Motoring Discussion > Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Gromit Replies: 26

Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Gromit
This year's Gromit clan French excursion will be the above round trip.

ViaMichelin shows 3 alternatives for Cherbourg to Limoges: via A10 fastest at 6 hours, Cherbourg-Rennes-Niort then across to Limoges second, or else cut down from Rennes towards Poitiers. The latter two are tied at around 7 1/2 hours each.

As we're arriving July 16th, would the Forum have any suggestions on a preferred route? For example, is Le Mans (or any approaches to Paris) to be avoided? The back seat passengers are 2 & 5 so we need to plan on plenty stops along the way!

Next leg to Vannes will be 3rd August. No choice here on the date due to availability of accomodation. Is this likely to get us stuck in a crawling traffic jam similar to the infamous rentrée? We're not averse to travelling across country on secondary routes with a large scale Michelin map and current sat nav - I'd sooner be moving than stop-start on the autoroute listening to "are we nearly there yet?" :-)

Final stage is Vannes-Cherbourg late morning on the 7th. I'm assuming this should be ok, being mid week. Am I wrong?

Transport, incidentally, will be the Legacy auto which has taken all previous such tours in its stride, on everything from 10 hour motorway runs to forestry tracks, laden with bike carrier, roofbox etc. Which reminds me: does anyone know what's the going rate for 95 octane in the supermarket filling stations at the moment?
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Mike Hannon
In my experience ViaMichelin is not to be totally relied upon. Why it should route you via Rennes for Limoges is a bit of a mystery. The Cherbourg, Caen, Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers route is now all dual carriageway and autoroute. It's just a slog but simple if you don't mind the tolls. Watch out for speed traps on the N147 south of Poitiers. Any other route will be more scenic but will take a lot longer! If you have any ideas you can bounce them off me - I live north-west of Limoges and have explored many options of the Cherbourg run over the years.
Limoges-Vannes (I love the Gulf of Morbihan!) is best done via Niort and Nantes I reckon but I would be tempted to go right to the coast and cross the Loire on the big bridge (free) at St Nazaire, where you can look down on the cruise liners being built in the shipyards. It's a remarkable view.
Your travel periods shouldn't present any significant problems. Shame you have to miss the Bastille Day celebrations though. The Limoges fireworks are amazing!
Petrol is now slightly dearer in France than in UK, I understand. Supermarket 95 (with which I have never had problems, unlike my Uk experience) is now around 1.54 euro, or about 1.38 pounds if you use a UK card. Ordinary filling stations are much dearer.
Bon voyage - the weather is said to be improving at long last!
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Mapmaker
It's France, there won't be any traffic; other than round big towns at rush hour. (Except Paris, and days that the Crafty Bison says will be dreadful. Primarily the first two Saturdays in August.) These rules have been true for fifty years.

www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/en/IMG/pdf/Calendrier_BF2013_EN.pdf

It can never be worth doing a 7.5 hour route rather than a 6 hour route. Excedpt that, if you like France, you can avoid all main roads, and just use the white ones on the Michelin map and it won't take you *that* much longer than a busy motorway - and you'll never see another car.

Limoges to Vannes on 3rd August will probably be fine; it's not that far anyway. You're not going in a logical away-from-Paris direction which is where the trouble is.

>>Limoges to Vannes on 3rd August will probably be fine; it's not that far anyway.<<

I must be getting old. It's about the same as Taunton to York, in my memory. Five hours minimum I reckon, although not stressful.
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Mapmaker
Google reckons 4h 45. But it's just a nice gentle drive; you're doing only an average 92 kph; you've got aircon; the scenery's great. Leave at 9 when they kick you out, an hour for lunch under a tree somewhere, at the new place just in time to check in at 3. Perfect!

Taunton to York on 3rd August might take you a week...

