Motoring Discussion > Citroen - A replacement car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 36

Citroen - A replacement car - Roger.
My feet are lacking, due to my sciatica, in sensitivity, which combined with a small footwell in our Fiat Panda, is making my driving as jerky as that of of a learner drive. On occasions, starting from rest I over-rev the engine before engaging the clutch which is not good at any level.
Our family will be back in the UK (Suffolk) soon and it seems that we will be doing a greater mileage than we have over the last couple of years.
I think an automatic car would help in my driving more smoothly and a slightly largrer car would help with trips to Suffok.
Looking on Autotrader, I have come across the C3 Sensodrive, which looks a good idea in principle.

What do our panellists think?

tinyurl.com/n84owz3
 Citroen - A replacement car - Dog
I think this could be a better bet Dodger:

www.sandmoormotors.co.uk/12382/stock.htm
 Citroen - A replacement car - maltrap
As someone who's driven automatic cars for the last 20 years i certainly think you're doing the right thing in going for an automatic. as for which one i'll let other's offer their advice. The obvious thing to consider is, like for like automatic's usually use more fuel than manual. Maybe a diesel auto' shoul be considered depending on the miles you anticipate doing.
 Citroen - A replacement car - Falkirk Bairn
9 yr old Citroen with a semi-auto gearbox (which is another name for an automated manual)

I would avoid like the plague.

I drove manuals all my life (49 years mostly 20K+ per year). Occasional autos on car-hires.

Chemotherapy has damaged my hands and feet and suffered same issues of over revving, struggles with hill starts etc and I bought my first auto 9 months ago. Auto is magic ,dodgem car driving - it so much easier.

My feet are marginally better than they were so I still drive my other car for short trips - with no hill starts!
 Citroen - A replacement car - mikeyb
Out of all the semi autos / automated clutch cars then I would say that PSA are the worst of the bunch. Not sure how they fair reliability wise, but not sure I would want to find out either.
 Citroen - A replacement car - -
Nay nay and thrice nay, they were truly awful and several years down the line won't have improved it, questionable reliability and even more questionable ability for the dealers to fix it when it goes wrong, i haven't single good word to say about that gearbox of satan, the manoeuvering of which is hell itself.

Very rare, but the C3 1.6SX had a proper autobox, i have no idea how reliable its been in service but it was as nice to use as the Sensodrive was dreadful.

Its not possible to drive Sensodrive or whatever they now call it smoothly no matter how you try.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 26 Jul 13 at 20:22
GB - advice taken on board.
Ta!
 Citroen - A replacement car - Ted

We had a C3 sensodrive as SWMBO's last car.........foul bit of kit. We both hated it. I don't know how they've got the cheek to put them on the market. Made of kitchen foil as well...don't lean on one !

Got a good trade in against the ex Motability 1600 Note with the proper slushbox auto. Bliss !
You can't not drive a proper auto smoothly. My TD Vitara has a proper TC box as well....point it and go !

I have sensitivity probbles wiv me feet as well due to diabetes. I drive a lot of manual cars, and I still seem ok with them. Prefer the proper auto any day, though.

Ted
Still looking at other automatics on AutoTrader, but horrified at the massive jump in VED on most of them :-(
 Citroen - A replacement car - ....
Drive an automated manual like a manual and you will not be disappointed. Expect Mercedes S class slushmatic and you will be hugely dissapointed.

You really do get what you pay for, We have 4.5 years living with this supposed gearbox from hell which my wife actually specified come replacement time but then she doesn't have a transporter ramp to tackle each day with it.
 Citroen - A replacement car - sherlock47
After 5000 miles with the new Citroen 'automated manual' in a Berlingo XTR it still receives compliments from the passengers on smoothness of changes*. I have only caught it out 2or3 times, on the same 1in4 hairpin bend in a cul de sac, at walking pace. In normal driving in rural enviroment it just makes you lazy! However, if I was loading it up a car transporter everyday it may not be fit for purpose.

* maybe they have become to expect my normal style ;)
I admit my hatred for automated manuals, and for engines with poor low speed torque has come from my years of transporter driving, where absolute control is a must.

Such extremes do give you an insight IMO into how pleasurable the car will be to live with, not necessarily on the motorway but in the normal cut and thrust and crawl of modern driving, there really is little more miserable than a severely underpowered at low revs engine or one you have to give (even subconciously) more revs and excessive clutch slip to get it to move every time you stop or slow almost to stop.

Conversely the pleasure of having just that bit more makes such a huge difference to driving pleasure.

