Motoring Discussion > Need 8 Seats Buying / Selling
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 19

Need 8 Seats - mikeyb
Due to changing circumstances we find ourselves needing a vehicle with 8 seats (and decent boot space would be useful for camping) to replace Mrs B's Sharan

8 Seaters are fairly limited in choice so the current options on the table are:-

Hyundai i800 - sensible choice due to the long warranty, but I really hate the dash. Discount through work makes a new one look a bargain, but I cant say I've warmed to it.

VW T5 Transporter Shuttle - our preferred choice as with a nice set of alloys they look OK, or as OK as an 8 seat people mover can, and almost ever so slightly cool (rather than I've given up) however are pricey. Mrs B would prefer the long wheelbase version, but I think it may be to long causing issues with parking

MB Vitto - not really looked to much at these but guess they should be on the list.

C8 / 807 with a 3 seat bench in the back - budget choice, however not convinced about the reliability plus would need to be an older one as they have not been available for a bit. Small boot so may be a compromise to far, but still on the list for the time being.

Any other options I've missed / should consider? Pros and Cons of the above?

Need 8 Seats - Zero
The VW. Nice to drive and reliable. I know of a T5 thats done 128k miles, the only failure being a DMF, and then VW fixed it for free even tho it was out of warranty.

Need 8 Seats - Ted

The VeeWee all day long...cracking to drive.. My mate had an ex AA one with the passenger seats and van behind. Towed his caravan as well.

Ted
 Need 8 Seats - Zero
Dont forget these.

Vauxhall Vivaro (ok its a Renault, but they seem to be reliable in van form)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305096664982
 Need 8 Seats - ....
Transit is available upto 9 seats.
Just think of it as a big FWD Mondeo estate and imagine how many shoe boxes it would take to fill even with the seats left in.
 Need 8 Seats - BobbyG
My brother in law asked me for advice tonight on this very subject so I will watch this thread with interest!!
 Need 8 Seats - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 16 Jul 13 at 23:53
 Need 8 Seats - Tigger
The 'baby' Toyota landcruiser has 8 seats, though leg room is very tight in the third row
 Need 8 Seats - ToMoCo
The T5 is fantastic if you can afford it.

I have a 2005 vivaro (just van) and it's the Most unreliable pos ever. I have heard tho that newer vivaro/traffic vans are miles better.
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Wed 17 Jul 13 at 07:11
 Need 8 Seats - Boxsterboy
Another vote for the T5. My daily driver is a 6-seat swb T5 Kombi with a massive boot and 127,000 on the clock. We had a lwb T5 camper, and so I know that for daily driving the swb is a better bet (tighter turning circle, shorter than many cars) and still has a good boot with all 8 seats in place.

We also had a (7-seat) C8 which was far more reliable than some people would think. Very small boot with all seats in place, though.

I looked at the i800 (well the price drew my attention) but the main problem is the inflexible seating arrangement. If Hyundai sorted this they could sell loads.

The early Vitos had serious rust issues, and being rwd they are not as roomy inside (although may be roomy enough for you).
 Need 8 Seats - legacylad
When I was 'in trade' I ran a succession of VW Transporters for some 20 years. I only bought different marques twice, and the MB Vito lasted only a few months before being returned to the main dealer as being not fit for purpose.
If you can afford it get a T5.
When you come to sell, they soon go privately.
 Need 8 Seats - helicopter
Can you still get the Peugot Expert Tepee.....??
 Need 8 Seats - Falkirk Bairn
Motorpoint were doing Ford Transit based 9 seaters for £13K + VAT with 4/5,000 miles (or less) on the clock. They had 4 last week but there will undoubtedly be more buses coming along anyday.

Call it £16,000- with the savings on the cost of an MB go and buy a "normal car/estate" - low mileage Mondeo/Focus ? for when the 8/9 passenger seats are not required.

I know it is running 2 x vehicles but I am sure it will cost a lot less than running a luxo barge MPV costing up to £40K.
 Need 8 Seats - BobbyG
My BIL has a Doblo and Aygo - I suggested just buying a towing bar and that would give him 7/9 seats!!
 Need 8 Seats - mikeyb
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. The T5 is so far our favourite, however the i800 is still a second choice. The i800 is saved by price and long warranty - if it wasn't for those 2 factors then I would have dismissed it.

T5 is expensive - a 2/3 year old one is still around the same price as a new i800 but the residuals appear to be very strong so I can justify the additional cost if its still going to be worth something in a few years

I've joined the T4 forum and there appears to be some good guys over there who know a thing or 2 about these. Not really found any horror stories which is also good
Last edited by: mikeyb on Thu 18 Jul 13 at 22:15
 Need 8 Seats - BobbyG
Silly question but what is a T5 - when I try searches on Autotrader I see Caravelles and Combis and Transporters but no T5's....
 Need 8 Seats - Zero
The T5 is the Transporter range. Short wheel base, Long Wheel base, combi etc.

The 5 is the model number, ie older range before was 4, one after will be 6. The 5 has been going a good number of years (since 2003), and is the one most commonly seen tho it looks like a 4 in many ways (1990-2003)
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 18 Jul 13 at 23:16
 Need 8 Seats - borasport
Well I can't agree the T5 looks good on a set of alloys - it just looks like another T5 on alloys, but I must agree about the i800 dashboard, you'd have to poke your own eyes out before spending any time with it.
From an original design by Fisher Price, colour consultancy by the guy who did the ''Realistic'range for Tandy', I think
 Need 8 Seats - mikeyb
>> Well I can't agree the T5 looks good on a set of alloys - it
>> just looks like another T5 on alloys,

Haha - I guess what I meant was that it looks better than any other van on steel wheels!

If I get a nice looking one then I might be "daddy cool" rather than the bloke who's given up on life!
 Need 8 Seats - borasport
I have to be careful what I say as one of my nearest and dearest is a through and through Combi freak, they had one as a wedding car and run around in an ex AA T series, 4 at a guess
I guess I have a jaundiced view as there is always one obstructing the car park entrance at work, he has to park nose out but has solid rear doors and always ends up a yard away from the wall and his nose sticking out. White van, metallic black alloys, very low profile tyres, seriously tinted side windows and chrome side bars, probably cost a bob or two but it wouldn't be my choice
Latest Forum Posts