Motoring Discussion > need help SORN Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: ap Replies: 29

need help SORN - ap
Hi
Got home yesterday and received a sorn for my car that I didn't do it.
My car is ensure, pay tax disc before expiry, what should I do??
Many thanks
 need help SORN - Zero
Phone the DVLA, the number is on the letter you got.
 need help SORN - ap
Thanks, I have done that, they said only Monday the sistem was off.
Just need it some answers, that help me how to solve this mess that I didn't do it.
Thanks
 need help SORN - Zero
It can wait till monday.
 need help SORN - ap
Yes inded. My question is if I should make a claim, or just go to dvla pay another tax disc and continue driving my car after that, or make a complaint and get into more problems?
Thanks
 need help SORN - R.P.
If you're taxed, Insured and MoT'd you're ok.
 need help SORN - rtj70
But if you've SORN's a car it's not taxed is it? But only the registered keeper should be able to declare SORN.

Question to the original poster... does your car still have it's tax disc?
 need help SORN - ap
Yes. I have went to dvla to pay tax before expiry, like normally do, pay for it at 25 of June, and the tax only expired on the end of June the 31. Yesterday got home and receive sorn letter for my car, but I didn't sorn it erol. I drive it every day. Don't understand what happened. Still, what should I do? I'm concerned and worry. Thanks for all the help
 need help SORN - Ted

You also need to declare SORN if your car is not insured. The form you get from the DVLA just before your car needs taxing invites you to either declare SORN or re-tax the car. Is this the letter you refer to ?

If you have valid insurance together with a valid tax disc then SORN doesn't affect you at all and you have proof to refute any claim by the DVLA.

MOT ( if needed ) doesn't come within the SORN system......yet!

Ring or email them on Monday.

Ted
 need help SORN - ap
Thanks
 need help SORN - rtj70
>> Still, what should I do? I'm concerned and worry.

Speak to DVLA... that's your best option on Monday.
 need help SORN - ap
Thanks
 need help SORN - ap
Thanks
 need help SORN - Kevin
Do I smell a troll?

Mmm, yes I think I do.
 need help SORN - Armel Coussine
I simply don't understand what the OP is saying or asking.

Am I dumb and ignorant, or merely literate?
 need help SORN - ap
Well I think I was quite clear.

Pay for my tax on time. Got a sorn letter for my car that I never ask for.
Wanted some help for what should I do next. Answers, not sarcastic replys that doesnt help erol. Only disturbs.
Don't need that kind of help. Thanks
 need help SORN - Armel Coussine
Sorry ap. Perhaps I sounded snooty. But I really didn't understand what you wanted.

Your car is legal. You get a redundant unrequested sorn notice.

Phone the number if you want, but anyway just bin the notice. No problem.
 need help SORN - ap
Not a notice. A acknowledged, saying that my car was sorn since 01 of July.
Thanks for your answer.

I have everything right, tax, insurance,mot and I drive my car every day. Never ask for my car to be sorn. Ever! Don't understand what happened.
Thanks
 need help SORN - No FM2R
>>Don't understand what happened.

Me neither, I can't imagine it was a communication problem.
 need help SORN - swiss tony
>> >>Don't understand what happened.
>>
>> Me neither, I can't imagine it was a communication problem.
>>

Naw, the DVLA never have communication problems...
 need help SORN - Zero
WOOOOSH - there goes the irony - a zillion miles over his head..........
 need help SORN - Slidingpillar
If the OPs car had been cloned - I can see this happening. But as plenty of people have said, ring DVLC on Monday. Only way you'll get to the bottom of this.
 need help SORN - Cliff Pope
It's hard to get a grasp on what is happening here, but it seems to me that the OP has re-taxed his car but has then had the usual SORN/Tax reminder generated automatically previously.
I've had such reminders on cars I've already taxed or notified as scrapped, also a new red V5 for a scrapped car. DVLA functions aren't linked up - one section goes on churning out documents and reminders even after another section has processed a different notification.

But Tax always trumps SORN. You don't have to cancel SORN - tax automatically over-rides it.
 need help SORN - jc2
And SORN is free!
 need help SORN - Bromptonaut
Suspect the OP's first language is not English!!

As I understand he has taxed his car correctly and has a disc but has also received a notice confirming SORN for it.

Only way to get to bottom of problem is to ring DVLA on Monday. And without intending to sound rude it might be worth having someone with more fluent English review the documentation and assist on the call.
 need help SORN - R.P.
ap, I really wouldn't worry - if all three docs are in place it will be OK ANPR wise - if a copper sees the SORN warning on his little machine the valid tax will over-ride it. Phone DVLA on Monday.
 need help SORN - ap
Many thanks to all of you.
 need help SORN - ap
THIS WHAT HAPPENED:

Went recently to DVLA to road tax my car for another 1year and apply for an uk driving licence. All perfect, MOT, insurance, tax renewed in due time. Unexpectedly received a (1year length) SORN acknowledgement letter but NEVER requested one. How to sort out this? Who's responsible?
 need help SORN - Zero
AP, I will say this only once, (well twice actually)

Nothing you can do now, ONLY, I repeat ONLY (just to make sure you get this) ONLY the DVLA can sort this out for you. We cant help, we cant fix it, there is nothing we can do, ONLY THE DVLA can sort it out.

Phone them on Monday and get it sorted by phone.
 need help SORN - ap
Thanks
Latest Forum Posts