Or are my glasses rose tinted?!
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - PhilW
Mike H has it pretty spot on.
Other suggestion might be to cut off at Tours, go down to Chateauroux via Loches and join A20 to Limoges earlier. (6 hours 3 mins according to Google)This mirrors the N147 bit that MH mentions. A20 is toll free (until south of Brive) and very quiet! Mrs W takes great delight in looking ahead and then in mirror and proclaiming "we have our own private motorway!!"
Think you may be surprised at how quiet French roads can be compared to UK! We returned from South of Brive a few weeks ago and had to go past a few roadworks - and weren't held up at all - a few stretches at 110 kmh but nothing like a queue. And, knowing the French, they will have all roadworks finished before "holiday rush".
I may well be "teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs" here but with regard to frequent rest stops, the French motorway rest stops are incomparable to ours. Loads of parking, loads of grassy picnic areas with tables and often exercise areas and playgrounds for kids. And they don't double the price of coffee and baguettes (though fuel is much cheaper at supermarkets - so look out for "Centre Commercial" signed off motorways).
And, Grandma, (!) good time to travel is at "lunchtime" - that's from about 11am to 3 pm when all the French stop for lunch and are not on the road! And, weekends are very truck free because they are not allowed on roads unless carrying fresh or refrigerated produce.
Hope I have not been stating the obvious which you already know!
Enjoy trip
P
Many thanks for all the suggestions!

Bosom Futé has Saturday 3rd marked as black (worst traffic) so the cross-country option to southern Brittany with a picnic lunch in the coolbox appeals.
"Saturday 3rd marked as black (worst traffic)"
Yeah but.......
unless you are on one of main routes Paris to coast you will prob find that traffic is relatively light compared to England.
There are a few black spots where you could be held up for a few minutes but, despite often travelling in France on "black" days we have rarely had a problem.
Their black days are nothing like every day on M6, M1, M62, M60, M25, M23 etc. They just mean it's a bit busy but traffic usually flows smoothly.
They also seem to ensure that there are no roadworks blocking lanes at these times.
No doubt someone will correct me!
Nevertheless "cross-country option to southern Brittany with a picnic lunch in the coolbox appeals." sounds nice!
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Robbie34
The D943 from Tours to Chateauroux can be a pain. I used to do it regularly, and was always held up by heavy goods vehicles in convoy, and few chances to overtake. However, it's about the best route to Limoges, and that section of the A20 is toll free.

Depending on what time of the day you are travelling, there is an Intermarché where you can top up with fuel and get some provisions.
Or you could leave the A10 at Chatellerault and take the D-road quiet route via La Roche Posay, Leblanc, Le Dorat and Bellac, then the N147 to Limoges. But I don't want to complicate things.
The only problem with what Bison Fute says are the busiest days will be the autoroute peage (toll) stations. You really do see miles of queues on some summer Saturdays, especially heading south.
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Jacks
>> The only problem with what Bison Fute says are the busiest days will be the
>> autoroute peage (toll) stations. You really do see miles of queues on some summer Saturdays,
>> especially heading south.
>>

Agreed - when travelling at peak times I usually take the exit before the toll plaza and do the last bit on N/D roads and rejoin the autoroute as necessary.

I have just returned from a break in Provence and noticed the queues seem to be getting worse at the tolls generally - possibly due to the fact that a lot of the previously manned toll kiosks have gone over to automated machines taking cash (or cards) and people seem to be taking a long time to process their transactions - longer than it was with the cashier taking the money.

I broke my usual rule (above) returning on the Saturday morning at Aix-en-Provence (not expecting a queue in early June) and ended up queuing for about an hour at the tolls! Complete chaos with people leaving their position in the line - driving past the queue and blatantly pushing in without "permission" as it were, lots of horns/shouting/etc.
Last edited by: Jacks on Mon 8 Jul 13 at 13:34
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Alanovich
I've just ordered a tag from Sanef, so that I can cruise through the tolls stations and pay by direct debit from my bank account.

