Motoring Discussion > Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 37

Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Falkirk Bairn
Driving too slowly - Greater manchester Police - assaulted, thrown into cells, fingers broken....

4 years later he receives undisclosed damages.

tinyurl.com/kw8wedp

What would he have got if he had been speeding?

Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Meldrew
Very little about the way this country is "run" surprises me any more.
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - FocalPoint
Why on earth did it need a seven-day trial to establish what happened? Because the police were unwilling to even begin to consider they might have got it wrong?
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Westpig
Deep yawn.

Bloke stopped driving for (insert offence) gets stroppy and won't do as he's told...eventually gets nicked and as he's already not doing as he's told, continues in that manner and ends up getting manhandled, etc.

Goes to court...and he gets off. Happens.

Next.

Oh, one after thought...why would the tactical support unit get called in if this fine upstanding fellow was wholly behaving himself? Maybe the officer dealing had called for some assistance?...and why would he/she do that?
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Armel Coussine
>> (insert offence)

I agree that 'driving too slowly' is a grave offence, although not everyone would.

>> gets stroppy and won't do as he's told

By his account, he was dawdling while waiting for his wife to catch up. There was nothing in the report about him getting stroppy. But I must say from my own experience that being 'told' to do this or that by 12-year-old coppers can be extremely annoying, and often seems to be meant to be annoying, in the hope of provoking a strop justifying a bust. It's the training by wicked old sergeants.

The tactical support unit was nearby for some other reason, not called in to deal with the miscreant. But as so often, the newspaper item is so thin - telegraphic as it were - that you don't really feel you understand what happened.

My jury is still out on this one.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 16 Jul 13 at 20:26
>> >> (insert offence)
>>
>> I agree that 'driving too slowly' is a grave offence, although not everyone would.
>>
>> >> gets stroppy and won't do as he's told

The original 'offence' could be almost anything. That's your 'starter for ten'. If it's Mr Average doing nothing wrong, you move on to someone else. If however Mr Average gives you a mouthful of abuse and is decidedly unhelpful (or worse)..then you delve deeper. Is he hiding something and using the loud tactic to get you to back off..or is he just like that. Either way you'll delve deeper...and quite often it escalates, a battle of wills etc...only one that i'd hope most tax paying folk would wish their police not to back down on.

>>
>> By his account, he was dawdling while waiting for his wife to catch up. There
>> was nothing in the report about him getting stroppy.

Why was there a hoo-hah then? Did the Old Bill just pick on him for fun? Rough him up and arrest him, just for driving slowly? Does that not stretch credulity somewhat?

>> The tactical support unit was nearby for some other reason, not called in to deal
>> with the miscreant.

They would have been nearby and called in when help was needed. Even if they drove past, why stop for a normal traffic stop being dealt with adequately by other cops?

>> My jury is still out on this one.

Mine isn't, seen it hundreds of times before. It's amazing what a pained look a local newspaper reporter/photographer can achieve for his rag...and how someone's yarn can be so radically different from reality.
>> >> My jury is still out on this one.

>> Mine isn't, seen it hundreds of times before.

I believe you Wp, really. Just playing devil's advocate, and even the devil is entitled to one...

As for getting away with stuff, what about that Zimmerman? He could have punched himself in the face a couple of times to 'prove' that the boy he murdered 'took the first swing'. His lawyer could have told him to do it.

I can't understand how he was found not guilty. The jury of six women seems to have been wimpish to a degree.
>> I can't understand how he was found not guilty.

I can.

There's a real problem with some young black men, who indulge in serious crime and are prone to severe violence. That's not to say that white men, Hispanic men or any other type of men don't, but there's a significant minority from the black community who consistently step up to the plate.

The population at large fears this and doesn't like it.

Mr Keen Neighbourhood Watch (only being America he has a gun) intervenes when he sees a young black male he doesn't recognise traipsing through his gated community...and the rest is history....an innocent young man walking back from the sweet shop lies dead.

It will sadly happen again..and again...unless the bigger picture is looked at and dealt with.

