Motoring Discussion > Your Nicked! 165MPH Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 30

Your Nicked! 165MPH - Zero
A man caught driving at speeds of up to 165mph on the M57 motorway on Merseyside has been banned.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23524736
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - BobbyG
Reminds me in USA on various interstates, there were signs advising that speeds were being monitored from aircraft.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Videodoctor
Cupid stunt
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - R.P.
So who were the members of the public (that the Inspector chap refers to) that were put at risk ?? On a deserted motorway. Deserved to be done, no need to hype it up though.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - sooty123
I wonder why it took 18 months to come to court?
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - sooty123
'Reminds me in USA on various interstates, there were signs advising that speeds were being monitored from aircraft.'

Yeah I thought they were a myth but they do exist, knocking about usually out in the sticks.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 31 Jul 13 at 22:45
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - henry k
>> 'Reminds me in USA on various interstates, there were signs advising that speeds were being monitored from aircraft.'
>>
>> Yeah I thought they were a myth but they do exist, knocking about usually out in the sticks.
>>
How quaint and polite to have a warning sign :-)
IIRC the markers on some of our out of town fast roads are for speed checks from the sky

www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/22524/speed-cameras-in-helicopter-will-catch-every-speeding-driver-warns-traffic-ministry

www.guy-sports.com/humor/pictures/picture_car_speeding.htm
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Old Navy
I have seen these aircraft enforcement warning signs in the UK, can't remember where, possibly Midlands / Peak District area or high motorcyclist death rate areas.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 1 Aug 13 at 07:47
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Meldrew
There used to be large white squares painted on some A roads, about 2 feet square. I understood that these were a mile apart and were used for timing cars from aircraft or helicopters. I don't the budgets run to this activity any more!
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Meldrew
There used to be large white squares painted on some A roads, about 2 feet square. I understood that these were a mile apart and were used for timing cars from aircraft or helicopters. I don't the budgets run to this activity any more!
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Manatee
A rather exaggerated response to send the helicopter, taken in perspective. Average 120mph in an R8 isn't crime of the century on an empty motorway.

I suppose being Murkyside, the default response is that it must be stolen.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Armel Coussine
So if you want to give your capable jalopy a cautious, safe, twice-the-NSL-plus squirt for half a mile somewhere, you now have to carry an aircraft spotter like a submarine wallowing on the surface...
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - L'escargot
In the 1960s I remember reading about Desmond "Dizzy" Addicott doing 200 mph testing his racing car on the M1. Ah, the good old days. www.minimarcos.org.uk/mmhda.html
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - henry k
Officers filmed the car from above and worked out Mahmoon was travelling at an average speed of between 144mph and 165mph – though police believe he could have been travelling faster at one point.

Defending himself, he claimed he had no recollection of the early morning incident because he had suffered a brain injury which affected his memory.

The court heard Mahmoon, of Oldham, had previous convictions for driving while disqualified and driving without due care and attention. He was also previously found guilty of possessing cannabis with intent to supply.

He was also told to pay fines and costs of £515. When asked if he could pay the full amount immediately, he put his hand in his pocket and replied sarcastically: ‘I’m about £10 short.’

I smiled at the comment from guess what organisation
"A driver travelling at that speed cannot pre-empt what hazards may be just around the corner and it is a very irresponsible act."

Beware of corners on motorways?’
you would be surprised how slight motorway bends become corners at 165mph.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - legacylad
I've done far more dangerous things than that on the road when in my teens. It was many years ago, almost 40, and myself, and friends, got away with it.

If I had an R8 , it was 5am on a deserted motorway, I would give it the beans. Probably not 165 but certainly ton up plus. The BBC reporter made me laugh when he said that 'fortunately' it was early morning. Bet you couldn't drive at those speeds 3 hours later.

