Motoring Discussion > Holiday in the Isle of Man Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Holiday in the Isle of Man - bathtub tom
Spent a week over there. I haven't been back for nearly fifty years - it doesn't seem to have changed much.

I reckon a passenger has to get out and open the gate before the 'plane can land: goo.gl/maps/ZKGT6

I only saw one car park that required payment, at Douglas ferry terminal and they had a one hour 'pick up and drop off'. Parking was free everywhere else, although with a limited time and displaying a clock to show your arrival time.

The roads are quiet and in generally better shape than the mainland. The NSL sign means NO speed limit, not that I had much chance of exploring the speed of my hired, 3-cylinder Micra. The car wasn't all bad, the trip computer showed it averaged fifty-odd MPG in the 300 miles of running I gave it. The advantage of a trip computer means you can take advantage of the 'return it empty' rule. It showed it had six miles remaining on the tank when I took it back.

You do need to keep an eye out for flying bikes on the de-restricted roads. I would raise a hand to show I'd seen them and pull a little left. The riders all gave a friendly wave on passing.

The temperature on the island last week was always a few degrees lower than the mainland, thankfully, but not as low as Anglesey I noticed. What goes on there RP?
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - Manatee
We had a family holiday in the IoM in about 67. Went with car on the ferry from Liverpewl.

Loved it. Never been back though. What are the pubs like?
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - AnotherJohnH
I vaguely recall going into Ronaldsway many years ago, and thought it was my appointment with St. Peter

goo.gl/maps/s4Ad6

the sea seems to get very close in the last few seconds..
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - Ted

Hope the Steam Packet have improved their safety as well.

A forgotten disaster.....

www.manxman.ch/indexdata/ellanvannin/ellanvannin.htm

Ted
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - RattleandSmoke
Anglesey seems to feel warmer than the stats suggest. Although when I was there a few weeks back it was about 22c there and 28c in Manchester. Still when camping 22c is hot enough.

I nearly went to the Isle of Man last year, but for some reason I changed my mind and decided to go to Spain, but then has I didn't have a passport or anything I decided to postpone the trip to Spain till May.

When I go away one of the main reasons is the weather, that is why apart from Anglesey I always seem to find myself down the south coast.

Holiday in the Isle of Man - jc2
You should fly into either Madeira or Montpellier-the runway is over the sea in the first and in it for the second.

>> I vaguely recall going into Ronaldsway many years ago, and thought it was my appointment
>> with St. Peter
>>
>> goo.gl/maps/s4Ad6
>>
>> the sea seems to get very close in the last few seconds..
>>
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - TeeCee
>> You should fly into either Madeira or Montpellier-the runway is over the sea in the
>> first and in it for the second.
>>

Try Male in the Maldives. There's a long, narrow causeway with a lollipop on the end for planes to turn on sticking well out into the sea there.

The wheels have been on the ground for quite some time before you get to see anything other than sea out of the window....
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - bathtub tom
>>What are the pubs like?

Few and far between. I found this CAMRA pub in Peel: goo.gl/maps/jZCVh

Thanks to Flybe we didn't arrive until 9:00pm on a Sunday. We'd gone for self-catering and thought we'd stop at a pub for a bite to eat on our way - fat chance, they stop serving around 8:00pm every day.
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - BobbyG
Just looked at IOM on Google Maps - have to confess I didn't realise it was so far up - is it physically closer to Scotland than England?
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - Zero
Yeah, by about 13 miles. You can have it when we cast you lot off into the wilderness.
 Holiday in the Isle of Man - BobbyG
It is getting more tempting by the minute.....
Latest Forum Posts