Most politicians don't dare because it is a political hot potato.

If you are on that jury, do you think "Cripes, this bloke was trying to look after his community and got it wrong...this time....."?...or " hot headed over reacting vigilante". Clearly they thought the former.
>> trying to look after his community and got it wrong...this time....."?...or " hot headed over reacting vigilante".

He called in and said he was following the young guy, and was told repeatedly to leave him alone and back off. Instead he followed and confronted him before murdering him.

Now, why did the police tell him to leave the guy alone? Probably because they knew what he was like.
>> He called in and said he was following the young guy, and was told repeatedly
>> to leave him alone and back off. Instead he followed and confronted him before murdering
>> him.
>>
>> Now, why did the police tell him to leave the guy alone?

Normal practice. "Leave it to us sir, far too dangerous/complicated for you to deal, we're the experts"....etc.

Probably because they
>> knew what he was like.

Possible, but fairly unlikely. Control rooms are usually an enormous distance from where it happens..and you spend half your time explaining to someone who doesn't even know where the place is, let alone who the players are.
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Bromptonaut
>
>> There's a real problem with some young black men, who indulge in serious crime and
>> are prone to severe violence. That's not to say that white men, Hispanic men or
>> any other type of men don't, but there's a significant minority from the black community
>> who consistently step up to the plate.
>

A massive assumption based on race. But not racist, oh no.

The problem is with some young men, irrespective of colour. It tends to be worse if they're people in groups excluded from wider benefits of society - like urban blacks in big US cities.
>> A massive assumption based on race. But not racist, oh no.

It's not a mere assumption. It's an absolute fact. Just one that most pretend isn't there, it's on the 'too difficult pile'.

Trouble is the the population at large don't like it, stereotypical values are enhanced, those from that community (the majority) who are not anti-social or criminal are discriminated against/treated as second class citizens... and on the whole merry-go-round goes.

The circle needs to be broken...and that will entail unpalatable truths coming to the forefront, education (for both sides), support from those communities to disassociate themselves from the bad 'uns..and then maybe some forward movement can have some benefits.

I don't see it happening soon, sadly.
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Zero
>> >> A massive assumption based on race. But not racist, oh no.
>>
>> It's not a mere assumption. It's an absolute fact. Just one that most pretend isn't
>> there, it's on the 'too difficult pile'.

Lets run back in time a while. Policemen having aggro, often violent with Mods, Rockers, football hooligans, CND, miners, etc etc Predominantly all white fellas. After stuff like that, did a copper go into an average pull, or stop and search thinking "Its another b***** white fella, bound to be aggro" with the resulting attitude and body language (albeit subconsciously) that inflames that person, Mostly not (there are however exceptions - explain later)

Does your average copper, in pulling over a black kid for any reason, go into the pull with a subconscious "this is going to be trouble" attitude? Fraid to say they do. Does this attitude self perpetuate the problem? Fraid it does.

You may deny it, but how do I know? I was discriminated against by the ole bill as a kid. 19 years old, almost brand new white capri. I got pulled nearly every time I went out. Every copper assumed I had nicked it, and every copper treated me like a teal leaf till I could prove otherwise. It happened day in day out. Did I get resentful? yes, did I get hostile to the coppers? yes, was it a fraught and hostile experience for both of us? yes. Was there an element of being deliberately intimidated by the old bill? oh yes - you know that when the SAME copper pulls you three times in a week with the same "just checking its not stolen" pathetic excuse. Of course the hostility gets worse from both sides and becomes even more self perpetuating.

The black kids are not trouble because they are black, they are trouble because they have seen discrimination today and historically, and the police self perpetuate that problem. Stop and search? if they stopped and searched as many white kids, they would end up with just as much blow and knives. Black kids are not prepared to put up with the same sheet their parents did, and frankly I don't blame them.
>> The black kids are not trouble because they are black, they are trouble because they
>> have seen discrimination today and historically, and the police self perpetuate that problem. Stop and
>> search? if they stopped and searched as many white kids, they would end up with
>> just as much blow and knives. Black kids are not prepared to put up with
>> the same sheet their parents did, and frankly I don't blame them.
>>

One of Miss B's Uni tutors is of West Indian heritage. Pretty much same academic career history as his white colleagues. Now a senior lecturer in mid thirties.

