Motoring Discussion > Recommend travel insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 5

Recommend travel insurance - hawkeye
Mrs H is off to France next week at short notice. I need to buy some recovery insurance in case she and her car need repatriation. I'm with GEM which doesn't do EU cover.

Any recommendations from the collective wisdom out there?

TIA
 Recommend travel insurance - Meldrew
If she is using the tunnel they sell insurance as part of the ticket package an extra and google found this www.europeanbreakdowncover.com/?gclid=CIHp0fCkyrgCFcfJtAodoicARg
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 25 Jul 13 at 10:04
 Recommend travel insurance - Alanovich
A word of warning on Allianz Assistance. I have their annual cover, and it doesn't cover you on French motorways. You have to get (and pay for) a local breakdown company to get you off the motorway, then Allianz will come out to you. I don't know if that's common to other insurers. If I'd spotted that ricket sooner, I'd have looked elsewhere to check before buying.

Happily haven't needed to use it yet on two French trips this year.
 Recommend travel insurance - jc2
It's normal on all French TOLL roads-they are privately owned.You will be towed off by the company owning the road and charged for this-you can normally recover this charge from your own recovery company.

>> A word of warning on Allianz Assistance. I have their annual cover, and it doesn't
>> cover you on French motorways. You have to get (and pay for) a local breakdown
>> company to get you off the motorway, then Allianz will come out to you. I
>> don't know if that's common to other insurers. If I'd spotted that ricket sooner, I'd
>> have looked elsewhere to check before buying.
>>
>> Happily haven't needed to use it yet on two French trips this year.
>>
 Recommend travel insurance - FocalPoint
We took out breakdown/recovery with the RAC last summer when we toured France. It seemed reasonable enough and I can say that when we needed them... because of a little problemette relating to a flattish battery, caused by someone leaving the fridge on all night... anyway, we had a truck out with a starter pack in a remote part of les Alpes-de-Haute-Provence within half an hour. "Tout simple," as the guy said.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 25 Jul 13 at 15:35
 Recommend travel insurance - hawkeye
Thank you.
Latest Forum Posts