Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query Buying / Selling
Thread Author: belucky22 Replies: 16

Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - belucky22
I am new to site and beginning with a request for advice re Mercedes B Class diesel tip CVT 2008 with 35,000 miles on the clock. First query is when is a new dpf likely to be needed ? Is doing short drives actually harmful to a diesel or does it just not clean dpf ? How reliable is the auto transmission and any comments about use ?

Also interested in Hyundai i20 petrol automatic 2013, 3,000 miles on clock. What is the auto like on these ? How good are Hyundai ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - Zero
>> I am new to site and beginning with a request for advice re Mercedes B
>> Class diesel tip CVT 2008 with 35,000 miles on the clock. First query is when
>> is a new dpf likely to be needed ? Is doing short drives actually harmful
>> to a diesel or does it just not clean dpf ? How reliable is the
>> auto transmission and any comments about use ?

Short drives will mean there is a likelyhood of suffering DPF problems at a later date. They may be expensive to fix. However if i were you, I would drive one first. The Diesel B class with CVT is a horrid beast constantly droning in your ear all the time. See if you can live with the noise first.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - Bigtee
Short drives it won't get hot enough to regen properly, you would be better off with a petrol.

Or you may need to take the diesel for a long fast run to get it to blow out.
Thanks for this. Although I would prefer a petrol I've been told that diesels are better for automatics, particularly CVT. Is this true ?
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - Manatee
>> Thanks for this. Although I would prefer a petrol I've been told that diesels are
>> better for automatics, particularly CVT. Is this true ?

I don't see why that should be the case, though low powered petrol autos can be slow.

In fact a CVT or double clutch auto might fare better in durability terms with the lower torque of a petrol.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - Manatee
>> Is doing short drives actually harmful to a diesel

I tend to assume it's not the short drives that are harmful, so much as the absence of decent runs in between.

DPF problems can be a serious pain. Friend and ex-colleague has a 2007/8 ish Nissan Cashcow 2.0 dci that is not happy when her daughter is off school and the morning run is reduced from 15 miles to 8 or so. After a few days the light comes on and she has (according to the dealer) to drive it for half an hour at 50mph or more. Not easy in the tea time traffic on the M1 just north of the M25.

Several times it has been to the dealer for a forced regen, cost £100. Recently it required a new DPF, total cost c. £1000.
Thanks you for these helpful replies. Any recommendations for petrol autos around 3-5 years old ? Looking for something like A or B class and the Volvo s40 appeals but road tax seems phenomenal. My priorities are safety, comfort and reliability. Smaller or medium sized cars preferred. Suggestions gratefully received.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - madf
Post Jan 2012 Honda Jazz CVT is nice..(NOT an I Shift)

I have one. Not expensive and cheap s/h.. Buy with remainder of 5 year maintenance package most new buyers were sold (a great deal)
Last edited by: madf on Sat 20 Jul 13 at 13:56
Thanks madf. I'll put it on my shortlist ( I'm hoping to have about 5 to consider ) and then see what deals I can get. I'm hoping with new reg shortly there will be some good buys.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - Boxsterboy
Another vote to AVOID the B class Mercedes with the CVT. Sis-in-law has one. It's horrid. In fact every CVT I've driven is horrid. Better to find a conventional auto IMHO. Of course, the OP might find a CVT acceptable, some people do.
Thanks. I really don't want something that's only acceptable. I would like a car I will really enjoy driving. Hearing from people who have experience of the car over a period of time is invaluable. However, long and good the test drive it's not quite the same. The variety of descriptions for automatic makes my head spin. Which cars, up to 4/5 years old have conventional auto ? Within a price range for ordinary people !
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - ....
Fact is, for the age range you are looking at, most diesels will have the hateful DPF bodge.

My wife and I have been lucky, my wife has been driving two DPF equipped cars over short distances with no problem but there are lots of stories of woe on various forums to the contrary. I have an Euro III equipped car which does not have the exhaust from hell bolted on.

Low mileage, go petrol, much as I hate to recommend petrol for anything other than lawn mowers and weekend toys such as motorbikes and track cars. Add weight where real work is to be done and petrol is a poor imitation.

B-class diesel with a CVT gearbox is not a car you would recommend to anyone. It really should have a Massey Ferguson badge on it but Massey Ferguson wanted nothing to do with it.
Thanks - it seems conclusive to avoid B-class diesel with CVT. The car will never have a lot of weight to carry. Are Hyundai autos a good option ?
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - ....
>>Are Hyundai autos a good option ?
This is where I have to back out, I have no experience of Korean or any far east cars.
There are a few on here who sing the praises of such machinery, over to them...
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 20 Jul 13 at 21:36
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - TeeCee
>> Are Hyundai autos a good option ?
>>

Many autos from that part of the world are still old skool slushboxes (torque converter auto) and fairly bulletproof. Also they tend to schedule regular fluid changes rather than, idiotically, saying they're "sealed for life" as a sop to the European fleet market.

If what you're looking at ticks both those boxes, you should have no issues.
Thanks very much. Late acknowledgement because I've been on holiday. I'll test drive next week.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Mercedes B class auto and dpf query - mikeyb
given your want of premium badge / quality how about Audi A3 or Golf to add to your list. I assume that there will be quite a few options available with the dsg box
Latest Forum Posts