He asked his group of white students how often they'd been stopped by police. No hands went up.

He's in ten stops either in town or driving.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:41
>> Does your average copper, in pulling over a black kid for any reason, go into
>> the pull with a subconscious "this is going to be trouble" attitude? Fraid to say
>> they do. Does this attitude self perpetuate the problem? Fraid it does.

...and now from another angle.

I left the Westcountry at 17, joined the police cadets in London, then at 18.5 became a Constable. I was posted to Westminster. So there I was, nearly 19 and strolling around our capital.

I knew absolutely zilch of racial difficulties as my part of the country simply didn't have anyone in it from anywhere else (hasn't got much now either) and apart from a month's stay in the police nursing home at Hendon (cartilage op) at the same time as some with injuries from Brixton, I had no reason to think other than straight down the line.

If you were to accept my assertion that I am the sort of person to give someone a break and speak as I find..then there should be no difficulty, should there...only, there was.

In that era and with my service, I was chased by my managers for work returns...and some of that was traffic stuff (one part of that is to show you have the confidence to challenge people)...so off I go to Vauxhall Bridge Road, stand up at the end of the bus lane and anyone contravening it goes in the book...I need the figures.

So after the 15th or so car I've stopped...and a huge percentage of which were the same ethnicity and a great deal of whom either 'performed' or at the very least were verbal and stated 'i'd only stopped them because...etc'...I thought to myself, damned cheek, i've only stopped them because they're whizzing down the bus lane. That principle all those years ago, still held at the end of my service.

I can give plenty of other examples. It obviously is not confined to any one part of society, as it is human nature to try to get away with something if you can...e.g. disabled badge abuse, i'd hazard a guess that's more a white issue. The trouble is, it's a chicken and egg conundrum, if the cop is waiting for the next performance, that will probably show in his/her body language...... nicely aided by the next performance.

Over and above the paid public servant who is expected to be professional...respect has to go both ways...and if one of you is paid by the public purse to enforce laws, then they should get on with and do it..and if anyone else has 'issues' then so be it, because some perform to get away with things.
Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 12:33
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Cliff Pope

>> That's not to say that white men, Hispanic men or
>> any other type of men don't, but there's a significant minority from the black community
>> who consistently step up to the plate.
>>

So the "significant minority of black men" is a larger significant minority than the presumably significant minority of white men who do the same?

Just how big does a "significant minority" have to be before you would call it "a lot", or perhaps even "an insignificant majority".

What, precisely, in police jargon, makes a minority "significant"?
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - TeeCee
>> I can't understand how he was found not guilty.
>>

That's very simple.
Originally the prosecution decided there was very little chance of a conviction as there was effectively no case. There it lay until the Court of Public Opinion fuelled by the protestations of the race industry decided that Something Had To Be Done, the politicians got involved and forced a trial.

Once the ball was rolling, a slight snag appeared, as the hysterical press coverage of "white racist bigot shoots angelic black lad" actually turned out to be "bloke from ethic minority A shoots bloke from ethnic minority B in scuffle". This, with no witnesses, leaves a defence of, er, self defence as impossible to disprove beyond reasonable doubt, especially as the forensic evidence backed the defendant's account of events.
Somewhat unsurprisingly he was then aquitted proving the original opinion of the prosecutors, who had the facts and actually knew what they were talking about, correct.

Presumably they'll now keep trying him for various things until they get the "right" verdict. Who was it who was accused of "vigilante justice" again?
Its just a case of failing the attitude test, very very badly indeed.
>> Deep yawn.
>>
>> Bloke stopped driving for (insert offence) gets stroppy and won't do as he's told...eventually gets
>> nicked and as he's already not doing as he's told, continues in that manner and
>> ends up getting manhandled, etc.
>>
>> Goes to court...and he gets off. Happens.
>>
>> Next.
>>
>> Oh, one after thought...why would the tactical support unit get called in if this fine
>> upstanding fellow was wholly behaving himself? Maybe the officer dealing had called for some assistance?...and
>> why would he/she do that?