By the way, i'm finished with the transporters after 20 years and have been for 4 years and now drive a tanker, but my hatred of automated manuals is still burned deep...including the ones i have to drive for a living, have beaten mine into submission and driven manually it actually gives reasonable economy (it won't in full auto) now only really frustrates at junctions and when manoeuvering..:-)

The only way IMO to have an automated manual in a car in useable form is to spec an engine thats torquey enough, a less torquey engine with one is going to be hell.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 28 Jul 13 at 08:50
 Citroen - A replacement car - MD
We have a Mitsubishi Colt automated manual. To be fair it is difficult to fault it. Used as a manual (Tiptronic) it is a delight and once you get used to it the auto is brilliant. Ours is a 59 plate and has no creep in auto which I find slightly disappointing, but later ones have that built in which I find is better. Don't heap all automated manuals in the same group. The Colt is very well equipped, air con, ABS. The only downside for me is that the seats could be more supportive, but as we only do 4000 miles per annum it is not too much of a problem.
>> We have a Mitsubishi Colt automated manual. To be fair it is difficult to fault
>> it. Used as a manual (Tiptronic) it is a delight and once you get used
>> to it the auto is brilliant. Ours is a 59 plate and has no creep
>> in auto which I find slightly disappointing, but later ones have that built in which
>> I find is better. Don't heap all automated manuals in the same group. The Colt
>> is very well equipped, air con, ABS. The only downside for me is that the
>> seats could be more supportive, but as we only do 4000 miles per annum it
>> is not too much of a problem.

Had a look at the Colt auto on Autotrader. I must say I like the look of them. Food for thought, as all the French offerings have been trashed by the panel!
 Citroen - A replacement car - sherlock47
>>>is to spec an engine thats torquey enough, a less torquey engine with one is going to be hell.<<<

maybe it is because my XTR is an HDi diesel - (but only a 90:( ) that makes it more than tolerable. Must look up the torque figures cf the petrols.

Diesel 110 (1.6)
Max power (bhp/rpm) 107/4000
Pulling power (lb/ft) 177

Diesel 90 (1.6)
Max power (bhp/rpm) 89/4000
Pulling power (lb/ft) 159

Diesel 75 (1.6)
Max power (bhp/rpm) 74/4000
Pulling power (lb/ft) 136

Petrol 1.6
Max power (bhp/rpm) 97/6000
Pulling power (lb/ft) 112
Never drove a Berlingo with automated manual, indeed the dealers for years wanted a proper TC auto version as they would have sold like hot cakes, including one to me.

Always found PSA vans (Bipper excluded) to be well sorted with lots of low down torque, even from the 1.4 petrol in Berlingo 1 which would pull right down to stall speeds without a murmer, so it makes perfect sense that the Berly you have PMH has good low speed torque whatever its supposed output.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 28 Jul 13 at 09:37
How about this one?

tinyurl.com/qhfmtj8
 Citroen - A replacement car - Zero
Brave - very brave.

However, my mother a 2003 version of one of these

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307227933401/

Got it for her second hand, ex motability. Its been reliable, its comfortable, its nippy, its relatively economical and this Mk of clio has a proper auto box.

Citroen - A replacement car - corax
If you have sciatica, then why not a car where you're sitting a bit higher with your feet lower, which should help your back.

tinyurl.com/lro678b

Diesel with torque converter auto. Good space and comfortable. Or is your budget lower?
Last edited by: corax on Sun 28 Jul 13 at 12:36
>> Or is your budget lower?
>>
Much lower!

It's not my back which is the problem, it's lack of feeling in my trotters.
The Clio has a high VED, though, :-(
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 28 Jul 13 at 12:39
As you have found out, most small automatics in your price band have much higher VEDs than the manual equivalent.

The ones that don't are newer and more expensive to buy. Swings and roundabouts.
>> Brave - very brave.
>>
Go on - I'll bite - why?
that "shakin its ass" Megane was the very peak of Renaults poor reliability phase, it had a shocking reliability record, and those auto gearboxes were appallingly unreliable.

Shed loads were sold, look around you at how many you still see running on the road. 6 years max economic life if you are lucky.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 13:25
Thats a very good point Z, see more of previous shaped Megane about now than the shakin its ass model, i just hadn't noticed them vanish.

The idiotic credit card style key once it started to pack up was going to be an arm and leg to fix before anything is considered, give me a straightforward blessed ignition key with useable outside keyholes and a proper handbrake every time.
 Citroen - A replacement car - madf
You cannot say such things about Renault. Someone is bound to come on and defend them.

And anyway, it reinforces my aversion of French cars: I have been accused of being prejudiced against things French. Moi?
 Citroen - A replacement car - BobbyG
Although most Renaults will eventually end up as scrap, Zero has sped this process up in the past.....
Humane, thats me.
 Citroen - A replacement car - Alanovich
>> Although most Renaults will eventually end up as scrap

As opposed to most examples of other marques, which will become................what, exactly?
>> >> Although most Renaults will eventually end up as scrap
>>
>> As opposed to most examples of other marques, which will become................what, exactly?

Scrap, but much later in life.
 Citroen - A replacement car - Alanovich
Which isn't what BobbyG implied. But thanks for answering on someone else's behalf.

:-)
 Citroen - A replacement car - belucky22
This is a matter that I've spent many hours investigating. It seems to me that the traditional torque converter auto is better than others. I'm going to look at a Hyundai ix 20 auto. Advice I've received is that this is dependable - and 5 years warranty. Good Luck.
Well as we both have had Renaults longer than those still in the honeymoon phase, I felt i was equally qualified to answer.

>> And anyway, it reinforces my aversion of French cars: I have been accused of being
>> prejudiced against things French. Moi?
Their letters are not nice, either.
Their women are exquis!
..................but they have hairy armpits :-)
You can't be too fussy at my age and wage!
Latest Forum Posts