Motoring Discussion > USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - BobbyG
Have just uploaded a video taken from the car of the approach to Hoover Dam - if its of any interest to anyone here it is

youtu.be/dxWVp9nSTlY

Didn't realise how much Youtube killed the video quality, the difference between the original and youtube version is very noticeable!

Would appreciate any comments / feedback (on here) and be patient, first time I have ever edited and dubbed a video for upload!
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - rtj70
You can upload better quality video to Youtube.

EDIT: But forget quality of image... that audio track is rubbish.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Sep 13 at 01:35
How do you upload better quality?

As for the audio track, it was the first track I could think of related to electricity! Although I could have went for Telegraph Road maybe for the first part!
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - sherlock47
Did you just do a driveby. Not stop and at least look over the edge?
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - legacylad
Which reminds me I must get to listen to the new Pet Shop Boys album 'Electric'. V good reviews.
Picture quality looked fine to me. And I miss those lovely blue skies and heat already.
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - sooty123
You can't stop on bridge or not supposed to. The car park is just after where bobbys film stops.
Film quality looks good enough to me.
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - Zero
I hop you stopped and did the tour into the power halls?
Thanks for comments re quality, it definitely is a lot poorer than original so I guess that is a compliment to the quality of the £66 camera.

As mentioned, I parked up shortly after that film finished and we spent about an hour wandering about etc. Didnt do the tour, my brother had previously done it and didnt speak to highly about it and none of the other three were wanting to do it.

The heat made the desire to get back into the air conditioned car much more important.
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - Westpig
>> As mentioned, I parked up shortly after that film finished and we spent about an
>> hour wandering about etc. Didnt do the tour, my brother had previously done it and
>> didnt speak to highly about it and none of the other three were wanting to
>> do it.

You'll have to go back, the tour was good.
>> >> As mentioned, I parked up shortly after that film finished and we spent about
>> an
>> >> hour wandering about etc. Didnt do the tour, my brother had previously done it
>> and
>> >> didnt speak to highly about it and none of the other three were wanting
>> to
>> >> do it.
>>
>>
>> You'll have to go back, the tour was good.

Yes, you missed out there, the tour is excellent. I have done it twice, and even Nicole thought it interesting and informative and worth the effort. (and she's a girl for christ sake)
Zero, interesting you saying about doing Hoover twice - this holiday was the best holiday by far we have ever had. Now there were obviously loads of things we never got to see or do but I don't know if I would want to revisit anything that we had already done in case it dampens the memory and is not as impressive.
Having said that, could revisit the Dam to do the tour (after slapping my brother for saying its not worth it).
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - No FM2R
>>but I don't know if I would want to revisit anything

IMO there's an awful lot of things in this world see see once before you start seeing anything twice.
>> Thanks for comments re quality, it definitely is a lot poorer than original so I
>> guess that is a compliment to the quality of the £66 camera.

Are you playing it back in HD and not the youtube default? What editor did you use to pop it up?
The camera is HD so recorded in that format and then used Windows Live Movie Maker to dub the sound on.
Then had to resave it in a wmv format as youtube wont take movie maker files.

Have previously also used VLC but couldn't find where to dub the audio?
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - sooty123
Pity you didnt get the chance to go on the tour. I quite enjoyed it. Still its a nice place to have a walk round, the 30s touches on the buildings I quite liked. Bobby did you go through Henderson and get chance to look round on the journey?
Didn't go through Henderson, that day we had travelled from Flagstaff, along some of Route 66 and then out to Hoover Dam and our destination Vegas.

I could upload the driving down Vegas boulevard if you want but would need suggestions on the audio -Elvis Viva Las Vegas??

I know many people talk about the scenery in Scotland being breathtaking and maybe living here we get a bit blase about it, but I found the scenery in Sedona, canyon and just travelling to Vegas and LA etc was as breathtaking as I have seen. The sheer huge expanse of, obviously , mainly desert.

Have a video of the approach to Sedona with its red rocks and that is truly stunning.
If you carry on like this I will upload the view from the helicopter over the canyon
not in the motoring thread you won't!! ;)
 USA - Driving down to Hoover Dam - legacylad
Slight thread drift....my CA Placerville friends took a heli flight over the Bay area from Sausalito. And they flew under GG bridge. Whey hey! Make a great 'video' out of the stills taken.

Next time the OP should head further north to the Tahoe area. One of my favourite places in the world, of those which I have visited. Winter or summer, its a fantastic place. And easy to escape the crowds at South Shore by Stateline.
>> not in the motoring thread you won't!! ;)

Ok, Ill post some vids of the rag top I hired, not some ruddy mini bus.
Approaching from the Vegas side if I am not mistaken, when i was there that new bridge was due to open.

Quality looks ok to me
Yeah we were actually coming from the Canyon to Vegas but yeah, you cross that bridge and then come off and work your way back down.

That day, the outside temperature was 121 degrees!
Latest Forum Posts