The wife doesn't know this is possible for UK residents, so I'm going to scare her (a bit) by heading through the "t" lanes on Saturday. Little pleasures and all that. Can't wait to zoom by the sweating masses. Can't understand why everyone doesn't do it, then again if everyone did I'd be gaining nothing.
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - Bromptonaut
>> I've just ordered a tag from Sanef, so that I can cruise through the tolls

Thanks for the 'hedzup' on that A. I've ordered one ready for my trip in a fortnight's time.
>> I've just ordered a tag from Sanef, so that I can cruise through the tolls

Mine arrived yesterday along with instructions and adhesive tab for windscreen. Looks simple enough.
>> Mine arrived yesterday along with instructions and adhesive tab for windscreen. Looks simple enough.

Worked a treat today. The only Tp lane at Gare d'Herquelinque west of Boulogne was height limited so barred to berlingo + roofbox but as soon as we approached the unrestricted ticket barrier we got the 'beep' and up went the barrier!

More or less same exiting at Rouen and again joining at Orleans.

Now in BB hotel in Limoges well fed at the Hippo Grill. On to Carcasonne demain. for a few nights in the Rigidome.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 25 Jul 13 at 20:27
 Route advice: Cherbourg-Limoges-Vannes-Cherbourg - sherlock47
The ultimate test is the 30k lanes, designed to allow nonstop passage. Once you get up to 30mph it really does become an act of faith.

PS make sure you read the instructions = do not keep the transponder next to a mobile phone. It will flatten the transponder battery!

PPS do not leave it in the windscreen mounted holster when the vehicle is unattended.
>>Now in BB hotel in Limoges well fed at the Hippo Grill<<

We stayed over in Limoges last night and drove past the Hippo Grill on the way in. Fancy that.
I found the thing (tag) of limited practical benefit, sadly. A couple of peage barriers were negotiated more speedily than they would have been without, but we suffered two large delays due to queues which were so large they backed up for miles before the barrier. The tag makes no difference in this situation, you queue with all the other berks. The primary benefit was to Mrs A who was delighted not to have to do the credit card manoeuvre at every barrier.

One stretch which was a particular delight on Saturday just gone, was from St Ouen de Breuil to St Saens on the A29, a 14 Km stretch of peage, which was simply a 14 km queue taking 2.5 hours simply to pay for the privilege of having to sit on the motorway for 2.5 hours queueing. The biblical thunderstorm/hailstorm which we were treated to halfway was marvellous though.

We had been planning on taking the A28 out of Rouen, but were advised by diversion signs that we should take roads due north towards Dieppe and pick up the A29 to carry on towards Calais. Presumably due to some closure/roadworks I thought. So we dutifully followed the diversion, and I suppose the ensuing jam was created by all the A28 traffic diverting and combining with those already on the A29. We were 3 hours behind schedule on arriving at the tunnel, but happily they allowed us on the next available train without extra charge.
>> I found the thing (tag) of limited practical benefit, sadly. A couple of peage barriers
>> were negotiated more speedily than they would have been without,

I'm surprised at that. I've had a tag for about ten years now and it has been a godsend. I have never encountered long queues in the dedicated telépeage lanes. These are usually to the extreme left of the booths.
>> I'm surprised at that. I've had a tag for about ten years now and it
>> has been a godsend. I have never encountered long queues in the dedicated telépeage lanes.
>> These are usually to the extreme left of the booths.
>>

Yes, that's right. I always headed for the dedicated lane to the left. But if the queue for the toll plaza starts 14km back, you can't get to the dedicated lane until you've queued the 14km with everyone else. The benefit, once you reach the plaza, is only a few minutes in that scenario. And it happened to us twice on our trip in the last two weeks.

The other thing I noted is that people WITHOUT tags also queue up for the telepeage lane, then try to budge in to the other booths to the right at the last minute. Telepeage queue moves quicker, you see, so they get in that and hold up the telepeage users to obtain a few minutes gain for themselves. Two particular offenders, a green 306 and a silver Meriva will live in my memory. Swines. They were most melodiously tootled by myself and others, not that I imagine selfish morons like that give a monkey's. Probably revel in the attention.

