Motoring Discussion > Car hackers use laptop to control standard car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23443215

"They filmed themselves in the back of one of the vehicles steering it left and right, activating the brakes and showing the fuel gauge drop to zero, all while the vehicle was under driver control and in motion.

They admitted that they had destroyed a few cars while refining their technique."

Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - movilogo
Is it only possible in Prius or just any modern car?

AFAIK, Prius has drive-by-wire accelerator.

PS: If a manufacturer now introduces a completely manual car, I bet they will see huge sales :-)

Last edited by: movilogo on Fri 26 Jul 13 at 08:53
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - TeeCee
>> AFAIK, Prius has drive-by-wire accelerator.
>>

Er, most modern cars have a drive-by-wire throttle. Throttle operates Throttle Position Sensor. ECU uses TPS input and a variety of other pieces of information to position intake butterfly and control fuelling for the most efficient production of the desired response.

The thing that makes the Prius popular with the autonomous car folk (like Google) is that the steering and braking functions also have an existing measure of ECU control, which can be easily extended for full autonomy, courtesy of the self-parking feature and electromechanical regeneration.
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - BobbyG
Talking of self parking - yesterday my colleague was telling me how one of his wife's clients had being showing off his new car and its self park feature. Apparently it parked itself in a very tight spot.

Apparently these cars don't come with the option of automated "getting back out of the car space" and he had to sit there until one of the other cars moved as he couldn't get the car out himself...........
>> he had to sit there until one of the other cars moved as he couldn't get the car out himself........

That's very interesting! Never thought about that.

This defeats the whole purpose of having automated parking. With manual parking, if I can't fit somewhere myself, I just move to a larger space. However, you can't prevent someone else kissing your bumper after you left your vehicle.

Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - Zero
thats complete horlicks, if a car can get in to a spot, it can get out of a spot, no matter who is controlling.
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - Crankcase
Further, the current Toyota self park does indeed have a get you out feature as well as get you in.
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - Old Navy
If people do not have the skill to park their car it is not surprising that they don't have the skill to unpark it.
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - BobbyG
I would suggest that if someone needs a car to park itself, then the chances are thatperson isn't capable of getting it out!
Can you let the car park itself in driving test? One can argue as it is becoming common then should be allowed (provided they are only allowed to drive auto-parking cars).
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - alfalfa
AFIRC the TED podcasts have one called "Can everything be hacked?" and this discusses the hacking or controlling of pacemakers and cars. Sobering stuff!

alfalfa
www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/26/scientist-banned-revealing-codes-cars
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - sherlock47
>>> it can get out of a spot, no matter who is controlling. <<<

probably not if it is lastword or his wife :)

Him : the clutch would not last

Her: she has a proven inability to stay on the road
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 27 Jul 13 at 08:39
 Car hackers use laptop to control standard car - Cliff Pope
"A spokesman for Toyota told the BBC that because the hardware had to be physically connected inside the car, he did not consider it to be "hacking". "

You could hack into my car by placing a brick on the accelerator and jumping out.
Latest Forum Posts