Motoring Discussion > Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 7

Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. - Ian (Cape Town)
I've had the Clio on test this week. 900cc turbo.
Cracking little car, and I can't fault it.

Unfortunately... I had to write this today.

Firstly, my profound apologies.
What happened - I turned into a road I know, but haven't travelled on for a while. Due to construction work, they've narrowed the roadway, and there are no streetlights, and I was simply going too quickly, and kerbed the car, scraping both wheels on the driver's side, I over-corrected, crossed over the roadway, and did exactly the same on the other side. Result - FOUR gouged alloys.
Totally my fault, and I am to blame for not paying attention, and going too fast. It was a big wake-up call, and I can only say again how bad I feel about it, and apologise for the inconvenience to everyone involved.

5000km on the clock.

My thoughts 'rhyme with clucking bell', as Blackadder said.

Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. - Runfer D'Hills
I met a friend at the valet parking booth at one of the Heathrow terminals the other day. He has just recently had a new car. Valet parker bloke said "Morning Mr B, new car eh? - Very nice" he then went on to condition check it before taking it away and added "You've not let Mrs B drive this yet have you Sir? The wheels aren't scuffed yet !"
 Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. - PhilW
Could you be charged for it Ian? When we deliver demo cars they have to be signed off in "condition". If there is more damage on return it is noted and expensive damage can be charged for - the odd chip doesn't matter but 4 knackered alloys might cost you!!
Hope not!!
PS. Some alloys seem to be designed to be damaged - skinny little tyres, no protective band on tyres (doesn't help much anyway) etc. I once slightly scuffed a Porsche wheel while parking it in dealers, confessed to dealer it was me, and he told me the wheels were about £1000 each. Gave him my name, address, telephone number, credit card number etc (didn't want my boss to find out!!). But never heard anything!! Lucky escape!!
So easy to do.
Good luck!
 Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. - Kevin
>..he told me the wheels were about £1000 each.

Were they the hollow spoke wheels?

They were an option on the 944 Turbo S when I had mine and supposedly gave a more compliant ride for the same wheel diameter.

"Were they the hollow spoke wheels?"

Not a clue!!!
Seem to remember it was a 997 Turbo or maybe a 4S. They were nice wheels though! (Until I set about near side front in a delicate manner!!)
 Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Could you be charged for it Ian?

If need be, I shall have to.

My bad, hands up.

If it an excess on insurance to pay.
 Yep, I really screwed the pooch here. - TeeCee
I'd have taken it to a wheel refurbishers a bit smartish.
Should be under 100 quid a corner, which is a lot cheaper than the wheels and probably cheaper than the insurance excess (if covered at all).

They'd never be any the wiser.....
Latest Forum Posts