I suppose my delays and problems were due to travelling at a peak time though, a Saturday afternoon at the start of French holiday season.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 16:35
>> I found the thing (tag) of limited practical benefit, sadly. A couple of peage barriers
>> were negotiated more speedily than they would have been without, but we suffered two large
>> delays due to queues which were so large they backed up for miles before the
>> barrier.

Been luckier than Al, probably because we travelled midweek. The 30kph non-stop lanes were a revelation after previous years queing for manned kiosk in a vehicle that was over height for the 2m or less 'CB' dedicated lanes. Others though had all lanes shared and we had to queue with rest but for less than a minute.

Only delay was in Rouen where a bridge was closed and a short section further S where N154 and N12 combine for a few k.

Planning to go down to Spain tomorrow. Bit of Autoroute round Perpignan then coast road to Roses for lunch and back via Figueras/La Junquera. Stayed in Llanca a couple of times as a kid so an element of nostalgia in play.

The slog back north to la manche is over weekend of 10/11 Aug so may be busier.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 30 Jul 13 at 11:04

>> Only delay was in Rouen where a bridge was closed

This was the cause of our biggest hold up. We followed diversion signs for Calais-bound traffic on approaching Rouen from the South West, up the A150/A151 then on the the A29, which is where we hit the queue. If we'd known of the shocking queues on the A29, I'd have diverted to one of the minor bridges in Rouen. Hey ho. Can't win 'em all.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, Bromps. I drove to that bit of Spain last year.
"The D943 from Tours to Chateauroux can be a pain. I used to do it regularly, and was always held up by heavy goods vehicles in convoy, and few chances to overtake. However, it's about the best route to Limoges, and that section of the A20 is toll free.
Depending on what time of the day you are travelling, there is an Intermarché where you can top up with fuel and get some provisions."

Must admit I'm not too familiar with D943 - only done it a couple of times and it was pretty traffic free (might have been weekends when trucks not on road?)
If same Intermarche you mention, think it is at J16 on A20 - but, don't rely on TomTom - it takes you to completely wrong end of Chateauroux!! It is open Sunday mornings though for provisions (unlike most French Supermarches) and fuel station takes credit/bank cards 24 hrs per day - much cheaper than motorway stops.
The Intermarché is on the D943, not far from Loches.
I was wrong in so many ways! The Intermarche I was thinking about is off J17 of A20 at Argenton sur Creuse!!
Stage 1 of journey went without a hitch, ended up taking Mike's last suggested route as Garmin was very eager to stick to shortest distance (if there's a shortest route using primary roads option, I haven't found it yet!)

Total journey time approx 10 hours due to frequent stops on account of back seat passengers! Lots of trucks on autoroutes as mentioned, but little elephant racing so they were easily passed. Also worth checking if you can use E10 petrol: it's €1.50 a litre in supermarket filling stations vs €1.53 for 95 octane. First time a fill has been cheaper than at home!

Many thanks to all for the route suggestions and tips!
 Route advice - A86 Round Paris Autoroute - Bromptonaut
It ain't no M25.

Today's plan was simple. Take A20, A71 and A10 towards Paris, use N118 and A86 'super-peripherique' to A15 then A150 and N184 to start of A16 at L'Isle Adam for an overnight in Amiens

There was just one flaw in the plan....

Several sections of the A86 are height restricted to 2 metres. The Berlingo with her roofbox is 2.3m.

Fortunately Sunday traffic was light and swift re-planning identified an alternative on A13, and N roads via St Germain en Laye to the N184 over Foret St Germain picking up the Francillienne after crossing A15.

Michelin 101 - Banlieue de Paris does not show the height restriction.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 11 Aug 13 at 20:32
Latest Forum Posts