There was no driving offence. He may have got stroppy, we don't know. OTOH maybe GMP's tactical support guys were up for a bundle. Their used to be guys in the Met* like that. Remember Red Lion Square and, later, Blair Peach?

The tactical support unit were there because of an adjacent demo. The arrested didn't go to court and get off, he was released without charge after around 3 hours. The case this week was a trial before, somewhat unusually, a jury in the County Court. The issue was liability for damages as a result of his arrest.

Suspicion is that he was mentally categorized as olive skinned and one of the demonstrators or trouble in any event.

*The half dozen Met guys, mostly bikers, supervising tonight's cyclists' demo were excellent. Courteous, carefully liaising with the LCC organisers/stewards and keeping us and the motor traffic out of each other's hair. Mind you, a third of a shift watching the totty that was part of the ride would have been a plum posting.

>> There was no driving offence.

There doesn't need to be. You are looking at why something is out of the ordinary..in this case driving slowly. When stopped, if he'd come out with a satisfactory explanation i.e. driving slowly for my wife to catch up (something we've all done)..then he'd have been on his way and we wouldn't be talking about it. Come out all stroppy and all guns blazing...and the rest was history.

He may have got stroppy, we don't know. OTOH maybe
>> GMP's tactical support guys were up for a bundle. Their used to be guys in
>> the Met* like that. Remember Red Lion Square and, later, Blair Peach?

For goodness sake.

A, how old is that stuff? It was before my time, I've been out for 18 months and was employed fro 31 years.

B, It was a full scale riot. Things happen in full scale riots, it's the nature of the beast. Do you want your riot cops pussy footing about..or..kicking backsides?

>> The tactical support unit were there because of an adjacent demo. The arrested didn't go
>> to court and get off, he was released without charge after around 3 hours. The
>> case this week was a trial before, somewhat unusually, a jury in the County Court.
>> The issue was liability for damages as a result of his arrest.

Yes..that happens. Minor offence, carted off to the nick. Matey cools down, not worth prosecuting, he gets released again....then he wants compensation. It's the modern way.

>> Suspicion is that he was mentally categorized as olive skinned and one of the demonstrators
>> or trouble in any event.

Maybe, maybe not, you or I do not know, it is somewhat speculative. If he was, why not respond sensibly and politely, most do.
>>
>> *The half dozen Met guys, mostly bikers, supervising tonight's cyclists' demo were excellent. Courteous, carefully
>> liaising with the LCC organisers/stewards and keeping us and the motor traffic out of each
>> other's hair.

You sound surprised. Expecting a truncheon over your head?
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - zippy
Of course the police never do anything wrong:

tinyurl.com/q2k8p2t

(Daily Mail article)
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Mike Hannon
>>It's amazing what a pained look a local newspaper reporter/photographer can achieve for his rag...and how someone's yarn can be so radically different from reality.<<

I worked for many newspapers and I was never, ever told to 'bend' the truth. Then I went to work for the police...

As for 'rag' - well we can all belittle each other's calling, can't we?
After I had been working for the police for a while I met an old pal in my real trade. He said 'Still working for the Filth then son?'
I chucked it in and got my self respect back.
>> I worked for many newspapers and I was never, ever told to 'bend' the truth.
>> Then I went to work for the police...
>>
>> As for 'rag' - well we can all belittle each other's calling, can't we?
>> After I had been working for the police for a while I met an old
>> pal in my real trade. He said 'Still working for the Filth then son?'
>> I chucked it in and got my self respect back.
>>

Bit touchy Mr Hannon?

I'm not necessarily talking about journalists bending the truth, just making the picture 'look right' and reporting what the punter says, which might not be accurate.

