Motoring Discussion > double yellow lines Green Issues
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 10

double yellow lines - zookeeper
im surprised no one has started this thread

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23488437

anyway what does the panel think?
 double yellow lines - Manatee
Stupid. If the double yellows aren't needed, they shouldn't be there. If they are, nobody should park there.

The option is there now to allow parking up to 15 minutes if that is appropriate. The man is an idiot, playing to the gallery.
 double yellow lines - Cockle
Agreed, Manatee.

Also, if I park there for 15 minutes while I pop in the shop then as soon as I've gone motorist B stops, then, when he goes motorist C comes along, then D, then E and so on then there will be a vehicle there virtually all the time. That then begs the question why is the double yellow there? Also will this apply to all double yellows? If so then how will the motorist know which are fair game for his 15 minute jaunt as opposed to those where parking would be regarded as dangerous and therefore still ticketable?

Now if he was to suggest replacing double yellows in the appropriate places with lines of a different colour, say, green which could then denote a stopping place with maximum 15 minute wait then the idea might have some legs.
 double yellow lines - TeeCee
>> Now if he was to suggest replacing double yellows in the appropriate places with lines
>> of a different colour, say, green which could then denote a stopping place with maximum
>> 15 minute wait then the idea might have some legs.
>>

They've already gone the other way some years ago with the "Red routes" in London.
Double yellow = don't stop here.
Double red = don't stop here and we really mean it.

If anyone were in any doubt, the outcry from retailers who got yellows replaced with reds said everything you needed to know. If yellows were actually being enforced in anything other than a cursory manner, there would have been no issue, but in fact many of the shops on these roads were getting the bulk of their trade from passing traffic.

My favourite example of the cavalier enforcement was on my route to work many years ago. Every Wednesday morning, like clockwork, an artic full of mattresses would turn up at a bed shop. Double yellows, no loading at peak time, yet nobody ever did a damned thing about it. Wednesday's commute took around 45 minutes longer, due to the monumental traffic jam caused by having an entire lane blocked for the duration. Never mind a parking ticket, he should have been done for obstruction....
 double yellow lines - L'escargot
In our small town, which has a police station but no police or traffic wardens on the streets, a lot of drivers park wherever they choose for as long as they choose ~ on double yellow lines, next to "no parking" signs etc.
 double yellow lines - bathtub tom
I tend to think double yellows are there for a reason and allowing parking on them would only cause problems, but we're already part way there as disabled badge holders are permitted to park on them.
 double yellow lines - Zero
>> I tend to think double yellows are there for a reason and allowing parking on
>> them would only cause problems, but we're already part way there as disabled badge holders
>> are permitted to park on them.

Are they? Not sure thats the case.

You either have double yellows or you have short term parking bays. Anything else is a recipe for confusion.
 double yellow lines - Ted

Blue badge holders are allowed to park on dubble yellers for up to 3 hours unless there is a loading restriction in force at the time.

Still subject to the laws on obstruction, however.

Ted
 double yellow lines - DP
I don't think this is such a good idea, but I do think that increasingly draconian treatment of motorists by local authorities, together with high parking charges is part of the reason behind the decline of the High Street.

I'm from Oxford, and when I look at what Oxford City Council has done over the years to discourage car use by a series of policies amounting to little more than sheer harassment of motorists, I can't help wondering how many other towns and cities have suffered similar fates.

Why go to the High Street and run the gauntlet of ANPR traffic enforcement cameras and over-zealous traffic wardens to pay £4 an hour to park your car, when you can drive to an out of town shopping centre, avoid all the hassle, and park outside the door free of charge for as long as you like within reason.

It's no wonder the places are dying.
 double yellow lines - L'escargot
In Ireland .............

One yellow line ~ no parking
Two yellow lines ~ no parking at all
Three yellow lines ~ no parking at all at all.
 double yellow lines - Alastairw
There are double yellow lines outside my nearest corners shop because, well, it is on a corner. They are routinely ignored because apparently they do not apply if one is only 'popping in for a packet of fags' to quote the charmless hag who aimed her newish Berlingo at me as I walked along the pavement.
Latest Forum Posts