Where do I volunteer to look after the R8, or does it go back to the lease company? At least in my soft top I can hear a chopper overhead. Even at speed....
Given that he paid for it with drug money, can you buy a 100k+ with cash?
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - legacylad
Plenty of individuals in this country could buy a car for £100k cash. However, I doubt any do. They will probably be business owners who lease, or whatever method of purchase is most financially astute.

Speaking personally, even if I won millions on a lottery, I do not think I could bring myself to spend that kind of money. I might pay a third party to source an immaculate second hand one, but I would get far greater satisfaction donating what I had saved to a number of small, volunteer staffed , charities. That's just my nature I suppose, and its not going to change anytime soon.

>> to source an immaculate second hand one, but I would get far greater satisfaction donating
>> what I had saved to a number of small, volunteer staffed , charities. That's just
>> my nature I suppose, and its not going to change anytime soon.

Your gratification and satisfaction is indeed noble, allow you to fulfill this dream, I have this small charity that needs urgent funding.

Its the ZJXFSB fund, a little known but worthy little charity. Deserves your patronage.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Old Navy
>> Its the ZJXFSB fund, a little known but worthy little charity. Deserves your patronage.
>>

Is phishing covered by the forum spam rules? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 1 Aug 13 at 09:28
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Ted

Chummy is reported in the paper this morning as saying ' I'm going to keep driving...catch me if you can !...Nyer! '

Wouldn't be so easy to do if he was gripping the bars of his cell rather than a steering wheel.

Ted
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - VxFan
>> Chummy is reported in the paper this morning as saying ' I'm going to keep
>> driving...catch me if you can !...Nyer! '

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/catch-you-can---speeding-5387052
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - bathtub tom
>>Chummy is reported in the paper this morning as saying ' I'm going to keep driving...catch me if you can !...Nyer! '

Isn't that comment sufficient for him to be hauled back before the court?
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Alastairw
Matey was described as 'unemployed' on last nights news. I hope the authorities are looking closely at how he can generate the fund to even hire such a vehicle - you have to assume nefarious means imo.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Baz
I hardly think it's an earth shattering crime. He certainly didn't appear to be putting anyone at risk from the clip I watched, let's be honest it's not a big deal on an empty motorway in a car like that. LIke Legacy above, I would also have been way way over the legal limit under similar circumstances. That doesn't make it right, but this is just a PC reaction from the do-gooders. Whether the guy is a low life or where he got his money is irrelevant.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - bathtub tom
>> Matey was described as 'unemployed' on last nights news. I hope the authorities are looking
>> closely at how he can generate the fund to even hire such a vehicle -
>> you have to assume nefarious means imo.

"He was previously convicted of possessing cannabis with intent to supply."
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Dave_
Whilst I was loading at a LR dealer a couple of months ago, a pair of smartly dressed young gents of a similar appearance to the R8 driver above pulled up in an 11-plate Hummer H3 and started looking around the nearly new Range Rover Sports. The fleet chap who was sorting out my paperwork told me they sell a couple of RRSs a month to such types, none of their business where the money comes from. And I thought it was just a tongue-in-cheek stereotype...
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Fri 2 Aug 13 at 00:45
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - Armel Coussine
I watched the short clip. Nothing dangerous was done, the driving was unexceptionable.

Although the car is highly capable I don't like it much.

The driver is a braggart and slightly asking for it. If he drives they will be keen to catch him

A helicopter flew over here very low, 300 feet or so, twice in succession about half an hour ago. They always make me feel paranoid when they do that, not for any reason in particular. .
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - MD
Illicit Still perhaps.
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - madf
Cannabis farm heat signatures...
 Your Nicked! 165MPH - sherlock47
>>> A helicopter flew over here very low, 300 feet or so, twice in succession about half an hour ago. They always make me feel paranoid when they do that, not for any reason in particular. . <<<

I remember an incident in the States, driving from Boston to Niagra Falls, where a Police helicopter tagged us from above and sat directly above us at speed for several miles. A most unnerving experience.
Latest Forum Posts