Motoring Discussion > When did i pass my test ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 20

When did i pass my test ? - maltrap
Just been getting quotes for car insurance. When asked "when did you pass you test", as it was 50 odd years ago i'm struggling to remember ! am i right in thinking that my driving license number will show me ?
 When did i pass my test ? - rtj70
Your licence will show you when the entitlement started for driving a car. The back of the photo card lists category and the from/to dates. The paper counterpart will list provisional entitlement dates.
 When did i pass my test ? - Falkirk Bairn
I passed my test 22/9/1964, aged 17.

My photo driving licence quotes some odd date in the mid 1970's - presumable when driving licences went to DVLA Swansea rather than your local County Council.
 When did i pass my test ? - crocks
>> Your licence will show you when the entitlement started for driving a car.

It might for younger drivers but probably won't if you have driving for 50 years.

Mine says " From <23-07-74 " for all categories. I passed my bike test in 1970 and my car test in 1972.
 When did i pass my test ? - Zero
I am never asked "when did you pass your test" when I get quotes, it always says "how long have you held a license" with drop down boxes that seem to give up with a "more than 10 years" threshold.
 When did i pass my test ? - No FM2R
I think the driving licence number conceals your date of birth, not your date of test pass?
I failed to mention, mine is a paper license. (too tight to replace it 'till i have to!)
 When did i pass my test ? - Cliff Pope
>> Your licence will show you when the entitlement started for driving a car.
>>

My pink one doesn't.
The only dates shown is my birday - once in code, once in clear, and the date of issue of the pink licence to replace the original red booklet.

Does that mean no one has an an actual record of the date passed?
I know the year and can guess the month, so on insurance forms I just make up a date if they really want one. Can anyone disprove that?
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 20:19
 When did i pass my test ? - Ted

That's what I do as well, Cliff. I haven't a clue when I passed my car test or my slightly earlier bike one. Certainly about 50 yrs ago.

Which test do they want anyway....I suppose the one which refers to the vehicle you're insuring. I noticed on some of the comparison sites recently trawled through, a couple had a drop down list of years ending in 25+.

Ted
 When did i pass my test ? - Slidingpillar
My licence thinks it was the 17 September, but I'm pretty sure it was a month earlier. However since the year was 1977 I doubt if any insurer will care!
 When did i pass my test ? - Falkirk Bairn
>> My licence thinks it was the 17 September, but I'm pretty sure it was a
>> month earlier.

Passed your test, drove with Provisional + Pass Certificate and 1 month later sent off Provisional to Swansea for your full licence - hence the "lost month"
 When did i pass my test ? - WillDeBeest
No missing month on mine; the date is the day after I passed my test, which was 25 years ago last Saturday. I had nothing to drive anyway, so I imagine I sent off the paperwork straight away.
Passed your test, drove with Provisional + Pass Certificate and 1 month later sent off Provisional to Swansea for your full licence - hence the "lost month"

Which is a fair assumption, and I had wondered if I did it. But knowing me, I sent the lot off the day I passed. I must have had the full licence in my possession by the time I went to university as I drove an army landrover briefly, and I'm sure they checked I was entitled!

Really though, it does not matter, as there are no date related changes in driving entitlements, as unlike someone who passes a car test now, I can legally drive a car with a heavy trailer, up to 7.5 tonnes with a light trailer, a minibus, and my trike. All from passing my test in a 850cc Mini ah, the raw throbbing power...
 When did i pass my test ? - L'escargot
As others have suggested, just pick a date. When it comes to being "50 odd years ago" the exact date won't be of any significance. Just make sure that the date you choose isn't a date when tests wouldn't have been conducted ~ Sunday, Christmas Day etc. See a calendar for your chosen year to make sure .......... tinyurl.com/l4rcbw5
 When did i pass my test ? - jc2
Never been asked for actual date-I entered 50+yrs. but quote shows 10+!!!!
I've done a bit of mooching around and it seems that if you took your test pre 1974 there is no record. The DVLA came about in 1974.
 When did i pass my test ? - Zero
Pfftt honestly, some of these sprogs have never seen a little red book. Now that was a proper driving license. Stitched spine, Deep red cover, crown embossed on the front, endorsements written in fine cursive script and real ink.....
 When did i pass my test ? - helicopter
I would rather we still had those Z .... the current paper part of my licence is folded in my wallet and is getting very tatty.....

Somewhere in the attic is my old mans driving licence issued by Northumberland County Council in 1936.... I don't think he ever actually took a test.....
 When did i pass my test ? - TeeCee
>> I would rather we still had those Z .... the current paper part of my
>> licence is folded in my wallet and is getting very tatty.....
>>

Hmm, when I still had a UK license, mine lived elsewhere.
The reason? The only time I have ever been asked for it was when hiring a car. In Britain(!) I didn't have it on me and they let it slide.

Everywhere else, you just get the card. The supporting documentation is held on a computer somewhere and looked up from the number on the card if necessary.
For some reason, while the DVLA also has all the supporting information on a computer somewhere, you're still expected to have a copy yourself. Puzzles me a bit that.
 When did i pass my test ? - Harleyman

>> Hmm, when I still had a UK license, mine lived elsewhere.
>> The reason? The only time I have ever been asked for it was when hiring
>> a car. In Britain(!) I didn't have it on me and they let it slide.
>>
>> Everywhere else, you just get the card. The supporting documentation is held on a computer
>> somewhere and looked up from the number on the card if necessary.

There is talk of phasing the counterpart out over the next couple of years. My suspicion is that this will coincide with a drive to get everyone on photocard by making paper licences invalid.

Not before time. As an HGV driver I've been on plastic ones since they came in, don't see why anyone else should get away with it for nowt.

(puts tin hat on and dives into trench to await incoming..... ;-) )
Somewhere in the attic is my old mans driving licence issued by Northumberland County Council in 1936.... I don't think he ever actually took a test.....

He probably did do a test, since they were introduced at 1st April 1934, although there was a years grace given to avoid a sudden rush for tests. But tests were suspended during the second world war and during the Suez crisis (I know my father legally drove on L plates at that time and carried a passenger - my mum).

Don't know if once you had a licence, you could keep it, as when my three wheeler was made, a 14 year old could drive it, but later in 1930, the minimum age for a motorbike rose to 16. So whether there were 14 year old motorists and aggrieved 14 and 15 years who had to wait I don't know.
Latest Forum Posts