to get a share of similar abandoned stuff in Shannon and Dublin airports most summers - often old camper vans.

More recently it's been bust property developers leaving their soon-to-be-repo'd Mercs behind as they skip the country, but that's another story...
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Old Navy
In the 1960s we trained the crews for the submarines we sold to Australia, The Aussies were very well paid by our standards and on their return to Australia some real bargain cars were available. :-)
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - bathtub tom
Didn't the Indonesian tsunami create numerous abandoned vehicles.

Many drivers, indeed whole families, didn't return.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - BobbyG
When Morrisons took over Safeway, and made huge number of head office redundancies, the story doing the rounds was that the fleet company, whose name escapes me, had to pick up cars from all sorts of places where they had been left abandoned.
Assume this must have been staff with short service and nothing to lose!
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Dave_
>> There were usually a couple of cars on each floor in the multi storey which were covered in dust with flat tyres.

Same thing when I used to frequent Heathrow in the noughties. I assumed they stayed put because you couldn't get a recovery truck into the multi-storey (too high) to drag them out.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - TeeCee
Reminds me of an old joke.

A well-dressed bloke runs into a bank in New York and asks to borrow 20,000 dollars urgently for two weeks. When asked what assurance he can offer that they'll get the money back, he replies; "I have my new Rolls-Royce outside. You can keep that as collateral until I repay the loan.".
The bank OKs the two week loan, with 100 dollars added on at repayment in interest and charges.

After he's left, the manager spots that the chap has an account with them that has a current balance of 500,000 dollars and another 8 million on deposit.

Two weeks later, he's back to repay the money and collect his Royce. The manager calls him over and asks why, given his balance, he needed to borrow the 20,000?
"Ah", he says, "how else could I park a Rolls-Royce in New York for two weeks for only 100 dollars?".
Yeah I know it's a tenuous link but I can't ever remember not smiling at this...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR7RYKPJBdo
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - rtj70
Not quite the same as BobbyG's example, but someone at work with 9 points on the licence got caught speeding. He drove to court in the company car! I think they even must have seen him and it counted against him for sure :-) Someone had to retrieve it.

When I got done for speeding in 1998 I took the train just in case when I went to court.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Westpig
>> Police have put the car on display outside their HQ while they consider what action
>> to take against the driver.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/ok5oej6 - www.standard.co.uk/new
>>
Shoddy journalism.

A £300,000 car isn't going to be crushed, is it?

Then there's the bit at the end of the article, where it says 'Arab money talks' and implies the London Police jumped to the tune of someone's cheque book.....it wholly fails to point out that anyone can do that.

They go to the pound, pay their tow away fee and storage fees, show the car has current insurance..and off they go. It's the inconvenience factor amongst other things.
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - Boxsterboy
It seems mad to crushable valuable car like that in these so-called austere times. Why not sell it and add the money to the public purse?
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - rtj70
But no valuable car is ever crushed. Anything with value is sold. Assuming the owner does not pay up.

Although looking at this car... it deserves to be crushed. :-) It needs respraying. Probably a plastic wrap that just needs removing.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 6 Jul 13 at 23:57
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - ....
Counter productive if they did crush it.

It throws the whole environmental question out the window when they can justify crushing a car because the owner did not comply with some rule or other.

It does not matter one jot whether it's a £20 banger or a £300,000 super car, elements of the environment have been consumed to produce the object under question and willful destruction just proves the whole environment thing is rubbish.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 01:23
 Lamborghini - Aventador - Destined for the crusher - VxFan
I read somewhere yesterday that the owner has claimed his car back, but I can't seem to find a news report online about it.

I have however found a clip of the car being put onto a low loader last week.

www.autoevolution.com/news/watch-the-police-seize-nasser-al-thanis-lamborghini-aventador-in-london-video-62296.html

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 01:00
 Lamborghini - Aventador - for the crusher not this one - - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24574068

The car was taken by police and as the owner failed to come forward, it was sold at auction for £218,000.
Latest Forum Posts