In the mid 90's I got myself involved in some road rage, when neanderthal man in a van hit my car and when we stopped he was exceptionally aggressive and threatened to 'rip my head off and defecate down the hole'. I thought it was all going to end in fisticuffs and found it to be one of the rare occasions my police warrant card came in handy.

I reported the damage to my insurance company...and they asked me if I'd be willing to be interviewed/photographed for a campaign they were doing on road rage..so I said 'yes'.

Next thing you know, I'm outside my house being photographed next to my car...and being coached because I kept smiling and looked too happy...they wanted 'serious' and 'hard done by'.

That's all. No criticism of the beer swilling, fag smoking old hack...just the chancing punter who's spun a yarn.

Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Mike Hannon
I expect you're right about touchy. Sorry about that.
I was a bit upset about selling the old Prelude a few days ago and I haven't been right since.
It'll wear off...
>> For goodness sake.
>>
>> A, how old is that stuff? It was before my time, I've been out for
>> 18 months and was employed fro 31 years.
>>
>> B, It was a full scale riot. Things happen in full scale riots, it's the
>> nature of the beast. Do you want your riot cops pussy footing about..or..kicking backsides?

If coppers see their role as 'kicking backsides' then that's part of the trouble. The Met may have cleaned itself up in that regard. Attraction of TSG to those with a liking for a bundle remains and I'm not convinced all forces are on top of it.

>> You sound surprised. Expecting a truncheon over your head?

No of course not but there's history with Met and cycling activists, particularly over Critical Mass and ham fisted attempts to treat it like a demo. Pleasantly surprised that they, for example, made requests to avoid obstruction of street during form up via the stewards instead of just shouting.
>> If coppers see their role as 'kicking backsides' then that's part of the trouble.

There are times when you DO want Police to be firm and if that means 'hands on' or as my phrase put it 'kicking backsides' then 'yes' that is needed. There are other times of course when it is not.

IMO there's become a real problem precisely because some modern police officers ARE afraid to get stuck in.It weakens the function.

>> The
>> Met may have cleaned itself up in that regard. Attraction of TSG to those with
>> a liking for a bundle remains and I'm not convinced all forces are on top
>> of it.

You don't want the meek and mild in TSG, surely? Have a think about what they are there for, they are a riot squad, they have shields and batons and armoured protective gear...you know for when it all kicks off.
>> You don't want the meek and mild in TSG, surely? Have a think about what they are there for, they are a riot squad, they have shields and batons and armoured protective gear...you know for when it all kicks off.

To be quite fair and objective Wp the TSG have been known to kick it off themselves. I've seen them do it. On the other hand I have also seen police under attack from rioters who were certainly begging for a dose of tear gas and the SPG running at them with rubber batons like the French.

What I have noticed very consistently is extremely variable command structure in crowd control situations, which is often little short of half-witted. I attribute this to political interference - both national and local - on a fundamental level and a measure of villainy in the upper reaches of the police themselves. Command of a volatile street situation from a distant senior officer looking at screens can't possibly work, and can be mischievous and dangerous.

Of course you want your most physical officers assigned to the most physically demanding tasks

But when you lump your most gung ho officers together in teams and stuff them together In fleets of vans they get really gung ho and elitist and they also get very bored very quickly

I have been on the other end of the TSG twice, once was justified and one wasn't and they started agro just for the buzz. The met lost complete control of some of the TSG units
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - Manatee
The Army has the ultimate requirement for tough workforce.

Good soldiers are well trained, well disciplined, and well led. I wonder which of those has been most problematic for the TSG.
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - midlifecrisis
A significant proportion of TSG, Firearms etc are ex-Forces. Kind of knocks you're argument on the head.
>> A significant proportion of TSG, Firearms etc are ex-Forces. Kind of knocks you're argument on
>> the head.

And there have never been rogue army units?

