Motoring Discussion > SPECS camera for the A9 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 6

SPECS camera for the A9 - BobbyG
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23462860

have differing views on this - there is no doubt the A9 has a history of many accidents and fatalities, but would be very interested to see how many of these were speed related.

It has issues of dual / single carriageways, joining roads, foreign drivers, lorries limited to 40mph etc etc.

It might help if they also guarantee to remove the scamera vans which tend to be positioned at the only safe overtaking points!
 SPECS camera for the A9 - Runfer D'Hills
That used to be a great road. Especially when Constable McTumshie and Sgt McFadzean were on their lunch break...
 SPECS camera for the A9 - Old Navy
The problem with the A9 is with the drivers using it. It just has to be made idiot proof.
 SPECS camera for the A9 - Armel Coussine
>> It just has to be made idiot proof.

Nothing, nothing at all, can be made idiot proof ON: road, vehicle, any device at all. In a long life of observing the idiots who surround me, I have learned that the true, blue-chip, class 1 idiot is remarkably ingenious and original, with an endless capacity to surprise, to do the utterly unexpected.

Would have thought you'd know that after a career in the armed forces.

>> Nothing, nothing at all, can be made idiot proof ON:
>>
>> Would have thought you'd know that after a career in the armed forces.
>>

Agreed, the A9 is not even amateur idiot proof, It is easy to spot the locals and regular users, they always have their headlights on. You must always watch for the wrong side of the road driver and be prepared to avoid them, they think they are in the right.

NEVER be in a hurry on the A9. (Or any remote single carriageway road in tourist areas.)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 26 Jul 13 at 14:08
 SPECS camera for the A9 - Manatee
I really like the A9, avoid the busiest times and it's the most pleasant 100 miles I know.

It really shouldn't be dangerous, but we know it is.

The A1 is probably good training for it. For randomly injected terror and knock on consequences, not much can compete with a tractor joining a fast dual carriageway, then changing lanes and turning right within a few hundred yards.
I have only met a foreign registered car driving on the wrong side of the road once, (on the A87 near Dornie). Early morning in the summer so fortunately daylight and also fortunately on a straight bit of road. It certainly gets your full attention!
Latest Forum Posts