Motoring Discussion > Foot operated "handbrake" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Foot operated "handbrake" - BobbyG
On holiday in the USA, I had a hired Hyundai Tucsan (ix35), it was auto, petrol and had a foot operated "handbrake".

I remember hearing of these in old Mercs and how much of a pain they were but I thought it was great! Freed up space in the centre console and was easy to use to put on/off.

Not sure how it would go with a hill start (though being auto it might have some sort of hold system) and you obviously wouldn't be able to do handbrake turns but all in, I thought it worked well especially linked to an automatic.

My sister's Toyota and B-I-Ls older Hyundai had them as well, think they are very popuilar over there!

So why do we not have them here? Why does Hyundai not fit it to the Euro spec ix35 automatic?

There will be many more motoring observations from USA coming up so you have been warned......
 Foot operated "handbrake" - L'escargot
>> Freed up space in the centre console ........

The best handbrake lever position I've come across was in my 1967 Hillman Hunter. The lever was on the right hand side of the driver's seat. It not only freed up space in the centre but it also meant you could operate the handbrake with the right hand whilst simultaneously operating the gear lever with the left hand. Starting off from rest was a much less clumsy manoeuvre than having to use the left hand for the gear lever and handbrake in sequence.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - -
Agreed, i like foot operated parking brakes, but prefer the MB version where the foot only applies pressure whilst release is via a pull handle, we have a push on push off version on the Oultlander, again an auto, and whilst it works well, if you stop on a steeper incline than you thought you can't just increase pressure by pushing further down if not quite enough, you have to release then reapply.

The push on push off system i would not like with a manual or automated manual satan box.

I've driven a few vehicles with handbrakes mounted between seat and drivers door, Many modern vans have them, but if pulled up tight and you jump in sharpish between passing traffic for example you can get a nasty prod from the thing in the nethers, had that a few times when cavorting at all angles to get in new Pug Boxer vans on the lorry only to end up with a handbrake up me rs for me trouble.

I drove a few Hunters as mentioned by L'es and i really liked them, underrated car of its time.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 10:03
 Foot operated "handbrake" - movilogo
>> The lever was on the right hand side of the driver's seat

Hindustan Ambassador had it on right too :-)

I thought the reason for having handbrake in center position is to assist passenger to stop the car if driver becomes incapacited.

Placing handbrake anywhere else defeats the purpose.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - Bill Payer
>> On holiday in the USA, I had a hired Hyundai Tucsan (ix35), it was auto,
>> petrol and had a foot operated "handbrake".
>>

I don't think they use handbrakes much in the US - they're not even called handbrakes, they refer to it as the emergency brake. I can't remember ever getting into a hire car in the US (I go a couple of times a year) and finding the brake applied. Hill starts must be a nightmare for Americans coming to Europe and hiring manual's!

I have one the foot operated brake in my MB and don't generally use it either. I'm usually befuddled for a moment when it's been in for servicing and the garage always apply it!
 Foot operated "handbrake" - sooty123
All the cars I've driven out in the US have had the same set up. Foot operated both on and off using the same pedal. I don't think I've ever seen a handbrake in the states. The foot on hand operated lever off system is quite popular in asia. I've driven a few with that set up easier as they always came with manual g/box for things like hill starts. You have more feel with the lever rather than the foot pedal for off.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - retgwte
Rather like column gear shift, and "objects in rear view mirror are closer than they appear", its all part of life in the USA.

High proportion of autos here are driven by people with dodgy left knee or similar, so I dont think they would be popular on autos here, and in a manual they are downright dangerous.

I agree that the Merc setup is better with hand release.

Handbrake on the outside is probably a no no thesedays as in a crash that handbrake lever is going to get squashed into your side.

I like the default UK setup best.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - L'escargot
>> I don't think they use handbrakes much in the US - they're not even called
>> handbrakes, they refer to it as the emergency brake.

I was wrong to call it a handbrake. My Focus' Owners Manual calls it a parking brake, as does the following MOT testers manual. www.motuk.co.uk/manual_3100.htm, and also as did my employer.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - TeeCee
>> I don't think they use handbrakes much in the US - they're not even called
>> handbrakes, they refer to it as the emergency brake. I can't remember ever getting into
>> a hire car in the US (I go a couple of times a year) and
>> finding the brake applied.
>>

First car I ever hired in the US was a Pontiac Grand Am. The "emergency brake" was just that. I reckon if it were operated repeatedly, it would have come off in my hand on about the fifth use. Ridiculously tinny it was.
Still, with autos being de rigeur, it makes no odds.

Worst place is CZ! Nobody, but nobody ever uses the handbrake and most cars are manual. Rather amusingly, if you are behind someone on a hill and they roll back into you, it's your fault for being too close(!)

I once performed a neat handbrake hill start with one of my Czech colleagues in the car. He immediately said; "Hey, that's clever. Could you do that again while I watch please?". I spent some time showing him and then we swapped places until he'd got the hang of it.

I reckon its a hangover from drum brakes and Czech winters freezing the drums and cables.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - Kithmo
The Toyota Prius has a foot operated parking brake, cables to the rear discs, and an electric "P" parking brake which peg locks the (ECVT auto) transmission. Although I haven't tried it because my coordination is pants, it should be easy enough to do a handbrake turn as the foot operated parking brake is simply a press on, press off affair.
 Foot operated "handbrake" - PeterS
Not just old MBs - mine has a foot operated handbrake along, I think, with all RWD models (bar perhaps the SLK?). I must confess however that I seldom use it, relying on 'Park' most of time. Must be getting lazy in my old age... I have to say though, in combination with the column shift on my car, not haing a conventional handbrake does free up a lot of space between the front seats. You'd think this would be of more benefit in smaller/narrower car, but I guess the lack of room in the footwell precludes their use?
 Foot operated "handbrake" - hawkeye
My manual Citroen XM had a foot-operated parking brake. The hand release meant the brake released all the way with a vile 'kerchonk' sound; bit out of place in a supposedly exec car. Satisfying to catch the exact point of release on the clutch but a real pain if you needed to stop/start on the same hill, especially when towing; Footbrake, clutch, into neutral, parking brake and breathe...

Foot operated "handbrake" - madf
I drove a Mercedes with foot handbrake for two years. It was an auto - and very useful. If it had been a manual it would have been a pia.

Right operated hand/foot brakes are more sensible.. lots more room..

Useful for hanging handbags on when the front bench seat was occupied. :-)
 Foot operated "handbrake" - BobbyG
My colleague was telling me at lunchtime that his wife's Merc is a manual but has a foot operated handbrake.
For hill starts etc keep the foot on the conventional brake and then when you release it, car won't roll back for a few seconds......

Could see it being a right PITA next to the clutch pedal though
Latest Forum Posts