Problem is the met command did not know how to lead and control a paramilitary type unit. I doubt any of the upper command then or now went to Sandhurst.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 15:58
>> Problem is the met command did not know how to lead and control a paramilitary
>> type unit. I doubt any of the upper command then or now went to Sandhurst.
>>
The Police have their own Sandhurst, it's called Bramshill. I don't see the point of having senior police officers going to a military college?
>> >> Problem is the met command did not know how to lead and control a
>> paramilitary
>> >> type unit. I doubt any of the upper command then or now went to
>> Sandhurst.
>> >>
>> The Police have their own Sandhurst, it's called Bramshill. I don't see the point of
>> having senior police officers going to a military college?

It wasn't a suggestion, merely an response to the specific military angle thrown in. Bramshill didn't equip the officer corp with the skills to control the SPG tho did they. ( I made a mistake earlier in referring to the TSG, when I meant the SPG).
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - midlifecrisis
'Journalists' making stuff up. Nah! That never happens does it.

Assuming you ignore every story in the Daily Mail. Let's consider the hysterical headline in the Wail about a bunch of cows escaping into a street and nasty, armed Police turning up and 'gunning them down' in front of 'terrified' kids from a local school. Except the cows were humanely dispatched by vets in a field, there were no kids and there were no Police. Total fabrication.

Recently in the Sun, a 'journalist' wrote a highly offensive and totally fabricated piece which included comments of how Police Officers are ' massacring members of the public by killing them with their patrol cars while pretending to answer 999 calls'.

I've read many a story about incidents I've been to and they bear absolutely no relation to what actually happened.

After 20 years in the job, my self respect is just fine. The pendulum has very much swung way past what is should be and Officers are always guilty to proven innocent. Suggestions that gangs of Officers are conspiring to 'fit up' people are just ludicrous. But that kind of truth doesn't sell comics to the gullible. I've been subject of a complaint from 3 'fine, upstanding members of the community'. All because they didn't get their own way at an incident. The allegations they made against me were very serious and at best could have cost me my job. Fortunately, someone made a video of the encounter and when they read the allegations in the local paper (which were all presented as fact) they produced it to our complaints department. It showed their version of events to be a complete pack of lies. Despite having signed statements stating everything they said was true (which has legal implications), absolutely NOTHING happened to them. It's in peoples interest to make false and malicious allegations. Nothing happens, but it can muddy the waters and if the press get involved, well their lies suddenly become fact.

As for the case in Florida. Much of what I've read in this thread has been taken from those very same papers. Some might actually want to find out the facts. They might also want to consider the who the people are whose existence and livelihood depends on whipping up the hysteria that surrounds the case.
>> As for the case in Florida. Much of what I've read in this thread has been taken from those very same papers. Some might actually want to find out the facts. They might also want to consider the who the people are whose existence and livelihood depends on whipping up the hysteria that surrounds the case.

TeeCee also seems to believe that a jury of six women in South Florida, three of them friendly towards the accused from the start and the other three apparently easily persuaded, was legally correct to swallow the accused's cock and bull story and (to his apparent amazement) allow him to walk. Who was that football player and actor who cut two people's throats in public and was also acquitted? A lot of people were confused by that too.

'The facts' indeed. Tchah!

'Better that a thousand guilty men should be acquitted than a single innocent man be found guilty', or words to that effect. But they find innocent men guilty from time to time, and top them too.
I don't mean to advocate lynch law. It's good that there's a proper legal process which is followed as it were to the letter.

Perhaps it's inherent in the adversarial trial system that sometimes there will be spectacular miscarriages of justice. But one doesn't have to like it, or feel much esteem for the people involved.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 23:57
This is my kind of style

news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68784000/jpg/_68784982_loyalistprotestorblownawaybypsniwatercannon2.jpg
 Father of 3 assaulted by Police - driving too slow - MD
AND why did I have all bar the ruddy helicopter thrown at me cos a plastic pig thought (quite incorrectly) that I had been drinking and driving erratically (altering speed) through 30 50 40 60 30 40 30 50 MPH signs. It beggars belief. Subsequent info from a retired gentleman of the force in question has confirmed that the pcso in question becomes a complete and utter pratt when he dresses up. Quite worrying really.
Latest Forum Posts